Chare Close Bed & Breakfast
Hall Meadows(Haltwhistle)
Priceline
Hillis Close Farm(Haltwhistle)
The Black Bull(Haltwhistle)
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 July 2012

A wonderful stay here last August while rained off Hadrian's Wall walk. The bed was huge, ridiculously comfortable with pristeen white sheets. The breakfasts were hearty with everything cooked to perfection and personalised with a wide variety of choice. The hosts were kind and looked after us with attention to detail. Easy to catch the bus for surrounding areas - a great location to explore. A choice of local pubs with great atmoshere and grub. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Besides the usual requirements for a b&b of comfort, convenience, good food, etc., Nick, the innkeeper, offered us careful and specific attention. When we had exhausted the rainy day attractions, the two superb Roman museums and the Wall, Nick proposed a day trip by train to Newcastle, which proved the highlight of the trip (and should be added to guidebooks).Of the three places to eat in town, he recommended the Black Bull, the best pub food and atmosphere by a country mile. Further, on the morning we left to drive south, he packed extras to our delicious continental breakfast---INDIVIDUAL CHEESES, ROLLS,EGGS,FRUIT---that gave us a needed lunch on the road. .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I chose this B&B for our one night near Hadrian's Wall because previous reviewers said the proprietors, Nick and Nette, had gone beyond expectations in taking care of them. We found the same thing. Lots of places can give you a comfortable bed, perfectly adequate bathroom, and tasty breakfast in a charming cottage, like Chare Close. But we arrived hours late (train delay) and drenching wet, completely ruining our plan of going to Housesteads on Hadrian's Wall that afternoon... and we had a morning train to catch so we were afraid our whole detour to Hadrian's Wall was a wash-out. Nick put our wet pants and trainers in the dryer, then sent us off to the Black Bull for the best pub meal we had in England. In the morning he and Nette lent us Wellies and then he drove us to a great spot on the Wall and picked us up an hour later and took us to the station. Instead of a wash-out, we had a short but wonderful experience of Hadrian's Wall. I'm sure there are times when he wouldn't be free to do that kind of thing -- the point is that when someone really needs him to go beyond, he DOES. These are lovely people who deserve your business.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2012

When my dad arrived at Chare Close, I was about an hour late coming down off the trail, having walked from Grindon. I have never seen two people look so relieved--my dad, and Nick, the innkeeper. Nick welcomed me in, made sure my wet shoes and soaked backpack were dried out, and showed me to our room. We were in the triple, but were only charged for a double.

Further, there is tea and biscuits to welcome you to the room. The breakfasts were superb; don't miss the salmon and eggs.

The best part was, that Annette and Nick really care for you as a guest. Annette made us strawberry scones with clotted cream and tea. Nick insisted that we try The Ocean for fish and chips--it was some of the best I had ever had. They ran us to the Black Bull and to the Coop when it was pouring rain, and Annette showed me around the historic back gardens of Haltwhistle.

We stayed two excellent nights there, and I would stay there again. Obviously, people do, because they had two return guests during our visit.

Room Tip: If you walk down Haltwhistle Burn instead of down the road from the Path, you will be in for a treat! River otters, lush flora, and birds, birds, birds.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2012

My wife & I stayed here overnight whilst cycling the coast to coast Hadrians Wall route. This B&B is directly on the route so no deviation reqd. Positioned 5 mins walk to town centre.
Room was clean & spacious, comfy bed, tea & coffee making. We had a room at the rear which was quiet, slept well & undisturbed.
Bathroom had good shower with complimentary toiletries.
The host, Nick, was most helpful providing us space in his garage to secure our bikes & gave me his large pump to use following puncture repair I had made on the way. Nick attended to us alone during our visit without detriment, his wife was away during our stay.
Unusually for a B&B guests had the use of a downstairs lounge. A tray of glasses provided if we wanted to bring in a bottle of wine.
Breakfast was the usual B&B fare, good quality & fresh fruit available which my wife thoroughly enjoyed.
Overall a very pleasant place to stay. No criticisms at all.

Aside from the B&B, Haltwhistle has a few decent pubs & places to eat. Importantly for us & our trip a launderette is in the middle of town ran by the Hotel 2 doors away from it who were most helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple