“A must visit”
Review of The Boat Inn

The Boat Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney-on-Wye
The Boat Inn
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“A must visit”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

As a Hospitality Trainer/Assessor I always attempt to give a balanced view of any reviews I write. But this will be the exception to my rule. Having visited The Boat Inn with my wife I can find no reason to give any negative comments. I arrived first and was greeted in a friendly welcoming manner by the host. When my wife arrived we tried to decide what to have for dinner but this was a difficult choice as all the options sounded tempting. After much deliberation I chose the walnut & mushroom pate as a starter but my wife decided not to have a starter as she is a slave to the desert menus. The starter arrived on a rather large plate which contained a very well presented lovely fresh crisp salad. a slice of pate the size of a cheque book and width of a cigarette packet this was accompanied by side relish and about 8 triangles of lightly toasted bread. I tried each component on its own at first and though umm that tastes rather nice, then I combined them together on my slice of toasted bread and the flavour and texture must rate as one of the best pate`s I have ever tasted. For main course we ordered steak & mushroom pie with salad and chips and braised venison steak with red wine jus and seasonal veg. The mains arrived on oval dishes the size of a serving tray to accommodate the portions of food. The pie had a lovely light puff pastry case which contained a generous filling of steak that melted in your mouth and the venison steak was exactly the same. The vegetables were cooked to perfection and the chips were proper home made ones. Again the salad was fresh and the dressing complimented it perfectly. The only comment we could make was that both the jus and gravy could have been a little richer in flavour but this is only a matter of personal taste and by no way a criticism. We both cleared our plates and felt very satisfied with our choices. I felt as full as a stuffed pig and declined a desert but my wife still had a little room left to accommodate one. She eventually chose a Mars Bar Cheese cake with pouring cream ( I know the thought sounds very strange ) however when the said desert arrived my wife insisted I try a little taste of it so I reluctantly obliged her request. Oh what a mistake to make. The taste sensation that hit my mouth was amazing the combination of flavours was a match made in heaven so I made a complete hog of myself and ordered one as well before I chomped my way through the rest of my Wife's portion. I once had the privilege of working in a hotel with a very fine pastry/desert chef who now works for a celebrity chef in London and would rate this desert on par with anything he produced. I also found out that the same chef in the Boat Inn cooks the meals from fresh. Now I know some people will think oh yeah but how much did this meal set you back well it came to a little over £40 which included a latte coffee and I thought this was superb value for the standard of food produced. I would recommend to anyone just in the area to try the Boat Inn but would also suggest that it would be worth going the extra miles to sample the food and service here. GREAT FOOD GREAT SERVIVE AND GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hughy66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stumbled across this one when looking for a hotel in area - so caught them a bit on the hop. Lovely location and all the staff were very friendly throughout stay. Saturday night so very busy in bar and restaurants - but still made to feel welcome. Extensive menu - so plenty of choice, looking at other peoples meals kept changing mind as everything looked great. All courses well cooked and presented. Prices very reasonable. Bed room - ok, but need a bit of DIY - wall lights had no bulbs and a bit loose and taps a also loose!! But they were clean and comfortable. Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marshdaisy
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stumbled across the Boat Inn whilst out for a Sunday drive. The food was very tasty and generous (Sunday dinner). We chose to sit outside on a sunny day and the river views and tranquil setting made a perfect afternoon.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TanyaWelland
Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Excellent service and food was great, will be visiting the boat again soon, chocolate brownies are the best, great value for money, lovely river views. 10 out of 10 to the boat inn, would highly recommend visiting

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank RachieP2811
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We were staying in the area and passed by this pub thinking it didn t look up to much and could not possibly be near the river. How wrong we were when we returned after calling elsewhere which only had a Sunday roast on offer. We only wanted to snack which we were assured was fine by the chap behind the bar. My husband had soup which was very tasty and I had a goats cheese tart starter which was huge, glad we hadn t had a full meal. The atmosphere was warm and bustling. Clearly a popular venue. We were made to feel very welcome. We returned the following evening for a meal. The fillet steak was big in size and my husband found it to be very good and cooked to his liking( rare )and tasty with lots of veg etc I had duck which again was plentiful with more than ample veg and potatoes. In fact too much for the two of us.
The staff were friendly and efficient. We would return if in the area again.The view of the river from the dining area is very picturesque with views over the valley, we were told that otters had been on the banks the night before.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank susy500
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

There is a large choice of meals and desserts at this pub by the river. Our party tried 4 different main courses which were all excellent and 3 different desserts, again all excellent. The prices are very reasonable too. Will definitely visit again when in the area

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elizabeth W
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Recently went for an evening meal with friends. There is a large choice to select from and none of us were disappointed with what we had. All three courses were served promptly and the quality of the food was superb. The food is very reasonably priced as were the drinks.
The restaurant is quite small and gives lovely views directly over the river. The staff were polite and attentive. There is a very friendly atmosphere in the Inn and we all felt totally relaxed.
I will definitely visit again and would highly recommend The Boat Inn to anyone requiring excellent home cooked food.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NikkiHfd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney-on-Wye
Rhydspence Inn
#1 of 1 in Winforton
New Inn at Brilley
New Inn at Brilley
#1 of 3 in Whitney-on-Wye

Been to The Boat Inn? Share your experiences!