“Boarding House Experience”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Gosport
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Boarding House Experience”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Advertising as a hotel but really is no more than a boarding house. I was in a executive room with cheap 1930 furniture. The accommodation was overpriced and not value for money. Breakfast was of boarding house times and finished at 8.45 am. The food was poor and overcooked I stated this on the 1st day of 3 but this made no difference. The serving staff didn't care and just wanted to get service over with. Would I go back NO!
I will say on a positive note the bar stayed open until late ? Until they had made enough money then it shut. I was part of a group of people that filled the boarding house for the weekend.

Room Tip: Free wi fi that didn't work in the rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Webs2493
raybezani, General Manager at The Anglesey Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
The tripadvisor web site allows visitors to put forward a view of their stay in a particular hotel to give potential visitors an insight of how others have found that hotel before booking. The review should be factual to give credibility. I found this review a little lacking in the factual department though some points I own up to. Certainly the furniture in that particular room is due to be replaced or at least two items of it. Yes I have had problems with the WIFI recently and am now changing suppliers to get faster broadband. I apologize if you did not enjoy your breakfast on one of the mornings.
The good point with the trip advisor site is that photos are available for all to see and I think most people who view my pictures and seeing a lovely Georgian building in a Regency Crescent would not instantly think it was a "Boarding House" furthermore, there are now many pictures of our rooms which reflects the type of establishment we are.
Like most hospitality establishments we have meal times and from our experience during the week most of our residents have had breakfast and left the hotel by 0830. We do state that breakfast finishes at 0845 however, if we have holiday makers and they request a later breakfast this is catered for, likewise if some wish to leave early before breakfast starts suitable arrangements are made that there is something for them to have before they set off. The part you forgot to mention was that at weekend breakfast doesn't start till 0815 and is still going at 1000.
Many inexperienced people think that if they are stopping in an hotel it entitles them to drink all night if they wish. In some big hotels in city centres this is the case. Not so in village locations. During your stay I closed the Bar at 0030 Thursday night when there was nobody left. I also closed the bar on Friday/Sat at 0100 and I was still in the bar at 0145 on my own. Saturday Night/Sun last orders was called and the bar closed at 0110. The bar staff then sat till 0200 before asking residents to retire. I consider that perfectly acceptable and a lot better service than I have received in many other hotels. I found your comment about taking enough money spiteful and unnecessary.
I had to wonder by the end of your review if it were more about an ex submariner trying to torpedo an ex skimmer than writing a hotel review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

A friend and i drove down to Gosport last week and stayed at the Anglesey Hotel. We arrived about 5pm and checked in. Receptionist was very helpful and pleasent. Gave us all the relevant information we needed about the locality.
The room ( a twin) was perfect. Light and airy with a lovely bathroom and very comfortable beds (1 double & 1 single) with a fantastic view over the Solent.
The Bar was quite busy with residents and a few guys that had been playing golf. The walls were covered in naval & rugby memorabila. Service and choice was great.
We ate in the bar and the food was unbelievably good with a great choice. Slow cooked lamb was a suberb choice and my friends steak was cooked perfectly. We had a really good night in the bar.
The only sad thing about the trip was we had to leave early in the morning before breakfast.
But i can assure them, i'll be back in the Summer. Can't wait!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review and the dining experience that you enjoyed. I hope you had an equally good time at Goodwood and I look forward to hearing about it at your next visit.
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We held our wedding here on 24 May 2014 because of the location, close to where we live, the size of the room used for the ceremony, the decor especially the chandeliers, the beautiful gardens opposite and having had several good eating experiences previously with lovely food and excellent service. Tricia, who is the hotel wedding lady, was very helpful, friendly and understood exactly how we wanted our day to be. The actual day surpassed all our expectations, the room looked gorgeous, the weather was on our side, the food was delicious and the staff first class.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
raybezani, General Manager at The Anglesey Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
I am so pleased that you had a wonderful wedding day at the Anglesey Hotel. I am grateful that you mentioned Trisha as she is a real asset to the hotel and manages to put most people at ease when they are arranging stressful (for some) events. Sorry I could not have been there myself. We all look forward to your next visit.
Constantia, South Africa
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have stayed at the Anglesey Hotel on 3 occasions now and can honestly say its a very warm and welcoming place to stay. The staff are very friendly, helpful and polite. The room (Single bed) was a bit on the small the side, but it had all the essentials that I required for the night I stayed. The room itself was clean and tidy. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for writing an honest review of the Anglesey Hotel and I am glad you mention the friendliness of our staff as I consider it one of our strengths. Next time you book please ask for a standard double for single occupancy as during the week they are the same price as a single room.
I look forward to your next visit.
Devon, England
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We had 3 excellent nights at this hotel. We were allocated a room on the third floor. Whilst walking up the stairs we wondered what we had done. The decor in the hallway is not the best - perhaps we should have gone up in the lift. Once at the room, everything changed! A lovely, well equipped room with a view out over the Solent. The room was very clean, very well decorated and appointed. We had breakfast in the dining room and evening meals in the bar. Both were excellent quality and value for money. We note that a previous comment said that the staff were unfriendly - that was certainly not our experience. If staying in the Gosport area you cannot go wrong at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
raybezani, General Manager at The Anglesey Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for writing such a glowing review for our hotel. You will be pleased to learn that the stairway is currently under redecoration and the new colour scheme is a welcome change from the old. I'm glad you enjoyed our selection of food in both the restaurant and bar and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Room spotlessly clean ,very comfortable and beautiful views. Very well staffed, and staff are quite obviously well trained and happy in their roles. Delicious breakfasts and varied menu for day/ evening., with much produce sourced locally. Lovely ambience.

Room Tip: Room 202 has the benefit of lovely views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very positive review they are always most welcome. I believe you were with the large party that we set breakfast up in the bar for. Many of the other guests commented how great it was to have 30 people all down for a function and all being able to sit together for breakfast. It was a first for us and very enjoyable.
Lydney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Hadn't stayed here for a few years and it was immediately noticeable that a considerable amount of work had taken place in that time. The hotel was clean and the welcome was friendly...in fact the hotel staff were all very professional. My room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The food was good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. I am very encouraged that you recognise the amount of work that is being put into the Anglesey both in in material and personnel contexts. I am generally very pleased with my staff and their performance and seldom get let down. I do hope you will return again soon and enjoy some of our wonderful weather that we experience here on the South Coast.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gosport
The Old Lodge Hotel
Number Four Boutique Hotel
Number Four Boutique Hotel
#2 of 38 in Portsmouth
Best Western Royal Beach Hotel

Been to The Anglesey Hotel? Share your experiences!