“great thai food”

Ranked #4 of 56 Restaurants in Porthmadog
Price range: US$22 - US$32
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Come and try our delicious authentic Thai food cooked and lovingly prepared by a Thai chef 'Sujit' Enjoy Al fresco dining in style with a stunning view of ranges Snowdonia Mountains and Porthmadog harbour.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“great thai food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Loved the ambience of this place as soon as we walked in.
Staff were attentive to ensure you had all that was required.
I overheard another family ask for extra chilli in their order, which we felt was lacking.
The kids absolutely loved the food.
Go early (especially with kids) to ensure a decent table as the seating can get a bit cramped.

thaiharbwr1, Owner at Thai Harbwr, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely comment:) glad you all enjoyed your meal experience with us.

Caernarfon, United Kingdom
“Never fails to please!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Every time we eat here I try to choose something different and I've always been more than happy with my choice. I had the Chefs Lucky gold bags as a starter, excellent portion and the filo pastry they were cooked in was perfect, the Welsh beef Massaman Curry as a main (Su, the chef personally recommended this as she remembered what I had last time and obviously knew my taste), very tasty and the beef just melted on your tongue, wow. The kids had the Spare Rib starter, but as a main, excellent. A favourite restaurant of ours and keep recommending to friends. I hope the group of around ten people that were queuing up as we left took my advice and waited for a table! A different waiter and waitress this time, very polite and in traditional Thai outfits, keep up the excellent work...see you soon!!

thaiharbwr1, Owner at Thai Harbwr, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you very much for a lovely comment we hope to see you all again very soon.
Ps the Panang Pork curry is also nice as well:) maybe you would like to try that next time?
Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We recently visited this restaurant, and had an awful experience. In summary: ghastly massaman curry, rude manageress, and INSTANT coffee at £2.65/cup.

Massaman is one of my favourite curries, but in this establishment, I had about 8 small, thin slices of beef served in a bowl of quite tasteless sauce, no hint of any spice or flavour of any kind. On booking, we had been offered a table by the window, but on arrival, were put away from the window, on querying this, and mentioning our promised table by the window, the manageress told us that 'you can see the window from your table', as you could from all other tables in the restaurant! The final straw was when my wife asked for decaf coffee. She had a tasteless cup of instant coffee, shown as 'Instant' on the bill, for £2.65. I queried this with the manageress, and she told me the price 'was quite reasonable'. My strong advice is to avoid this place.

1 Thank BritTraveller17
thaiharbwr1, Owner at Thai Harbwr, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for you review however we felt that you have been unfair with your comment on here because on the night your party of four people has had the early bird special which is £15 per person for a three course meal. You all enjoyed your food because when I asked if everything was ok with the food you were all happy and when I clean your table all your plates and bowls was empty.

With regards to the table with the views of the harbour we never promised that you will be seated at the table where the patio door. We said we can reserve you a table with the view of the harbour. The table that you ‘wanted’ to sit was a setting for 6 people but there were only 4 of you so I recommend for you to sit on the next table literally 1 step away from the patio door. So you can’t complain that you didn’t get a table with the view of the harbour.

I am sorry if you felt I was being rude but to my believe it was the opposite. When you came to pay you mentioned in a very rude manner to me that the coffee was expensive but all I said to you was that it was a reasonable price. And that was all I said to you and you were actually still being rude to me whilst I was taking your payment. There was nothing else I could say because I have explained everything to you.
Manchester
“Great location & service, but food too bland and westernised”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Four of us tried Thai Harbwr on a recent first visit to Porthmadog, attracted by the setting, good TA reviews...and for the early bird special - £15 per head for 3 courses!

Overall it was quite a good experience, friendly attentive staff and service, relaxing ambience and great harbour side location.

Our first courses, including Thai fish cakes, pork cakes and "Chef's lucky gold bags" were pretty good, generous portions and well presented.

The main courses (including red, green and Massaman chicken curries and a Panang pork curry) that we shared between us were though surprisingly disappointing.

All were very samey, just different colours, all too sweet and gloopy with too much coconut, and without any of the light delicate fresh flavours and ingredients we expected. Quite small portion sizes too. The steamed Jasmine rice was good though.

3 of our group were from south east Asia, all of us have visited various parts of Thailand and tried many Thai restaurants in the UK too. This was easily the most disappointingly westernised of any we've visited.

The dessert options were restricted to a choice of three flavours of cheap ice cream (chocolate, vanilla and raspberry ripple)...generous portions but again not exactly Thai!

So all in all for us adequate but a bit disappointing. Perhaps the chef was in a rush and/or authentic ingredients in short supply at the time, but not somewhere we'd be likely to recommend to anyone looking for authentic Thai food...a shame given the friendly staff and great location.

1 Thank David Lee
thaiharbwr1, Owner at Thai Harbwr, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thanks for your comment and we are sorry that you were disappointed with the main course, however we always use quite a lot of coconut milk because our curries would taste nicer we do not like to use water because it would lessen the thickness and taste of the food. Anyway you should not complain about too much coconut milk because believe me it is not cheap to buy!

I am actually quite surprise to read this comment because I actually remember what you had on the early bird special and when I cleared your table all your plates and bowls were empty! Does that say a lot that four of you had actually enjoyed your main course?

And the chef always in a good mood she never had a bad day! She loves cooking and that’s her passion and that is the way she cooks, so if you don’t like it then you can go and eat somewhere else that does £15 per head for a three course meal!
Derby, United Kingdom
“Superb service and THE best Thai meal outside of Bangkok!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We were super impressed with the restaurant and grateful to receive such a warm and friendly welcome - we were still in our hiking gear, having claimed Mt Snowdon earlier in the day - so not your usual Friday night outfit.
My husband and I both had our favourite - Tom Yam soup - this was without a doubt THE best Tom Yam we have had outside of Thailand. The soup was silky and filled with mushrooms and king prawns, kaffir lime leaves and a heady aroma of Thai herbs and spices. Simply divine!
Our main was a wonder Thai Green Curry and again, it was like nothing we had before - and we have had a number of them. The restaurant is seriously one of the best and we will definitely come back.

thaiharbwr1, Owner at Thai Harbwr, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely comment! we are all really appreciate and so happy that you enjoyed your meal experience with us.
see you again