“OH DEAR!!!!”

Mirrens Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Newtown
Price range: US$4 - US$32
Cuisines: Spanish, European, British
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We offer style, value and the warmest of welcomes to each and every one of our customers. We are at the heart of the Newtown & Montgomeryshire food scene, delivering great tastes from the very best local, Welsh & continental suppliers, to discerning diners in this historic market town. Our reputation is built upon world class ingredients, from celebrated locally produced Waghu beef to creative tapas made from the best sourced ingredients Spain can offer. We are closed ALL day on a Monday & Tuesday and in the day on a Wednesday, opening at 6pm. So our Lunch menu is served Thursday to Saturday from 12noon to 3pm, and we serve our evening menu from 6pm, Wednesday to Saturday. As well as our ordinary evening menu, on a Wednesday evening we have two steaks with all the trimmings & a bottle of house wine for £35, on a Thursday evening we have a selection of 10 tapas dishes & a jug of sangria for £30 (maximum of 4 people) and on a Friday lunchtime we have a small battered fish, chips, mushy peas, bread & butter & a pot of tea for only £8.50 per person. On a Sunday we are open from 12noon to 5pm, serving a three course Sunday roast menu for £12.95. We are a venue to make any special occasion even more special, whether you want a romantic meal for two, dine with friends or arrange a family get together. In April 2016, we had a major revamp in the restaurant downstairs and also refurbished upstairs, with a stylish cocktail bar & lounge area, which is open Friday & Saturday evenings from 6pm and provides an elegant start to your evening. We also opened a private dining room upstairs, which caters for up to 8 people for the more intimate get together. Throughout the upstairs, you can soak in the local heritage of Newtown & peruse over a collection of photographs by renowned local historian Frank Moore. During the warmer months, we can offer alfresco dining in our terrace courtyard or in our purpose built Cantina, which is perfect private dining space for any occasion for up to 10 people. So all in all, you have read a brief description of what we can offer & hope to see you soon, so you can indulge in what we have to offer.
UK
“OH DEAR!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

My sister visited Mirren's the week before and was so looking forward to taking the group of us out to somewhere she had enjoyed. What an absolute shambles!!! Lovely place, it was warm so, we sat outside in the garden area which was beautifully laid out and very pretty. The menu looks fantastic. The group ordered a couple of bottles of wine to share whilst we chose our dishes - great selection of tapas and grills - plenty to read! Ordered 9 tapas dishes and mixed grills to share and, after a lot of chasing - over an hour and a half and a few more bottles of wine - the food arrived........................... disappointing beyond belief - the worst mixed grills EVER. Tiny portions of meat. Tapas were almost inedible, rubbery meatballs, patatas bravas like I have never seen before. Overcooked Mejillones. Now, ordinarily, a restaurant would actually listen to a complaint - we were told that they had been very busy, one chef had gone home due to a funny turn and even the chef had to come to the table for him to be able to confirm that the tapas were inedible - eventually he agreed. It was an embarrassing night all round, the staff defended the hour and a half wait instead of accepting they were having a bad time of it blaming us for not booking!! Had we been told on ordering that the food would take an hour and a half to arrive, we could have chosen to stay or leave. I am sure they were having a pretty bad night so, if I am over that way ever again, I might give it another shot.

• Visited July 2013
Jane H, Owner at Mirrens Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
I was very very shocked and saddened to see this and also to hear your comments, in the whole time of owning Mirren's (5 years) I have NEVER recieved comments like this from customers. As we have CCTV installed in Mirrens (9 cameras in total) I have looked through the footage, I can see you all arriving at 2050pm and proceeding to the garden area, you all sat under the canopy at the top and at the time of entry was greeted by both waitresses Kimmy and Tina, who were serving the table next to you, they both continued to serve this table and I can see Kimmy enter into conversation with you. At 2100 one of your party enter into the restaurant and you are met by Kimmy coming to take a drinks order from you. There is a conversation at the bar area and then your drinks are bought up to you along with menu's. At 2120 Kimmy is back at your table and is with you until 2126 taking your order. The order goes into the kitchen and is relayed to the chef @ 2130. I can see a conversation between the waitress and the chef, whom advised the waitress to tell you that as you hadn't booked and because there were other big tables due to have their mains, there would be about a 40-50 minute wait and also because one of our chefs had nearly fainted and had to go home causing also the additional wait in the kitchen.

However witihin the next half hour, I can see that no-one has come up to check on you or indeed advise you that there would be a wait, at 2202 the table by you, which has now left is cleared, again I can see that the waitress does not speak to you and just clears the table. This is unacceptable and for this I apologise, the staff have also been advised that I find this unacceptable too. I have also asked why you were not informed and have been advised that as a lot of people came to the till to pay, the waitress had forgot, again not at all acceptable.

