All reviews georgian hotel great sunday lunch recommend eating here specials board third floor staff were all friendly all you can eat wedding party check in was easy small hotel booked a table old building nice atmosphere varied menu on tap lovely hotel family gathering
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed here for two weeks during a business trip and I could not fault this place at all.
The location is excellent, with a short walk to the beach or promenade. Having worked my way through the menu I sampled mostly every option and all were very good, as were the breakfast choices.
The staff here are very friendly and will accommodate any requests. The room I had was on the first floor and was comfortable and warm, although there was some noise from the bar below it was not too bad.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
raybezani, Owner at The Anglesey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you very much for you kind review and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. The walks locally are very good and we are glad you had the opportunity to enjoy them. We hope you choose us again for your next visit to Gosport.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It looks so nice and clean from the outside, but inside it's in a fairly bad condition. People are friendly and helpful and breakfast was quite nice in the long time ago renovated dining room. (frayed chairs and badly repaired carpets) We had our bedroom on 1st floor (Nr.108) and this one was horrible I'm afraid to say. .We booked with booking.com and maybe then you get the worst, who knows. Very dusty and obviously not cleaned. Panels broken in the bath and the silicone seals dirty and mould fungus. The area is quiet and nice and within 5 minutes you are in the centre of Gosport.

Stayed: September 2018

I was clearly very disappointed to read your review and thought how horrendous must this room be to only warrant a 1 star. I will admit that the grouting at the shower end of the bath is water stained and discoloured but I could not find any fungus growing. The bath panel was loose but not broken. You may have noticed the building work going on outside the rear window of the room, I can only imagine that this may have been left slightly open which may have caused some surface areas to become dusty. The room does have an extra bed within it at present to cope with the high demand for family rooms over the summer. The extra bed does not enhance the room.

Gosport Borough recently hosted a "Heritage Days" where local historic buildings open their doors to the public. The Anglesey Hotel took part in this for two days where I gave presentations to four separate groups of people and then took them for a guided tour around the hotel. The feed back that I received was very positive indeed, the visitors could see the work that had been done and continues to be done. They appreciated this village hotel that was constructed in 1828 and how the modernisation program had not taken away from the charm; the experience is totally different from that which is received from "chain hotels/inns"

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

We had our wedding ceremony here yesterday (08/09/18) along with our reception and can honestly say we were treated like VIP's at all times and nothing was too much trouble. The staff were all attentive and the food was of the highest standard and the service impeccable.
The hotel offers nice clean rooms and a stunning honeymoon suite with panoramic views of Portsmouth and the Spinnaker Tower.
We had several members of our family stay at the hotel and all of them reported the same positive experience. Thank you Ray and your staff deserve the highest praise.
We would not hesitate to recommend The Anglesey Hotel and thank you for making our wedding day unforgettable.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Darren thank you for your kind review. I am delighted your wedding went off without a hitch and that the staff looked after you in good style. Your party were an absolute pleasure to have at the hotel and they all appeared to have enjoyed themselves. May I wish the pair of you a long and happy life together.

Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

I found my self working in the Portsmouth area over the Bank holiday weekend. Holes search lead me to book in for 2 nights. Hotel was very clean my room had everything it needed. On check in for my first night after a long 14 hour day I just wanted food and sleep. Checked in at 9.30 and asked if food was still on. Only to be told kitchen shut at 9.30. No offer of help to find anything. Lucky I always travel with the emergency pot noddles.

Breakfast didn’t start till 8am the next morning I went off to work at 7am no food again. I did mention this the night before but again on offer of an alternative.

Sunday morning I did start a little later so managed breakfast which was pleasant.

On the whole nice hotel just need a little customer service training. But yes I would return if I’m in the area again.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
raybezani, Owner at The Anglesey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Thank you for bringing my staff shortcomings to my attention and I am sorry you received such poor service, it is not our normal modus operandi. I am very frequently leaving breakfast food out for early departures at weekends and we are not normally rigid about a 9.30 finish. I hope we get the opportunity to put things right for your next visit.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Went for a meal on the Sunday after always saying we would. Felt as if we were not wanted by grumpy woman behind the bar. However waitress was nice and food kinda of. Plenty of it as it was the end of the evening service. Place is now dated and needs a clean up. Could be so much more, sad really.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review and I am sorry my Sunday night barmaid was not her normal jolly self. We had had a really busy afternoon and early evening and I can only imagine the team were expecting a quiet Sunday Evening. NO excuse! I will chastise her accordingly but not too severely.
You may have noticed the reasonable size extension being built to the rear of the hotel which is taking up most of my finances at present. Once completed I will pay more attention to the bar area. For a small independant I think the hotel overall is in quite good shape.