“brilliant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tyddyn Llwyn Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Tyddyn Llwyn Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Tyddyn Llwyn Bar & Grill has now closed. A new venture with new management will be opening soon.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

i had food here on Monday was fantastic i really dont no why people have complained i had no issue fantastic i had the burger and my wife fish and kids shared a pizza really could not of asked for more i will definitely be coming back

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank harry c

Skipton, United Kingdom
“Food was disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

It's a shame you can't review the campsite separate from the restaurant because the campsite part would have got 5 stars off us as it is fantastic it has friendly staff probably the nicest shower and laundry block I have ever seen and is a lovely place to stay.

However we are reviewing the restaurant which unfortunately was probably one of the worst establishments that I've eaten in a very long time. Aside from the fact that there were little stickers all over the menu which were the things they didn't have so I ordered a burger and they didn't have that either. When the food that we did order eventually came it was rubbish my wife had the cod which was so raw a good kiss of life would have resuscitated it so it had to be sent back with the very apologetic waitress I had the lasagne which was supposed to be freshly prepared. It wasn't it had gone burnt congealed and rubbery typical of something that had been microwaved and the chips that were supposed to be hand cut were like something you would find at the bottom of a bag of oven chips little bits of crisp scrag ends that looked like they were going to run out of chips as well. My son and I had finished eating by the time my wife's fish came back which looked like they had bludgeoned it with an axe to get it to cook. By this time my wife wasn't interested in it any more so we took it back for the dog and even she turned her nose up at it and our dog like most isn't fussy. Never the less I paid the bill and as we were about to leave the woman I believe to be the landlady came over and asked if everything was ok in the end to which I replied no. She was very apologetic but said I should have told her before I paid the bill. I don't really see what difference it made when I told her but it obviously did. She also told me that on that day she had a temporary chef in and that he probably wouldn't be back whether that was true or not I don't know but it didn't make my meal any better for knowing her normal chef wasn't there in my opinion she would have been better telling me there was no food on so I could have gone elsewhere and wouldn't be giving them such a poor review.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank tom p
porthmadog north wales
“Excellent sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I called here on Sunday the 8th. of June after a recommendation,as it is fairly near to where I live,but had never been before.
There was lamb,beef,pork tenderloin,ham,turkey and chicken on offer,you could select any you wanted and they were all freshly cooked and carved for you.Then there were the biggest yorkshire puddings I have ever seen,and roasted potatoes with fresh rosemary,then a huge selection of fresh veg,peas,carrots,mash,swede and squash, cabbage to name a few.Proper gravy too,and the stuffing even had fresh sage leaves and flowers on top,and a sprinkling of chives too.Will soon be back!

• Visited June 2014
United Kingdom
“Beautiful Views, No hassle site! ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I hope you find this review helpful. I've given my honest opinion and listed everything I can remember. It is a long one so bear with me!
I went camping with my 6yr old daughter (unfortunately as my husband is in the army and currently training in canada, he couldn't come ).
Firstly, Well kept grounds, very polite reception /shop staff, lots of leaflets on what to do in the area. No hassle check in!
Shop sells NO meat, but does stock local milk, cheese, butter, no proper bread but has long life bread rolls (?) which tasted ok! Croissants are good too! Wifi is available but before you buy it, make sure you are able to get signal at your pitch or inside of your van/tent/caravan. I was lucky to get 1-2 bars sat in the awning. (Pitch 31.)
There is only 1 bin on site (or rather off) and that's by the entrance/exit. So be prepared to walk up a few hills with bin bags/doggy bags. I wasn't too bothered by this though, at least the smell was restricted to one area!
Games room is by the reception. I never saw anyone in there! There's a lovely little shallow stream and woods for the kids to go exploring in and that's where most of the kids were! Children's park is at the top of the hill. It has monkey bars, slide and a few balance things. No swings though.
Water taps a plenty throughout the site!
Chemical waste disposal by the toilets

TOILETS: Cleaned everyday between 3.30pm and 4.15pm (I think)
Motor home side toilets are dated and in the morning, very very cold. There are 4 toilet cubicles and 3 showers. Could really do with updating or heating at least!
Newer toilet block is much warmer and feels cleaner but only 3 showers and 3 toilets in that block. Worth the short trek up the hill to have a warmer shower.
Cost 50p for a shower and 20p hairdryer. If you have your own hairdryer or straighteners, it's another 20p to use their plug socket.
£2 to use the washing machine.. you will need at least £3 for the dryer to dry your clothes (that's with a light load!)
Pitches are clean, quite level and on stone. They are however very close and cars end up parked on the grass right next to your van.
Local shops are at least a 20-25 minute walk (with children) there are hills so bear that in mind! There are some fab little cafés to choose from. The site does feel a bit far out so unless you're really into your biking or have a car, you'll have a long walk everywhere.