At 2155 the chefs start on your food, I have scrutinized the CCTV footage and there was no difference in the way the food was made to similar orders, it was also probed and checked as we always probe check every order. The mixed grills we have never had a complaint over the size of the mixed grills before, these come in pre-packed from our local butcher, however I do take this on board and will address the size of the mixed grills. The photos you have uploaded shows the majority has been eaten, however I can see you have not touched the homemade coleslaw, the chef also advised you had not touched the Patatas Bravas or the Tosta De Lomo that had been ordered, and a complaint was made on the chirizio which you left one piece of. Our tapas has also not had complaints and again was made, heated and cooked in the same way we cook all our courses.

I know you spoke with the waitresses and also a few from your party came to the bar area and asked to see the chef who then came out to your table. I have to say that even the waitresses stated the manner and tone in which they were spoken too had never occured to them before and they all felt quite threatened and intimidated and in the end agreed with comments to appease you. He also tried to call me to come down as by now one of our waitresses was in tears. Unfortuneatley I did not pick up the call until next morning or I would have come down to speak with you.
The end result of your evening saw you only really paying for your drinks and the few dishes that had nothing remaining on the plate. Again, the reason for this was that the staff felt coersed into reducing the bill. . I am all for taken some money off if food if this is bought the our attention on the first mouthfull and having to be re-done, but for all of your party to have complaints on every single dish/plate of food after eating the majority of it, is also not acceptable and to also not try dishes and complain about this is also not acceptable either. I think my staff were also told that as a senior contributor to trip advisor you would make sure that you would write a terrible review if money was not taken off, again coercion.

I always commit fully to customer service and will go above and beyond to treat customers in a manner that I wish to be treated, fairly.

However as advised looking at the CCTV footage their was indeed a total lasp from 2130 - 2215 when your food started to arrive in communication from my staff, my staff did also not tell you there was going to be a wait and realistically should have advised on entry that we were fully booked that night and due t that could accomodate you with a wait involved or indeed advised you on alternative establishments. I apologise sincerley for this and will use this footage as a training aid for my staff to ensure that this lapse does not happen again, also to ensure that when fully booked our staff are able to advise customers of alternative establishments to avoid disappointment .

Anna Cooperwhite

uk
“Excellent Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Visited Mirrens twice during a week's holiday. The first time was a booked and planned visit the second we just turned up.
In brief the food is excellent. However, as pleasant as the waitresses are im not sure what was going on. On Saturday after being sat at the table and ordering drinks we were asked to move because the waitress had sat us at someone else's table. After finishing our starters when the waitress came to clear plates she asked if we would like a dessert. I needed to remind her that we haven't had our main course yet!
The next time we visited the waitress got one of our orders wrong and service was extremely slow. None of this should put anyone off visiting just be prepared for some strange quirks and idiosyncrasies.

• Visited July 2013
Jane H, Owner at Mirrens Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, and apologies you had the service that you encountered, its not acceptable to not know your table and to ask if you want desserts when you have not had your mains.
I am increasing the training of your staff and actually introducing the training programme with the aid of CCTV which I hope will assist quite majorly with the training programme.

We hope to see you again soon and would appreciate your comments on here when you do return with the difference on service since your last visit.

Many thanks

Anna
Newtown, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We had our wedding reception here in September 2012. We only booked the meal the week before our marriage and considering the short notice Anna was given they did an absoloutley brilliant job. The table had been made beautifully with a few extra touches. My hubby and I have dined here a few times (its a favourite place to go for lunch) but I would def recommend Mirrens as a venue if you are having a small get together or celebration. Brilliant food, brilliant service and brilliant wine!!!!!
PS - The outdoor area is fab!!

• Visited September 2012
Jane H, Owner at Mirrens Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Was an honour to be part of your day and am glad Mirrens added to such a special occasion.
Thanks so much for your kind comments....

Anna
Perth, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oh what a night!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We arrived at mirrens and unfortunately our table wasnt quite ready so Anna set us up outside with some sangria and was soooo friendly. Not long later after being looked after impeccably we went to our gorgeous table. The restaurant is pretty with fairy lights and tea lights lush! Food was tapas and was delicious. 3 tapas per person left us all full to the brim. The service made it for us rly tho Anna and the other chap looked after us so well we all felt like princesses! Thanks for an amazing hen do Anna!

• Visited June 2013
Jane H, Owner at Mirrens Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
It should be a thank you from me, we were so busy that night and as your table was not ready for you, you guys were so accomodating waiting in our outside area...... You did have a longer wait than anticipated but no excuses your table should have been ready, so again thank you for waiting and allowing us to get it all set up for you. I would also like to thank you for your praise with the tapas and the thanks on your departure for the enjoyable night you had in our restaurant, glad to have added to your hen weekend.
Nottinghamshire
“Another great meal at Mirrens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

I had been introduced to this Tapas bar the last time I visited Newtown, we stayed at the town again just to be able to visit Mirrens again (and introduce my friend to Tapas) we were not disappointed.

We returned the following night to sample the steak, again very good

• Visited June 2013