“Bad food and service”
Review of The French Hen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stourbridge
The French Hen
Ranked #5 of 6 Stourbridge B&B and Inns
West Midlands
“Bad food and service”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

As we had not eaten at the French Hen Inn restaurant for 3 years we decided to go again recently. I hoped that after 3 years the menu might have changed but to my horror it was exactly the same. As I had eaten most of the meals on the menu I was massively disappointed as there wasn't anything on there that I would have chosen to eat more than once. The charge for the meal was high yet the quality was extremely low and I spent most of the following day on the toilet with diarrhea! As if that wasn't bad enough the service was appalling too. We went on a Sunday evening and the restaurant was half empty yet despite that and the fact there were two waitresses (one very surly) working we had to wait half an hour for our order to be taken. The meals then arrived within a timely manner but once we had finished we got so sick of waiting for our plates to be cleared and the dessert menu to arrive that we got up and asked for the bill then left. Overall a spoilt evening and we have vowed never to return and would not recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank nojiggerchick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cradley Heath
Reviewed 28 November 2011

First impressions of the pub was nice the look and feel about the place was fantastic but that was soon to change.
Party of 13 of us went and a number of things went wrong:
* 2 Steak meals Under cooked had to be returned to get recooked to Medium not RARE.
* 2 Meals for other people did not turn up till we had all finished our meals ( But was given for free and they did say sorry)
* One meal had a long hair in the potatoe.
* Apple and Rubarb Crumble was Black ( over cooked ) and tasted Off.

Overall i would never return to this place it looks lovely but the food aint , the lady who served us could not apologise enough so im guessing she has experinced problems before .

My own meal wasnt so bad but for the money you pay and the hastle we had DONT BOTHER !!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank RAMSY25

Travellers are raving about these Stourbridge hotels

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I took my mother here approx three weeks ago for a spot of friday afternoon lunch. I have eaten here before and enjoyed there lunch menu. When attempting to order door we were told that they only had one chief and weren't serving foot. The pub wasnt over busy. Very disappointing. We only wanted a steak chibbata.

• Stayed November 2011
4 Thank Chamone83
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2011

If you are in the area and want to relax ,have a good meal,a drink and sleep well, then this is the place. From start to finish we ate well, we drank good cask and wellknown beers and lagers and because it is just off the beaten track, slept in near silence. For £50:00 per night for bed and continental breakfast it was good value.My wife and I would go there again although truth be known I do like a good old full english in the morning, but one must watch the midriff or so my wife says. worth trying 8 out of 10

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce W
Stourbridge
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We visited in midweek when it was fairly busy. The food was very nice to a good standard with very adequate portions, so adequate that neither of us could manage a pudding.....Steve and Lynne, Stourbridge

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen P
West Country, England
Reviewed 22 August 2011

After many recommendations, we decided to try the Bistro for dinner at The French Hen. The place was quiet (Monday evening) which gave us the opportunity to admire the unusual decor with its French style uniqueness. I particularly liked the statues with the religious inference- very unusual and very rural French.
Service was excellent, the young girl at the bar was welcoming and friendly and escorted us to our table in the dining room. Rustic wooden tables and chairs, with more French artefacts made for a simple but attractive dining area.
The food was simply superb, all three of us had something different for our main choice- and each meal was cooked beautifully with garden fresh vegetables, fresh crisp salads all of which were presented and cooked to perfection.
We were undeniably impressed and shall be returning as the first opportunity.

Room Tip: Book a table for dinner- restaurant gets very busy especially at weekends
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen_Kingswinford
Midlands
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We often visit this area for lunch because my Nan lives close, so we are always looking for new places to eat. This was recommended by someone, so on a lovely sunny day we thought we would try it out.
The outside area is great and there was plenty of room for my children to play, however the food was a bit disappointing. The soup I ordered as Tomato came and it was Tomato and Peppers, which I suppose is OK if you like peppers (which I don't). It is one of my pet peeves when restaurants omit to tell you the proper ingredients of their food. I swapped my soup with someone else for the other choice and wished I hadn't. It was awful. It looked and tasted like dirty dish water.
I had a salad for my main course, which was OK but nothing special.

The staff were friendly and the menu highlights Gluten Free options which I think all restaurants should do. I had a brief look inside and it did seem to need a good clean. The menus were sticky too which isn't usually a good sign of cleanliness.

Over all it was OK but I am not sure I would visit again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourbridge
Hogarths Stone Manor
Dunsley Hall Hotel
Dunsley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kinver
Premier Inn Stourbridge Town Centre Hotel

Been to The French Hen? Share your experiences!