We had just stayed at a 4 star hotel for less money and were doing 1night stops round North wales, so thought its expensive for a 3 star hotel, it must make up for it in other ways. Given the poor service and state of this hotel, I’m glad it was only 1 night!
We arrived at 1730hrs to get greeted with a “we’ll see” attitude over our booking. The sarcasm wasn’t delivered too well, but we thought we were weary from our travels. We were told we had to book our dinner by 6 if we wanted to eat there as they had a booking for 14 people, (non guests may I add) which made you feel really welcome! So we didn’t bother. More than 14 people is obviously too much for them, and so took our business elsewhere.
We got back and went to the bar around 2200hrs to have a drink at which point a rowdy gang of young golfers came in, already drunk, some were staying at the hotel, and so the hotel served them. Now I understand that it is a licensee’s responsibility over whether a customer be served, but I think they were more concerned over their till ringing. The smoke became choking, so we left which was fair enough, but a few lewd comments, and lack of bodily functions from other guests were not welcome.
The party downstairs carried on until 1am, so I feel sorry for the wedding party who were booted out at 2300hrs on a previous review. As party goers left who were not staying car horns were going and whooping and shouting gaily in the street didn’t seem to them to be out of place given the time of night. The raucous lads then went on to whoop and holler through the corridors until 3am. No drunken hush hushes, or attempts to quieten down, seemed a deliberate attempt to disrupt others. At 2am we went through the hotel guide book, and indeed as in the other review – there is no night porter. There is a number to call in emergencies, but exactly what do you define as an emergency – no lives were in threat, or was there danger to the building or other guests – except our sanity.
The facilities were basic, the showers were 80cm x 80cm trays with curtains round, so expect to flood the bathroom. No hair dryer in the room, and no way of controlling your own room heating. TV signal was poor and grainy.
We came down the next morning just before the breakfast deadline as we were so tired. The waiter came charging over, snapping “What do you want?!” as we were being seated by the waitress, bearing in mind, my bottom wasn’t on the seat, I’d not even looked at a menu. I asked him politely to calm down and we’ll be as quick as we can, we were indeed in time for breakfast, even though it was a little fine. He then rushed through our orders, and threw our breakfasts down in front of us. The food was delicious; I will give credit to the chef, but indeed no other.
When checking out and mentioned our grievance, the lady on the desk said it was our fault for not ringing the emergency number and that they can not control whether someone can handle their drink or not! No apology was offered, or condolence. BEWARE.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A very comfortable, 'home from home,' independently run, full-service quality hotel, the only hotel in Porthmadog. It has been awarded 3* by the AA and Visit Wales, 2 AA Rosette for its food and included in the Good Food Guide, using the best of local Welsh suppliers. Children are welcome and particularly pets in our courtyard rooms. Ground Floor rooms also available for those with walking difficulties. Private covered parking, cycle lock up, drying room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms and Ebookers so you can book your Royal Sportsman Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Royal Sportsman
- Royal Sportsman Porthmadog
- Royal Sportsman Hotel Porthmadog, Wales