Stonefield Castle Hotel
Kilfinan Hotel(Kilfinan)
  • Restaurant
The Kames Hotel(Tighnabruaich)
Great 4.5/5
The Royal an Lochan(Tighnabruaich)
Allt-Na-Craig(Ardrishaig)
Grey Gull Inn(Ardrishaig)
Very Good 4/5
1,102 results
All reviewsdrawing roomloch fynedining roomstunning locationpublic roomsloch viewfudgethe general managersnooker tablefour poster bedlovely groundscommon areaseggs benedictamazing viewsold buildingfine diningopen fire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our stay was for one night. The hotel is a great example of a 19th century country house 'castle'. There are good short walks in the gardens and down to the sea shore, with an amazing thicket of blue hydrangeas on the way. The hotel is convenient for the Kennacraig ferry terminal for Islay, a short drive away.

Our room (19) had all the required facilities but could do with refurbishment, as could other parts of the hotel. I was impressed by room phone calls being free, I had no mobile phone signal (O2 network). The free WiFi did not extend as far as our room.

The dining room has a great setting overlooking a sea loch. My dinner was of average quality, consistent with the one AA rosette standard. The bar is comfortable, but lacks any hand-pumped beers, crisps or nuts and the only bottled beers are lagers.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank John R
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband, 4 month old baby and I took our first holiday to Scotland and since our baby's birth. Upon arriving to Stonefield they had already prepared a crib (pack n play) in our well appointed room that had a lovely view of the loch. The aesthetics of the hotel were very attractive and consistent with the castle's history as a former private residence. We chose to eat at the hotel restaurant rather the nearby town of Tarbert since our little one had an early bedtime. The servers were very accommodating of the baby as well as the food was quite delicious; the view of the loch from our table was impressive. The breakfast that was included in our room mate was scrumptious, my husband enjoyed the Scottish breakfast while I had the Eggs Benedict with Salmon.

Throughout our stay all of the hotel personnel were very pleasant and we would visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a loch view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank megancorazza
Anne M, General Manager at Stonefield Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your review of our Castle. It was a delight to have your family stay with us especially the baby and we are so glad you enjoyed your visit to Stonefield. Haste ye back!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We did a castle tour for 7 days and had to stay 2 nights in this "Hotel".

I found the personal friendly and the service OK.
The view from the Restaurant is really awesome and the food was good.

The only thing where I feel "ripped off" is the room quality.
I'm quite shure they have nice rooms in the main building, but
our rooms were located in a side tract where the rooms were
disgusting and definately not worth the money.

I'm not complaining about dark furniture, it's more about the overall
look and feel of the rooms.

This were the worst rooms compared to the other locations of our tour.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank robther1pp3r
Anne M, General Manager at Stonefield Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your very constructive review. I am pleased you enjoyed our location, food and friendly service and I do take your point regarding some of our bedrooms. We have just started an extensive refurbishment programme and hope to enhance future guest experience by upgrading our bedrooms and bathrooms to a very high standard. I hope you will visit us again and let me know what you think of the changes we will have made.
Once again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Vi stayed one night at Stonefield. Vi arrived late at night, ,The reception was closed but all the keys to the room where ready on the desk in a envelope. The rooms are nice.
Breakfast is god standart (Buffet) and you can order dishes from the kitchen and join a gorgeous
view from your breakfast table over the Loch Fyne. Recomend for Couples just to relax for a view days.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

We do appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Stonefield. We are very lucky to enjoy the peace and tranquility around the Castle and I am happy that you experienced it too. Thank you for your appreciation of my staff and for your comments about your breakfast, the most important meal of the day, we Scots believe. I hope you will stay with us again should you travel to this part of the world.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

For anyone that is looking for relaxation and to literally get away from it all, book up now for this wonderful hotel. My girlfriend and I came to Stonefield Castle for a 2 night break after a really difficult and busy year or 2. It just couldn't have ticked anymore boxes.

On the approach to the hotel, you drive up a tree lined driveway for about 800yrds to then come across the most beautiful sight of the hotel perched on the top of the hill overlooking Loch Fyne. After parking up, we checked-in at reception, and were kindly shown around the main public rooms. The first reception room, which was just beautiful, then bar area and restaurant which both looked over the loch and woodland gardens. We then were taken up to our room in the main part of the castle. There is a lift for anyone who may have issues with stairs. Our room (21) had ample space for storage, a lovely big bathroom and the most pleasing view of the loch. The room had everything that you need for a short stay. I never understand why people complain about fixtures, fittings and stuff.... at the end of the day, do you need anything more than a bed, tea and coffee, tv and an en-suite? The bedroom itself was very comfortable with a super king-size bed, table and chairs, dresser, hairdryer. Its décor was to a nice standard with rich colours. The bathroom was extremely clean, tiled fully. The ceiling had a little paint flaking but c'mon that's me being super critical. It in no way affects usage of the facilities. It certainly didn't bother me.
Moving onto dinner time now.... The restaurant is quite simply beautiful. Food was to a really high standard and served by some of the most attentive waiting staff I have ever met. The restaurant staff could not do enough for you and took the time to chat to you if you conversed with them. Every one of them was very genuine and us Brits could really take a page out of their book. I can fully understand why this restaurant has received its AA Rosette since around 2004. The food, service and views all compliment each other. There is plenty of choice on the menu, and I need to be honest and say that as you can imagine, the seafood dishes were simply superb. I did have duck on my second night, and it was cooked to perfection.
The bar area was lovely to relax in after a beautiful meal with a great selection of malts, wines and spirits. You can sit in here during the day or relax in the patio area just outside where there are plenty of tables and chairs with parasols.
The grounds are lovely with a massive selection of trees and shrubs. The pathways to the little island and the edge of the loch are in good shape, but is a little muddy. Again if I was to be really picky, I think it would be a huge benefit for the hotel to put in some handrails on the steps and steeper paths for those who need a little extra help and support. The paths I'd imagine could become very mucky and slippery during wet weather, so I'd advise a pair of boots or walking shoes, however there are some boots at the front door of the hotel.
SOOOO..... all in all, the 2 of us had an amazing time and cannot wait to go back to Stonefield Castle. To be fair, we didn't want to come back home. Hope this helps out in any decisions you make.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John W

Your review must surely be one of the best I have received during my two plus years as General Manager at Stonefield. Receiving comments like these from a guest really gives the staff and myself a real boost and lets us know that we're on the right track to achieving guest satisfaction.
Thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you backto Stonefield Castle.