“Weekend with friends.”
Review of The Anglesey Hotel

The Anglesey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Gosport
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Had a great week end with friends. Location ideal for a little shopping and sightseeing. Our room was comfortable with great views. Ate at the hotel on the one evening of our stay and our meal was superb! All staff were friendly and attentive. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We've been to the Anglesey a number of times now and I have to say the food is very hit and miss and the service can be poor too. I took my father in law here for Fathers Day and we had a wonderful day, although the service was pretty bad and we struggled to get the waitresses attention and I agree with another reviewer the staff did all appear to be young and inexperienced. Overjoyed with my experience overall, I took a friend here a few months ago and the food was terrible. We thought some cheesecake would cheer us up but they were both inedible and had to be sent back. We gave it one last go a couple of weeks ago and once again the service and food was average to poor. It's such a shame as Alverstoke really needs somewhere like the Anglesey to relax with like minded people with tip top melt in the mouth food. This place could be truly awesome if perhaps the chef took pride in producing great food, not shovelling out whatever he can as quickly as he can. Please note I don't blame the chef but for the prices you do expect a lot more and with a little bit more innovation and care this could quickly become a 5* establishment.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HLSBristol
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Two nights stopover with breakfast; did not have evening meal. Most aspects of the hotel reached an adequate level which was disappointing given the cost of the rooms; I would have expected better based purely on what we were charged. The location was excellent for us and I suspect the management and staff have become a bit complacent.
Breakfast was okay but came before we had chance to have cereal and as mentioned by others, fresh fruit should be already prepared and ready. Not attention to detail with people having to ask constantly for 'things', a little awareness from staff would be welcomed although waitress (bless her) was far too busy attending tables. We enjoyed (as a visitor) the wedding entertainment but were not pre-warned when booking which is a must as the restaurant was closed and the bar used so reduced facilities. Lovely staircase but why don't all the lights work and the iron and board on landing looks untidy? Room was too small for a double bed, chair provided but you cannot sit on it as too close to bed. Much of this could be resolved simply and at little cost. Finally staff seemed disengaged; sorting this could give the place a better feel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed at the Anglesey for 2 nights on 20 and 21 September. We were in Gosport for a family get-together. I last stayed there for a similar reason 8 years ago, under different ownership. I have emailed the hotel (at the address on their website) with the following observations but have received no reply.

Our room was perfectly comfortable and quiet, and we had two good nights' sleep. A curious detail - the full sized kettle provided was too big for the basin. The dressing table had been in the wars.

In view of the previous review, it's worth deconstructing the breakfast in a bit of detail - I'd rate it as one of the poorest hotel breakfast experiences I've had in a while.

The staff that we met at breakfast were friendly and helpful, no problem there. My main concerns were over the breakfast itself. If the following sounds nit-picking, I'd say it would have been good value at half the price.

At £96 a night I would certainly expect real coffee. Coffee here is a bowl of catering grade instant left on the side table with a vacuum pump flask of water. Instant coffee is not proper coffee. Moreover, it was left in an open bowl, conditions under which instant rapidly loses what little aroma and taste it has. Not good enough. Freshly brewed coffee is not difficult or expensive - cafetières, a filter coffee machine on the buffet table, whatever. The same goes for tea - a vacuum flask does not provide water hot enough for a good cup of tea. I had to ask for decaffeinated coffee for my wife, and this was readily fetched from the kitchen....but as it's all instant anyway, why not just put it on the breakfast buffet?

The breakfast menu directs you to the self-service table for cereal, juice, tea and coffee and "fresh fruit". But why do you have to ask a waiter for "mandarin and grapefruit segments" likewise yogurt? We didn't bother - but so much more generous to put them on the breakfast buffet table, which is where you would find them anywhere else.

The menu states "fresh fruit". On Saturday morning there was a bowl with a few apples and pears, a couple of kiwi fruit and a solitary plum. A bit of a token gesture. I wasn't sure if they'd been washed so I didn't bother. I would have eaten an orange or a banana. On Sunday there was no fruit on display, though I'm sure they would have fetched it if I'd asked....

The breakfast cereals on offer were all of the sugary Kelloggs variety. No muesli. Lots of people eat muesli these days. Sachets of Alpen or similar would not be a stretch.

Each table had a pot containing sauces and individual butter and jam. You had to rummage, but on our first morning our pot contained one tub of jam and one of marmite but no marmalade. I asked the waiter who fetched...two tubs of marmalade from the kitchen. On the second morning still no marmalade so I foraged on a neighbouring table, and found one. Again - why not have a decent breakfast buffet, with a proper choice of preserves?

My poached eggs were fine. Toast was soggy.

Altogether breakfast was a dispiriting start to the day, and at £96 a night was little short of a disgrace. A few inexpensive changes, and a bit of attention to detail, would make it an altogether more generous and enjoyable occasion.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard E
raybezani, Owner at The Anglesey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time for writing such a detailed report and I apologise for nobody responding to your e mail (Ruth who you sent it to had been on compassionate leave and her junior failed to respond.)
You may be pleased to learn that a filter coffee machine is now on the breakfast bar as are an alternative selection of breakfast cereals. I did think that we had our new Espresso Coffee Machine fitted when you stayed but I may be mistaken.
I am pleased that you made mention of the fact that my staff responded to all of your requests and had you asked for other cereals then they would also have been made available and certainly had you mentioned it on the first morning they would certainly have been there for the second. I am disappointed that the selection of fresh fruit was below its normal standard and I have briefed staff accordingly to be more vigilant when putting it out.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Would definitely go back very friendly, homely atmosphere. Excellent accommodation and lovely staff. One of the best breakfasts we have ever had. Evening meal was to a very high standard Very clean and tidy. Nothing too much trouble. The location is close to the beach, harbour and shopping centres.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for writing such a positive review. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the local area and all that it has to offer. I am even more delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and the food that you were served. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had anticipated a hotel of reasonable quality and booked an executive double room. We had a small room with a very small shower room suitable for one person at a time. The bedroom ceiling had a major water stain and the main ceiling lampshade had a large hole in the lining. On two very hot nights we were unable to open the primary and secondary glazing enough to get any real air into the room. Car parking around the hotel was difficult.

We were very disppointed and will look for somewhere else next time as we will be going to Gosport frequently.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ronald D

Thank you for taking time to write your review. It is difficult in a Grade 2* listed building to create extra space to increase the size of bedrooms, likewise to have a large en suite without taking away from an already small bedroom. We will however attempt to do this during the winter months provided the planning department do not make me jump through hoops! Similarly I am not allowed double glazing and I am afraid that the secondary glazing had failed and will now be removed. Your report certainly focused my attention.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We got married 13th July 2013. We chose the hotel as good location for the venue. Family travelled from all over to stay and for some the lift was much appreciated as some hotels still have stairs only. Clean rooms, friendly staff, amazing food! We used the hotel as caterers for our wedding, even the most critical loved the food! Thankyou to Kev, Jenny and staff x

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Lorraine T

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing report. I am very pleased you mentioned the lift as it took me so long to plan and get installed and to most people they just expect it and probably rightly so. I am very pleased Kevin and Jenny did a good job catering at your wedding.

Kind Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gosport
The Old Lodge Hotel
#13 of 39 in Portsmouth
The Clarence Hotel
The Clarence Hotel
#1 of 39 in Portsmouth

Been to The Anglesey Hotel? Share your experiences!