“A Pleasant Surprise”

Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Bangladeshi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established since 1997 and won many awards including the BEST OF STOURBRIDGE. We specialise in Traditional Balti dishes and take pride in serving only the leanest of meats served with fresh produce. All main dishes are prepared in our restaurant exactly as in our homes. Each dish will have its own distinctive flavour and aroma which cannot come from any curry powder but from spices and herbs specially prepared by ourselves. We are here to satisfy you with our food and service and would be glad to fulfil your curiosity about our food and culture. We welcome healthy criticism if there is any to improve our standards. Free Car Parking OPEN 7 DAYS Sunday to Thursday 17:00 till 12:30 Friday & Saturday 17:00 till 01:00
Reviewed 28 June 2015

Having read some pretty bad reviews on here for Balti Bazaar we decided to ignore and see for ourselves, I am very glad we did!

Set just off the main Lye strip with its own car park Balti Bazaar seems maybe a little more than just your average balti house (I love Balti houses by the way!!)

It was notable that they look after their regulars with some guests being seated before us with a wink and a nod from the waiter, we were told it would be a few minutes, which in fairness it was.

Despite some tables of 2 being available they seated us on a nice table of 4 in the middle of the restaurant, which is broken up nicely.

Menus, wine glasses delivered instantly and a short break to peruse the menu.

We had eaten quite a large lunch so went for poppadoms and main, I did notice a good selection of starters for our next visit including fish pakora, which I am particularly fond of.

We both ordered a Chicken Tikka Balti, my wife asked for slightly hot, I asked for Madras hot, extra garlic and chillies.

The Baltis were superb, my wife was very impressed (she is a tough customer!!) lots of very tasty savory sauce, chicken cooked to perfection. My balti came with the extra garlic sliced and garnished on top, which I thought was a nice touch.

Slight moan that they missed my chillies but the spice level was spot on so it didn't make too much of a difference. I would also have liked a little bit more Chicken but I was still full at the end of the meal so not a major problem.

We ordered a side of Saag Bhaji (not on the menu?) which was epic, something that seems common in Lye we have had some very decent saag over this way.

Overall on my quest to find the best restaurant in Lye, Balti Bazaar is in the mix and much better than some of the highly ranked restaurants in Lye based on this visit.

I need to return and see what else they can offer.

Baltibazaar, Manager at Balti Bazaar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2015

Hi Reviewer,

Firstly i would like to thank you for leaving feedback, and would like to also thank you for giving our restaurant a chance even though you have recently read bad reviews, we try our best to keep our customers happy and most of our customers are loyal regulars. We are happy you have classed us as high ranked in Lye and look forward to your continued Custom.

Miah
Manager

Reviewed 14 June 2015

Visited the restaurant as a group during a saturday evening and was very disappointed to say the least. Table booked for 7.00pm and we started to receive our main courses at 9.20pm, i received my side dish 10 mins before my main course arrived to find that it wasn't the same as what i had ordered. The balti dishes were only one third full, not good food at all. In addition to waiting and waiting we then had another large all male party join us upstairs that were very loud and were using foul language which was most upsetting due to the fact that we had small children on our table. Toilets were not clean and no toilet paper in the one toilet at all, the male toilet door was open therefore you could see into the toilets (NOT GOOD). When we were ready to leave the restaurant via walking down steps to use the handrail, it was sooo sticky and dirty (YUK) Will definately not be using this restaurant again. There are by far Indian restaurants within the same area that are much much better.

3  Thank hilary p

Hi Hilary,

We all are really upset reading this review as the delay was not down to us. Your party all turned up late, then my waiter went over and nobody was ready to place their order. So food would have been delayed to cook 20 persons meal straight away is impossible, i can only apologize about the other customers that were in the restaurant, as they are customers too we did not hear any foul language from them, they may have been a bit loud but they were also a party of 20 and noise levels would increase. As you have visited restaurant before and enjoyed food here, I hope you try us again and as k for management so i can offer you some sort of discount for your bad experience.

Miah
Manager

Reviewed 14 June 2015 via mobile

Reserved a table for 7:30 on a Saturday night and the place was heaving, extremely popular is an understatement.

We took our own drinks as its unlicensed and perused the menu, after a while I went to the main bar area to fetch a pint glass as we were left to our own devices for a while.

Selected our food, reasonable prices and good quality food, certainly above average.

I had mixed kebab starter with North Indian Chilli Chicken to follow whilst Claire had chicken tikka shaslick prawn balti with spinach.

Enjoyed the food, was a long delay between courses but we managed to chat that away.

Had to ask for water twice, the bill twice and every time we engaged in discourse with the waiting staff they just gave the impression that they were just so busy juggling proverbial plates.

Table of four next to us waited for ages before someone asked if they were ready to order, they pointed said they'd not got menus yet....

Overall was a decent experience, competitive prices and decent food let down by its own popularity and lack of staff.

Would visit again.

1  Thank Claire and John J
Reviewed 3 June 2015 via mobile

Lovely meal in great surroundings waiting staff very attentive. Food was nice standard balti food plus you can take your own drink

1  Thank gertie46
Reviewed 1 June 2015

Superb food at very reasonable prices, served by caring and friendly staff. As visitors to the area, it tempts us to return for this restaurant alone.

1  Thank Al R