“Warm welcoming with warm and hospitable host!”
Review of Castleton House

Castleton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Mere B&B and Inns
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Warm welcoming with warm and hospitable host!”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed at Castleton House for 3 nights recently to serve as our base to visit Stourhead, Longleat, Sherbourne and Salisbury... Best choice we could have made. :)
Gail made us welcome the moment we arrived and showed us to our room, ensuring we had everything we could have wanted... Had the separate use of her large and beautiful sitting room, along with our room... Which was larger than we had expected and very impressed.
As a sufferer of a bad back I always approach a new bed with trepidation... Needless to say I was over the moon with a wonderfully comfortable bed, feather pillows and ample warmth in my duvet.
Breakfast,,, Well YUM!! - Again Gail was VERY accommodating to my food allergies and was only too happy to meet any requests I may have had..
Gails food recommendations for dinner on the second night were spot on, with some of the best food we have tasted for a long time - it was so exceptional that we returned again the following night!
Our trip will be fondly remembered not only by the wonderful sights at Stourhead, but also by our wonderful stay with Gail..
Thank you Gail ..!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MandyJane71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

A friend and I stayed at Castleton House, which was recommended to us by Neals Yard Eco-factory, at which we attended a short course nearby. Our ensuite twin room was spacious and very clean. Beds were comfy and the duvets luxuriously plump and snuggy! Our landlady Gail was very helpful in suggesting places to eat and visit - and her breakfasts were outstandingly good, complete with homemade raspberry jam and muffins. I highly recommend Castleton House to future visitors, who are assured of an excellent stay.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms - I think both face the road, but secondary glazing eliminates noise sufficie...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BBCooper
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We stayed at Castleton House as we had a wedding in the area and were made to feel very welcome. The room was well decorated and the bed was very comfortable! Breakfast was great too and the whole experience was very enjoyable and relaxing, we'd definitely stay there again if we were in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LucyLondon11
Gavle, Sweden
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This was a nice, clean and very spacius (big) room that didn`t cost too much to rent. Toilet and chower on suit, lovely!
I would gladly recomend it to others ho visit this charming town. A 15 minits walk to towncenter and some nice pubs.
Sorry fore the bad spelling but I felt that I should wright this review thou it was that good!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ylva17
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We arrived feeling very welcomed at castleton house by Gail. The rooms were very spacious and the bed was very comfortable, breakfast was delicious and everything was just perfect. We went to longleat over the weekend with it being just 15 minutes away. The location is right in the centre of mere with some really good eating pubs only seconds from Castleton. We hope to return in the near future and would strongly recommend this B&B to everyone!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Drew E
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I stayed here for work so I booked Castleton to be near Stourhead. The location was excellent, right in the centre of Mere so easy to get to.

When I checked in, Gail was there and made me feel at home instantly - it was a shame I couldn't stay there longer as the breakfast the next day was great too!

The rooms were a good size and had everything needed and I had my own key so was able to come and go as I wish.

I'd certainly recommend staying here if you're in the area!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Naomik22
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Gail provided us with a great welcome. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed. Breakfast was faultless with a delicious veggie option. If only all B & B's were as well run as this one -proper hospitality.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CJG67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mere
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
#15 of 24 in Warminster
The White Lion
The White Lion
#1 of 2 in Bourton

Been to Castleton House? Share your experiences!