“A great find!”

Price range: US$16 - US$48
Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The style of cooking is seasonal Modern British with a contemporary look for the adventurous along with classic British Fayre, for those who enjoy traditional meals at lunch or in the evening, served in the restaurant, bar, lounge or garden from 12.00pm till 3pm and 6pm till 9.00pm.
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We'd tried to get a table for a light lunch at the Grapevine, but there was no table so we looked at the menu here.

We were so warmly welcomed ( with our two young children) and shown the lounge and the bar and talked through the menu.

We ordered the soup of the day, minute steak hot ciabatta, prawn sandwiches. The service was great, food arrived quickly.

Generous portions of well prepared local foods were a treat, and the minute steak, asked to be cooked rare, was perfect.

A great place that we'd recommend and visit again

1  Thank Jonathan S

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Came here for dinner only and wasn't disappointed.
The food was 'good' but the service was 'very, very good'.
I dined in the restaurant, which looked a bit stark and bare at first, but maybe that was because there was only a party of 6 in there.
The food was well presented and well cooked, but the service "at table" was excellent and that is why I rate this as "very good" rather than "average".
IF the restaurant had been full, however, I might be telling a different story. Who knows...?

Reviewed 8 October 2012

My wife & I have just thoroughly enjoyed a two day midweek break in one of the garden rooms at the Royal Sportsman Hotel.From arrival to departure we found all the staff without fail courteous, helpful & obliging.Our room was comfortable, spotlessly clean with every facility.We enjoyed our dinner on both nights & the home made marmalade at breakfast was to die for. A lively bar with an excellent choice of ales added to our pleasure & the covered car parking enabling access into the rear of the hotel was very convenient. Louie the proprietor is something of a character & I am led to believe he & his wife will be taking part in the TV programme 'Four In A Bed' in the near future which hopefully will feature the hotel in a good light.Porthmadog is a bustling town with pleasant shops, coastal walks on your doorstep, an interesting marina & Portmerion just down the road.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

After a trip on the Welsh highland railway we were looking for somewhere to eat and after checking out several other restaurants in town we settled on the Royal sportsman.
The gentleman on reception was very helpful and showed us the various options as to where we could sit for out evening meal.
We decided on the less formal bar and chose some items from the special menu.
Now whilst I must admit that the food was very good both my wife and I were somewhat surprised to learn that with the main entree you got either a choice of vegetables OR (chipped/boiled/mashed)potatoes.
Never eaten anywhere else that didn't provide both veg and a form of potato and when I queeried this at reception they had to ask the kitchen if it indeed was a mistake.
It turned out to be the case and if you wanted both then an extra charge was raised though our meals came with a seperate serving of mash which we weren't charged for.
As I say this was off the daily specials menu and maybe the full deal includes everything and I'm just being picky,it just didn't seem right.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Came here yesterday with my parents and two young daughters, we are currently on holiday from Australia staying with my parents. We suggested lunch here as we were encouraged in with the AA rosette, being married to a chef, i understand the importance this sign does.
We were very disappointed on entrance to the bar, small, tables pushed right up to the seats at one stage there wasn't enough room to stand an order a drink at the bar, an there wasn't that many people in there!
I ordered our drinks, clearly they are understaffed as there was only a young lad there on his own trying to do his best.
We sat down looked at the menu which we all struggled to find something that we fancied. I think for this standard of a hotel i'd say you need a far more extensive menu, an definitely nothing from the 90's.
We waited for our food to arrive an the bar man asked if we wanted to eat in the lounge, we said we would and carried on with our drinks, he carried on running around, few minutes later I'm assuming he's the manager arrived with two plates for us an told us very abruptly and rudely that we couldn't all five of us eat there, I explained we were moving into the lounge, so he abruptly quipped in a few remarks, at my dad we followed him through to the lounge where he rudely accepted my fathers offer of opening the door. The rest of the food followed it was all o.k my daughters chicken was terribly dry, an the chips are ridiculously big, but it was o.k.
Nobody came into check on us, to see if our food was o.k or that we needed anything nobody bothered (hardly service you'd expect at that level) I'm really unsure what this rosette is all about!! We finished we didn't bother getting the ice cream that came with the child's meal for my daughters as i think we'd still be there now locked away in that room all alone with absolutely no atmosphere at all. Over all the whole place is awful an id never go there again hospitality is huge in North Wales, an this guy isn't hospitable in the slightest. I wouldn't even stop by for a drink.......

4  Thank 461welshinoz
Croiala, Manager at The Dining Room at Royal Sportsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Sometimes with some reviews, all is not as it seems - and this is clearly one of those cases.

Whilst we do not wish to elaborate on the actual circumstances, we would like to clarify that our Rosette menu is not served at Sunday lunchtime - something that is made abundantly clear on the menus on both the outside and inside the hotel. On Sundays, we serve Sunday Lunch and Lite Bites as described for all to see and both are very popular.

Our staffing levels were also considerably greater than claimed by this reviewer on the day in question - which is easily proven. We monitor customer satisfaction and are always keen to have immediate feedback and do our utmost to properly address any issues.

In this case, the customer was both aggressive and rude to a Manager who was trying to be helpful by ensuring that they sat at a table from which it was comfortable to eat. He was polite at all times which I can verify and such behaviour in return was simply unwarranted.

On occasion, no matter what is said or done, a very few individuals in this world will continue to find fault and embellish the truth. We are grateful that, as proven by our many loyal, repeat customers and the feedback that we receive from the vast majority, that this is very rare