“flies everywhere”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitney-on-Wye
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“flies everywhere”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

my wife and myself stayed here 17/2/12,fortunately for one night only,our room was dirty there were at least 10 dead flies in our bathroom,hair around the bathplug (pubic) and not just 1 or 2 quiet a few,loads of dead flies in the strip light in the bathroom,which had not been cleaned in god knows how long.the restraunt was closed (which we were not told about before) so we had to drive for about half hour to find something to eat,never again

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank p d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Herefordshire
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We booked The Rhydspence for three nights because I was attending a stained-glass workshop nearby and we needed somewhere nice to stay. Peter, the landlord, was friendly and made us feel instantly at home. Our bedroom was large and very comfortable with a nice en suite, with high quality furnishings which suited the huge beams in the ceiling and walls. This is, after all, a 13th century inn! We were offered the fourposter bedroom but this time chose the one with the big brass bedstead with the sun streaming through the windows.

The views are lovely; the whole inn is furnished with interesting things and (unlike many inns and hotels) I noticed that the brasses and coppers were highly polished and gleaming. Here, I thought, was someone who cares.

Breakfast was beautifully served - we had a full English you could die for and hot toast made from local fresh bread plus cereals, orange juice, tea and coffee. The breakfast menu was quite extensive but we chose bacon eggs, etc. cooked to perfection.

Although this was a working trip, we had a wonderful rest in the warmth, comfort and homeliness of The Rhydspence Inn. Thank you Peter.

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw seemed very good to me.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monicals21
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Decided to stay at this hotel as a stopover on a trip to West Wales. Having read the reviews it seemed ideal, although after confirming my booking and asking what time last orders for food was, I was told they no longer did evening meals, just breakfast. We arrived about 5pm with the place locked up and no obvious signs of life. On making our way to what turned out to be the main entrance of the building, not particularly well signposted, we were met by Peter, the owner. We were given a warm welcome and Peter took my wifes case and led us to our room. It was exactly why we love to stay at such old inns for short breaks. It had the most wondrous view, quirky but large room, clean and tidy and well stocked. The sound of the stream babbling down by the side of the building on a beautiful warm sunny evening really set the tone for a relaxing stay. We drove the short distance into Hay On Wye for a delightful evening meal, then headed back to the inn for a nightcap. We had a most entertaining couple of hours with Peter and a couple of the locals who regaled us with some great stories. In no time we felt like locals ourselves.Peter explained his reasons for discontinuing evening meals, both the sheer scale of competition, some 12 food pubs in the local area, allied to the fact that he is indeed looking to close the pub as a going concern and sell up, pending approval by the local authorities.
After a wonderful nights sleep we were treated to a superb breakfast that set us up for the day . All in all we had a wonderful stay, and its such a shame this magnificent old building may soon be seeing its last paying customers. Thanks Peter, you were a wonderful host.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank steveevans9
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We booked this at the very last minute, just an hour before we left home. We arrived to a very picturesqe old building, with a note on the door saying the restaurant was closed, no mention of this on the website.
Snug bar with log fire, bdrooms comfy ans spacious with lots of storage, but very dated. The bathroom had carpet, no shower and the hot water was just a tiny trickle, it took almost 10 minutes to fill the sink, so a bath was out of the question. The breakfast was excellent. On googling the hotel owner, it seems he wants to turn the house into a private dwelling and is in dispute with the local council, perhaps this explains some of the problems.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bossyknickers
UK
Reviewed 21 January 2011

This was the fourth time we have stopped at the RhydSpence and it never fails to impress. We got engaged at the Rhydspence in 2006 and try to get back every year.

The rooms are always warm, clean and well looked after, the food is always wonderful and the beer is always well kept.

Peter the landlord/Owner is the very definition of charming and efficiently.

The Rhydspence is always my first choice when staying the Hay on Wye area..............

Mark and Amanda Davies

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RockJock75
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

The inn is steeped in history, and clean comfortable.Anyone looking for 21st century fixtures and fittings will be disappointed, but for me the room and ensuite were perfectly adequate for the property. The purpose for my stay was to visit historic sites and buildings in the Hrefordshire/Wales border region. Peter was extremely helpful in suggesting many locations that I had not been aware of prior to arriving.
With regard to food I found it excellent quality, and good value for money. The ambience in the bar was very comfortable, and all the visitors were very happy to enter into conversation about anything and everything. I will certainly return, and have already recommended the Inn to many of my friends

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
wally144
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I wanted to take my mother and sister out for a treat so decided to go to the Rhydspence. My sister had had bar meals over the last couple of years which she said were lovely, so I was happy to try their evening meals. I knew it wasn't the cheapest place to eat but I don't mind paying if the food is of a high standard.

We booked for 7.30pm but arrived at 6.50pm in order to look over the menu and have a drink. It was a bit of a trek from the car park to the front door which incidentally was locked. After several attempts and ringing the doorbell, we were eventually let in by a young boy. The landlord was a bit strange but as I have a sarcastic nature, I wasn't too worried. The lounge area was a little cold but I put that down to the fact that we had arrived early and the fire needed stoking up. We were asked if we wanted to order earlier which we were grateful for as we were ravenous. My sister and I ordered garlic mushrooms en croute and my mother had brocolli and stilton soup. We were taken through to the restaurant which was dark and chilly and left for some considerable time. A young girl eventually came with our starters. The £8.00 en croute mushrooms consisted of a few button mushrooms, dipped in garlic butter and served on soggy toast and the soup was so thick I was tempted to ask for a knife and fork rather than a spoon. We were given rolls but they were undercooked too. We queried the en croute mushrooms saying that we thought they would have been in some sort of pastry but were informed our soggy piece of toast was in fact a crouton!!! For the main course, my sister and I had rack of lamb and my mum had sea bass. The lamb though luke warm was well cooked and tender which was just as well as the rest of the meal wasn't. The plate on which the lamb was served was too small to get the undercooked luke warm vegetables on and the potatoes which the lamb sat on was floury and undercooked. The sea bass came in a bag which consisted of several layers. When the waitress brought it out, she didn't seem to know what to do with it so made a half hearted attempt to break through the layers and left us to do the rest. The bag overtook the whole plate and the fish wasn't filletted so as the plate wasn't big enough, we were left with no other choice but to put the veg on the bag with the fish, every time my blind mother took a bite, she got a mouthful of bones.

My sister spoke to the owner and was told she should have sent the food back and it was too late to do anything about it now. With this attitude I wasn't prepared to spend a further £8 per head on disappointing puddings so at that point I paid and we left. I would not recommend anyone going there and would strongly suggest you drive straight past.

Stayed April 2010
1 Thank wally144
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney-on-Wye
The Swan at Hay
#1 of 12 in Hereford
Glewstone Court
Glewstone Court
#1 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to Rhydspence Inn? Share your experiences!