“Decided to give t another chance......hmm”
Review of Talbot Hotel

Talbot Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Stourbridge B&B and Inns
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Decided to give t another chance......hmm”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Welll, due to having to be in the Stourbridge area i thought i would give this another go, as i had seen that they had apparently "updated" some of the rooms.

Was in a different rooms this time and yes, it was nicer. Previously i was on the top floor and the floors were VERY uneven. This time i was on the first floor..albeit right next to the staircase but much nicer. (just a bit smaller) The bathroom had been updated recently and was very pleasant. an oil heater in the room made me remember just how cold i was last time in the room so this was turned on immediatly and left on for the duration of my stay!

Now...all was fine, was preparing to go out for the evening when i heard a key in my door.......then (luckily i had put the chainonthe door) someone was coming in my room!!! a young couple who had been given the "other" key for my room. they apologised and i didnt have an issue with them but immediately went to reception to find out why this happened. I was worried about going out of my room to have someone able to come in with my belongings in there.

At the reception i explained what had happened, was told housekeeping had put the spare key inthe wrong pigeon hole so they didnt know the room was occupied.....then was a silence at reception while i explained i wasnt happy.....sorry, thats al she kept saying....sorry....i asked what was going to be done about it, they said they would move me. At this point i was just out the bath and in no way was i packingup all my belongings and runnignthrough to another room....obv they have other keys for other rooms so this wouldnt make a difference.

so then i got offered compensation - a drink from the bar....!!! well... if all my worldly possesions i had on me get stolen the drink will make it all worthwhile.

Now, had this not happened i would of been totally fine with this hotel this time. i just find the lack of being able to communicate with the cultural array of staff and their limited english speaking a bit challenging.

now - saying that.......if you have looked at the history of this hotel you will know that it is infact haunted. quite documented it is to regarding this.

So, on my return that evening, safely tucked up in my bed, with the chain onthe door....i decided to get my camera...in the pitch black and take a couple of flash shots to see if any orbs where present. What happened next nearly made me leave immediately.

As i pressed the flash on my camera and the initial flash came on, in my screen i saw a large number of orbs and lights...suddenly go in all directions! freaked me out somewhat. I then continued and took a couple more. I got a very good shot of a very obvious orb in the bathroom doorway which was not in any other of the doorway shots....plenty of lights etc and streams.

noises....an opening slightly wardrobe door then made it very very hard to sleep that night and had i not had the free drink from the bar i would of most definately not have sleep there that night. So duvet over the head..music on and sleep...well, i tried to anyway!!

So, if you are visiting this hotel with the chance of some ghost activity...its very very likely i would say!!

Room Tip: ask for the first floor.....the top floor has more uneven floor boards and can be very uncomfortable...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank lisaequi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Worcester
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We went in for lunch both ordered the club sandwich, this comes with Salad my salad had dirt in it when pointed this out to a waiter, response was a shrug!! Took a photo emailed the Talbot no response, will never go back again.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank lilypink72

Travellers are raving about these Stourbridge hotels

Nottingham
Reviewed 4 November 2013

me and my girlfriend stayed heer for a night in october. we parked our car in the car park behind the hotel and on checking into the hotel found it very quaint and a real old style hotel from the coaching days. our room was a real surprise, very large with old beams and uneaven floors. the breakfast was nice and staff polite. would definitly return again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Hired the Talbot for our 50th Wedding Anniversary dinner with 25 guests. Opted for fixed price 2 course dinner menu. Discussed the room layout with the manager who was extremely helpful. The room cost £50 for the evening, and you could bring your own drinks and pay £6 corkage per bottle opened. We chose to bring our own wine. On the evening the room was laid out just as we had wanted it complete with dinner placings and wine glasses. We had supplied the dinner choices of our guests the week before. The meals were served promptly. They were hot and with an abundance of vegetables served in silver salvers, included cauliflower cheese. The staff were excellent and very attentive. All our guests have since commented on the really nice meals and surroundings. Would recommend this venue for dinner events. No one stayed at the hotel overnight so this comment is purely about the restaurant side of the business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
birmingham
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Comfortable hotel bar area has 6 collection tins on for all different charities and the old silk flowers look dated also the curtains to long and just drapped over the shelf.toilets very basic like a public toilet a dirty towel to dry your hands on left between to sinks.a row of tiles left outside door and smells damp.food pricey.shame as visited here years ago and is in need of some tlc.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank frankiebirmingham
devon
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I booked in to this hotel for one night having not seen previous reviews location was good for my needs yes it needs updating the bed mattress was a bit lumpy and the shower taps were hard to regulate temperature however bedding and room was spotlessly clean staff were friendly & welcoming and the breakfast was superb- good choice and freshly cooked . I would stay here again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

the funny thing was I booked this hotel by mistake ... I meant to book the talbot in knightwick and ended up booking this however We thought it wasn't too far away from bewdley where we stayed the other nights so thought we would give it a try as we had already payed for it anyway ... when we got there I was shocked to see the state of the place and asked the recp if we could cancel that was before we even seen the rooms the place was filthy and full of old tatt and the lady on the recp looked very dirty aswell and as if she couldn't be bothered to even speak to us ...... the worst part was when we got to the room the bed was broken the bathroom was dirty the cups for our tea and coffee hadn't been washed all the furniture was marked and had well seen its day . the carpet was all marked and looked dirty the whole place was such a letdown ...... we just wanted somewhere clean to lay our heads nothing fancy ... But this place took the p*ss .... I was actually crying as this was a break away for me and my bf and it just totally ruined it ...... the photos of this place do it alot of justice looks nothing like it when u get their ........ we also just left breakfast the rest of the place put us off ... would dread to think what their kitchen looked like ........... I actually have nothing good to say abt this place at all ....... or the area to be honest is pretty rough ..... take my advice don;t book this hotel you will only be disappointed :(

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank leigh m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourbridge
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
Travelodge Kidderminster
Travelodge Kidderminster
#1 of 5 in Kidderminster
The Quality Hotel Dudley

Been to Talbot Hotel? Share your experiences!