“Memorable”

Ranked #2 of 26 Rhyl B&B and Inns
London
“Memorable”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

This is a sort of passing through establishment...the type you always hope to find when you are not in the mainstream accommodation part of the world! Yes I know there are a fair few hotels around Rhyl, but when you are "passing through" and only staying the odd night isn't it wonderful that you can find somewhere that makes your passing through "memorable".
The Barratts say they are a restaurant with a few rooms, and we had a couple which were delightful.As you can see from other reviewers and their own web site the house is a treasure of history and the Barratts own lives.
There were just we three staying the night for dinner and breakfast.The food was exceptional, better than anything I have had in North Wales before and the accommodation was comfortable and very homely.... well we are staying in their home after all! and Elvira and David made us feel very much at home. They obviously weren't too busy so they may not always be able to be quite so personally attentive, but in such a short space of one night we became friends and it was they that made this experience MEMORABLE. If you just want to put your head down go to a Premier Inn if you want to have good food,good company and interesting homely environment then you have found your repose in Rhyl! We will be back.

Room Tip: Speak to Elvira and see what's available....she will give the best she has.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HarrowRay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2013

After finding Barratts through TripAdvisor and seeing guest photos of the place through here, it has to be said that the photos don't do the place justice.

The features on both the inside and outside of the hotel are magnificent. The study and downstairs seating area have so many intricate details it's impossible to list them all. The room followed suit and had some great facilities with little touches like a DVD selection to watch and original windows being lovely to see.

The owners were so pleasant throughout the stay and made several excellent suggestions on where to go during time we had there, including the lovely Portmeirion where'The Prisoner' was filmed. Breakfast was delicious and had some lovely touches to it.

Highly recommended to all, go for it!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony H
London
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I chose Ty'n Rhyl because I didn't want to worry about my car in one of the B&B's in the town centre and I didn't want a bog standard hotel room. This is reputedly the oldest house in Rhyl and the interior is lovely. I was disappointed however, that I was allocated the least nicely decorated room (that would be the one that doesn't have a photo on the website) even though only 2 of the 3 rooms were occupied when I was there. To be fair the bed was incredibly comfortable and I was very cosy in amongst the covers until I was woken at 2am by the sound of water gushing from someone above me having a shower. The biggest letdown was the truly dreadful shower in my room. There was hardly any pressure and anyone with long thick hair would have struggled I feel, to wash out shampoo suds. It was basically a trickle with inconsistent temperature. Additionally, the towels provided were thin and scratchy and the toiletries appear to have been left by previous occupants.
The breakfast table was beautifully presented and the conservatory lovely with the sun streaming in. Breakfast needs to be ordered the night before and mine was very nicely cooked and of a good quality but disappointed that there was no option of black pudding or baked beans. I was not offered cereal but feel that if I had asked, it would have been available. The host is very accomodating. Altogether, I feel that my room should not be priced at the same level as the other rooms given the rubbish shower and not so nice decor. My actual rating is 3.5

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Blackcat2
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed at barratts whilst in Wales visiting family,
We arrived to a very warm welcome and the service was outstanding, they could not do enough for you.
For the money you pay with a lovely breakfast thrown in, it beats any premier inn etc that I've ever stayed at, when visiting the area again I would not hesitate to book at barratts.
Thank you again for your hospitality, the Griffiths family

• Stayed April 2013
north wales
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We have wanted to dine here for many years,and last night to celebrate a family birthday we went.driving in is impressive at night,its a beautifully proportioned house,the conservatory looked cosy and pleasantly decorated.a log fire was blazing in the grate of the oak panelled hall and we sat down on comfy sofas to sip sherry and read the menu. 3 courses £40 each, choice of 4 dishes for each course.we ate in the dining room which had a beautiful chandelier .the food was delicious ,the wine good,a fair choice was on offer.service was discreet and efficient .we all enjoyed our experience at Tyn Rhyl and yes I would recommend everyone to try it .ps we drove there and got a taxi home and our hosts were fine about leaving the car overnight .

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This place is 1st class!! The food is outstanding, the staff are welcoming & friendly, accommodation is spacious & comfortable but best of all are the ghost stories. Although Mrs Barratt is rushed off her feet she still makes time to chat with her guests and if you enquire about the hauntings (don't worry the ghosts are friendly) you won't be disappointed. After a fabulous meal and a few beers, my fiance and I sat in front of the open fire and listened to Mrs Barratts and second-hand encounters with the supernatural. We were totally engrossed by her stories, especially the brooch which went missing and mysteriously re-materialised years later. Our stay was a real treat and we can't wait to go again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sam M
Llangollen
Reviewed 17 February 2013

this house has the wow factor! There are lovely canopied beds in the room, it is the oldest house in Rhyl apparently nd retains many orinal features. There is a coal fire and oak panelling. The food is divine and wonderfully presented. A little nicetey is that every thing comes in sensible portions, the butter is in a pot not a catering pack, the toileteries are in big bottles, the tea and coffee in the room is in nice china mugs, homely yet wow.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LlangollenSue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhyl
Pier Hotel Rhyl
#3 of 26 in Rhyl
Berwyn Guest House
Berwyn Guest House
#1 of 26 in Rhyl

Been to Barratts of Tyn Rhyl? Share your experiences!