We stayed three nights, on a walking trip to Hadrian's Wall, and our group (from Cheshire) had the entire hotel booked. The Manager, Christine (who also cooks) was exceptionally friendly and hospitable. Our half-board rate was good value.
The restaurant food was very good, with a wide choice of meat dishes plus one vegetarian option for dinner, and plentiful; and service (considering the size of our party) excellent. Breakfast was a feast, with pretty well everything you could ask for. There were no draught beers, but a selection of bottled ones and a reasonable wine list (the Black Bull pub below the market place has some great ales on tap if you are really thirsty). Haltwhistle also has a couple of supermarkets, a pharmacy and a visitor centre, and the hotel is within walking distance of the railway station.
Our room (2) was very spacious, though the bathroom was a little tired. Others in our party felt that their rooms (particularly those in the annex behind the hotel) were rather small, but everything was clean, and the towels fluffy and changed every day.
The parking area is rather cramped to drive in and out of, if you have a large car.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is Haltwhistle’s most historic building. The oldest part of the hotel was a Border Reivers' Pele Tower, dating from the 15th Century. Later it became a Manor House, Excise Office, Coaching Inn, Post Office, Temperance Hotel, Pub and Cafe. In 1997 we completely refurbished the building, finding many archaeological and architectural features - many of which have been included in the presentation of the reborn Hotel.The result – a combination of modern comfort & Tradition. We have a total of 12 bedrooms, all individually designed many with original architectural features. All have private bathrooms and are equipped with TV, radio, direct dial telephones, hospitality trays and hair dryers.We have a secure car park at the rear of the hotel with direct access to the rearSo, there is something for everyone, but most of all a warm welcome with a relaxed style and atmosphere to make you feel at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Centre of Britain Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centre Of Britain Haltwhistle
- Centre Of Britain Hotel Haltwhistle, Northumberland