“Most Disappointing”

Sima Tandoori
Ranked #14 of 56 Restaurants in Porthmadog
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Okehampton, United Kingdom
“Most Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I think this place must have changed hands or changed chef over the last few months. It was excellent for a while when I first started coming back (fairly regularly) to Portmadoc 3 or 4 years ago. However, after three recent goes - two takeaways and one in the upstairs restaurant with friends, during the Winter, I give it the Thumbs Down now.

Everything tastes the same, no individuality in spicing, the "hot dishes" not really hot. A Madras "Lamb" Balti tasted little different from a Sunday carvery gravy in a cheap pub. Equally importantly, I noticed on the take-away pack was marked "meat", not lamb. I know never to believe the "lamb thing" in an "Indian" restaurant, it usually being ewe mutton, which I don't mind, but this was interspersed with chunks of chicken... and chicken is certainly something I would want to avoid from any takeaway (antibiotics etc.). No, it's very sad really, but in view of the competition there, certainly during the holiday season, it is crowded, so somebody loves it, but I'll give it a rest until the next tenants arrive. How it is getting such praise from your other contributors I just don't understand. My comments below are based on a previous restaurant visit.

CharlesFussey

• Visited January 2014

Market Drayton, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal to end our holiday”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Went in after giving up on looking for a pub meal in Porthmadog and were pleasantly surprised! The food was very good quality and reasonably priced, service was friendly and the music added a lovely atmosphere. We were offered drinks on the house at the end but had to decline as we had to leave.

• Visited August 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Beats fish and chips (again!) ”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

One of the nicest curries we have had in a long time!

We avoided the masses queuing for fish and chips and went for the 7.95 lunchtime special!

Any chicken or veg starter, any 'classic curry' and a rice or bread.

Amazing service, great food,

Suggestion for the owner..
Advertise a break down of what the offer entails in the window. Those more sceptical may just walk by. We only came in when Lesley walked in and asked what the special was. If I was by myself I would have walked on by.

Highly recommend, full of flavour! Try the chilli tikka rice :)

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely!! :)”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We had a lovely meal here on a Wednesday evening!! We had the whole upstairs floor to ourselves :) The chef even made us some onion bhajis while we waited for our main meal and we also got a free drink when we payed the bill! Service was good and we thoroughly enjoyed the food..would definitely come back!!!! :)

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Sarah M
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had an amazing meal in here when we stayed in Porthmadog. Everything was perfect and they catered for our tastes. Just Fab :)

Visited June 2014