“Very welcoming,and comfy.”

Porthmadog B & B Castell
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Porthmadog
Porthmadog B & B Castell
Ranked #10 of 12 Porthmadog B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Thank you Bridget and Beth a wonderfull stay at your b&b . The views from room 3 were breath taking,The room itself was comfy and clean.Breakfast was very good all in all a brilliant stay will be back,very welcoming. Lovely setting.

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Porthmadog B & B Castell

Reviewed 12 August 2012

I booked room 3 and stayed there with my partner Alison and our 8yr old Sophie last summer. We loved it so much I saved my pennies for a longer stay this year (2012). The view from the window couldn't be better. The welcome from Beth and Mike (and this year, Bridget also) was the warmest possible: it matched the weather! We all loved the breakfast, although the girls struggled with the quantity, not being used to it! The room was clean and tidy and (mostly) we kept our shoes off indoors to keep it that way. Beth even took Sophie with her when walking the dogs... it was one of THE holiday highlights for her! Will we return again? You know the answer to that one!

Room Tip: Harbour facing! Lovely to see the sun rise over distant mountains.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank richard b
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I had trouble getting both the bathroom and WC doors to stay shut (see other reivews). The view from the front over the harbour is fantastic, if you have one of the bedrooms which faces that way. I would urge you to avoid bedroom 5: it is a tiny single room, facing the blank stone wall of the house next door. The kind of room where jilted lovers finally give up.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My partner and I stayed in the self-contained appartment for 4 nights and I guess the most important statement is that we would happily stay here again when in Porthmadog.

Rooms were clean and well appointed, the breakfast was great for our tastes and they were very flexible. Both Bridget and Beth were very friendly and welcoming. We actually ate out each night so didn't use the cooker but it looked clean and in good condition. The fridge-freezer worked (was cold inside) but did make quite a loud noise when the pump was running after the second night. Being a light sleeper I had to turn it off overnight in the end.

Porthmadog itself is a good location to explore the surrounding area and a reasonable location for places to eat & drink in the evening. Its a quiet town so don't expect too lively a night out but the closet pub to the B&B was also the friendliest, The Ship Inn which is 3mins walk.

Borth-y-gest is about 10-15min walk from the B&B and although very small is a great place to visit, the tea room was very good.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ab_wales
Reviewed 18 June 2012

With many choices and different standards around Porthmadog, the Castell B& B is a good middle of the road Bed & Breakfast. Beth and Bridget very friendly and helpful, with good choice of traditional breakfast. Welsh weather meant we delayed our first day out but were able to use their guest lounge during the morning. As the weather cleared we could see the attraction of the position of this B& B with stunning views over Snowdonia and even Snowdon's summit appeared in the distance. Portmadog and Borth-y-Gest walkable from this convenient location.

Room Tip: En-Suite definately recommended. and newly refurbished
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed at Castell back in April and unlike the previous viewer i found both Bethan and Bridgett to be friendly, genuine and accomodating...such a welcome relief after a long journey.

Breakfast was well cooked and plentyful. The Castell has a great view overlooking the harbour...and it's also in a convenient location for the Welsh Coastal path and some lovely woodland walks in Pen y banc.

I loved the Castell and will look forward to my next visit. Diolch yn fawr Bethan!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ShropshireFoodie101
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The bathroom and toilet doors will not fasten shut from inside which may be OK in your own home but not somewhere with facilities shared by strangers. A couple of bolts is all that's needed. The sugar in my room was old and had been damp so it was solid. Breakfast was at a communal table so you eat alongside strangers.
Due to a genuine mistake (I confused the cost of a future stay with the Castell's prices) I paid most of what was owed but was £30 short and will post the balance on but on return home I had a rather abrupt and not very friendly message on my answer machine saying I actually owe more than I do - there was NO receipt offered so I wrote it down on the reverse of the slip from the money machine.
I will not stay there again as the friendliness is superficial.

Room Tip: Only the double rooms are ensuite so take something heavy to wedge the bathroom and toilet doors shu...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Bronco58
castellporthmadog, Owner at Porthmadog B & B Castell, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Thanks Hazel for your comments. Thankyou also for paying the balance on your account and for your apology, greatly accepted. For the reference of Tripadvisors reading this 'not so nice posting' Hazel admits that she confused the money with another booking in Caernarfon which she had also booked online! Nevermind we all make mistakes, but it was quite a damming posting, an apology for everyone else to see would be nice please Hazel. As for your other comments, yes maybe the bolts on the doors are a little tricky but everyone else seems to have no problem with them but we have changed them now! As to the seating arrangement at breakfast everyone seems to love it apart from Hazel!! If you would have preferred to sit on your own to have your breakfast you only needed to say so (there were only 2 more people at Castell during your stay). Anyway we shall carry on regardless as everyone seems to love what we're doing, we surely cannot please everyone as long as we please the majority of our visitors that's great. Many thanks for all your comments Hazel, everything has been dealt with.
Many thanks Beth and Brigette.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthmadog
Royal Sportsman Hotel
#2 of 6 in Criccieth
Yr Hen Fecws
Yr Hen Fecws
#6 of 12 in Porthmadog

Been to Porthmadog B & B Castell? Share your experiences!