“A Great Sunday Lunch”

Price range: US$16 - US$48
Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The style of cooking is seasonal Modern British with a contemporary look for the adventurous along with classic British Fayre, for those who enjoy traditional meals at lunch or in the evening, served in the restaurant, bar, lounge or garden from 12.00pm till 3pm and 6pm till 9.00pm.
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Having travelled to Porthmadog on the Welsh Highland Railway, my wife and I had a marvellous Sunday lunch at the hotel. A great host together with excellently prepared, locally sourced, food made this a great visit. I would recommend the hotel restaurant very highly.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

We ate from the AA Rosette menu (the restaurant has two rosettes) and the food was really, really good, and is surely the best in town. If the hotel takes this much care over the other menus then it offers exceptional value for money in a relaxed setting.

The only sad thing to note was how few people were there - just six people in the restaurant all night. I hope this place makes its money during high season. It's a real gem and every visitor to Porthmadog should eat at the Sportsman's.

1  Thank Nathan H
Reviewed 22 March 2013

There was a large table of us for Mothers Day. It was my first visit. The decor, though fresh, is very old fashioned - dusty pink walls :( but that is the only negative thing I can say (other than one male waiter was a bit mardy). We had welcome drinks served promptly, order taken promptly - service efficient and with a smile. Home made bread and Welsh butter on seating - beautiful! Food was all really really good. Place would be my number one choice for food in the area (Pwllheli-Porthmadog) though they need to pump up the heating and re-think the decor. Please please support this place as they are getting the food sooooooooo right.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We were attracted by the rosettes and the fact that we could park undercover in the hotel on a terrible wet day. We just wanted a snack so went into the bar rather than the deserted ( but rather nice looking ) restaurant . The bar decor was very outmoded and the wine choice was from bar pumps rather than the bottle which is always pot luck and thus to be avoided (but matched the decor I suppose ) . The meals for rosette food were disappointing - the bar staff did not know whether the blue cheese on the ploughmans was a strong or medium blue and made no offer to find out and the home made chutney had gone off . When this was pointed out , no apology was offered or that it would be replaced, just he would tell the chef. The Hot Tuna Melt Ciabatta was not hot but luke warm and the salad on both meals was served with no dressing. I am sure the resaurant is a lot better but the bar food was poor - avoid

1  Thank Don28_12
Reviewed 7 February 2013

My wife and I can not wait to visit again truly enjoyable food and friendly staff. Thank you. Richard Williams