“Lovely food, good value”
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Mere B&B and Inns
Somerset, England
“Lovely food, good value”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We had lunch there today and had very good food, freshly produced and the time it took to arrive and spacing between courses was just right. The prices were very reasonable, especially the Specials. All the four different sauces/gravies tried were very tasty and not 'commercial' tasting. The only thing to let it down was the ice cream - very ordinary and disappointing - especially since the other puddings were home made and lovely; there are so many special ice creams available.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CadburyCountry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Arrived reasonably early and was shown to my room after signing the register. Register is a little old fashion as left on reception in full view of everybody with resident's addresses... I did not write my real address as I think it is no longer safe to do this.
My room was just warm although the heating was full on. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. There was no space to work in the room, which is a bit of a problem for me as I normally work in the evening. The broadband worked in the room but only if you stand by the door. The router could do with a bit more power.

Breakfast was excellent and the staff very friendly.

I had dinner there one evening, the food was good but I thought a little pricy.

Would I go back? Yes I would and may well do so as I work in the area most weeks at the moment

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
warlingham
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed at The George on 10th December to celebrate an early family Christmas. We were not disappointed. The Christmas meal was lovely, obviously home cooked not pre-frozen, and was excellent value for money. The rooms were clean and well equipped and the bed was so comfortable I wanted to take it home with me. There was a good choice at breakfast and the cooked breakfast was very good. We received a warm and friendly welcome at The George and wish the new owners every success. Hopefuly this lovely old inn has finally found the owners it deserves.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lizziew100
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The inn was very quiet being a Sunday evening in early November but they did a nice meal for us. My wife had the pork tenderloin and I had the beef stroganoff and they were both very tasty!

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I travel loads on work and like to get away from faceless hotel chains when I can. The George Inn has a few rooms upstairs above the pub and occasionally places of this sort can be real gems.

However, it's 11.30pm and they're still pulling pints in the pub downstairs. The walls are paper thin and I can hear people next door and loud voices from just 3 or 4 people downstairs coming through the floor. A shame, as otherwise it's well located and the rooms are straightforward and no-fuss (I hate hotels with endless brochures everywhere cluttering the rooms), as was the pub food - no-nonsense, wholesome and quick.

On the plus side however: free wireless internet, off street parking, decent breakfast, decent size of room. All for just £35, which is hard to beat. Bear in mind though, this is a pub with rooms upstairs - may be more suited to a group of friends than the business traveller.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
budleigh
Reviewed 29 October 2011

, happy staff , warm welcome .,log fires ablaze, lovely new owners ,back on the list of local family friendly venues, nice to see a return to community feeling in place .
keep the great start ,
ps the food is great and great value

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We decided to stop in Mere for lunch on Sunday 18th. Chose the George because it looked really nice. Arrived just before 2pm. Landlord ignored us for about 5 minutes while he tinkered with his till then served us drinks. We asked about food and he begrudgingly said we had to hurry to order. We then chose Sunday Roast at which point he quite rudely said that there was no more Sunday Roast. I was quite taken aback, and we decided not to dine. It is s pity because it looks a really nice property. Maybe the landlord should have someone else dealing with customers....

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
TheGeorgeInnMere, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
Hi Andy,

I'm sorry that the previous Landlord of The George Inn was so "Unfriendly". My wife Jan and I, took over the The George Inn Mere, on 21st September, and our customers and guests, seem to like us and find us friendly and helpful.
Next time your in the area, drop in; introduce yourself to us and have a drink. We'll make sure that we do all we can, to make your day!

Warm regards,

Pat Kearney (new Landland)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mere
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bourton
Hunters Lodge Inn
Hunters Lodge Inn
#1 of 7 in Wincanton

Been to The George Inn? Share your experiences!