Only real complaint : Restaurant.. I decided on our last night to give it a try after reading good reviews on it. When I went in, the barman came across as very abrupt to me. I felt quite quickly that I was a hindrance. I noted his rudeness to another family as they wanted to push tables together because there were 8 in their group. I was mid ordering and the bar man (without apology) cut me short and began shouting at the grown men who were simply pushing tables together. (the barman totally put me off at this point.) I finally got to order my food and sat down in the corner out of the way. 10 minutes later, a woman appeared and apologised to the family.

I will say however, that the waitresses are lovely and very friendly. High 5 to the girls!

The newly decorated dining area that is shown in photos is only for adults. Families are put in the back room that's very dated and feels dirty. (I was disappointed as I was looking forward to sitting in there, my daughter is very well behaved and sits quietly.) In the 'family' room, there's 2 tvs showing sky sports and music playing over it (currently listening to Ant n Dec - let's get ready to rumble.) There's a pool table. Old style blue carpets, depressing dark maroon painted walls, ugly curtains, old light fittings and old miss matched tables (probably the old stuff from the newly decorated dining area)

I ordered the cajun chicken which was off the 'special' board. It was dry yet swimming in fat. I only ate the chicken because I was so hungry! Onion rings were very deep fried and left little to be desired. There wasn't much onion left in it tbh! Mushrooms (all 3 of them) were also swimming in some fluid but we're edible. The chips tasted very strange and I could only manage 3 before feeling like I was going to be sick.
My daughter ordered the kids fish fingers, chips and peas. All again, very deep fried and tasteless but she enjoyed the peas. . I decided not to order dessert, I didn't want to waste any more money, told the waitress who was very polite and thanked me for the feedback and I then left. Maybe I arrived on a bad day but it wasn't all it was cracked out to be.... Save your money and go elsewhere.

All in all I did have a relaxing break, the weather was good (ok a few showers but it's Wales, not the Algarve!) and my daughter made plenty of friends. Just a shame that the restaurant and barman ruined it.
I'd not rebook here personally because it's just a bit too far away from anything but if it's what you like then you'll enjoy it!

5 Thank Stacey_Hobin
wales
“Dylan and staff look after you- warm welcome and beautiful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I can't believe the previous reviewer who left early and wrote a bad review- were they at the same camp site? the staff are always friendly, from the reception, wardens and bar and kitchen staff. They're not in the list of the country's top 100 campsites for no reason. We go several times a year and have always been treated with respect, courtesy and cheerfulness. The bar has a designated children's area and the showers are always hot- I don't mind paying for them- has the reviewer seen the price of electricity lately? They do have overheads you know.
Anyway, that aside, it's great to be back after the winter break. The refurbished bar serves real ales and there's outside seating. There is a blue tits nest in the ciggy bin on the wall, so smokers will have to smoke elsewhere!
The restaurant is one of the best going- great food, beautifully cooked and reasonably priced. We partook in the Sunday carvery- what a feast. We couldn't make our minds up which meat to have, so Dylan gave us a very generous, thick slice of each- pork, lamb, beef, gammon, turkey- all beautifully cooked and lots of flavour. We also had two big roasties, a yorkshire, a choice of creamed leeks, mash, carrots, brocolli, sprouts, peas, mashed swede, gravy, stuffing and appropriate sauces. We stuffed ourselves silly and walked it off on the beach afterwards. Great value and certainly quality food. Lovely real ales from our friendly chatty hosts behind the bar.
The kitchen and bar staff are lovely and friendly happy to chat. The evening menu is fantastic- I had a beautiful home made bolognese, last year, served in the Italian style of the pasta stirred in the sauce, instead of the American style of the sauce on top of the pasta. I was impressed as I cook Italian at home and study how it's prepared and served etc. Dylan and staff know what they're doing in the kitchen
The restaurant is open to non patrons and the adjoining campsite is fabulous. We look forward to more good food and ales ;-)

• Visited May 2014