“Good food, above normal Newtown fare!”
Review of Mirrens Restaurant

Mirrens Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 53 Restaurants in Newtown
Price range: US$4 - US$33
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We offer style, value and the warmest of welcomes to each and every one of our customers. We are at the heart of the Newtown & Montgomeryshire food scene, delivering great tastes from the very best local, Welsh & continental suppliers, to discerning diners in this historic market town. Our reputation is built upon world class ingredients, from celebrated locally produced Waghu beef to creative tapas made from the best sourced ingredients Spain can offer. We are closed ALL day on a Monday, so our new lunch/evening menu is served from Tuesday through to Saturday from 12noon to 3pm, then 6pm to 10pm. As well as our ordinary evening menu, we also have daily specials available. On a Sunday we are open from 12noon to 5.30pm, serving a three course traditional Sunday roast menu. We are a venue to make any special occasion even more special, whether you want a romantic meal for two, dine with friends or arrange a family get together. In April 2016, we had a major revamp in the restaurant downstairs and also refurbished upstairs, with a stylish cocktail bar & lounge area, which is open Friday & Saturday evenings from 6pm and provides an elegant start to your evening. We also opened a private dining room upstairs, which caters for up to 8 people for the more intimate get together. Throughout the upstairs, you can soak in the local heritage of Newtown & peruse over a collection of photographs by renowned local historian Frank Moore. During the warmer months, we can offer alfresco dining in our terrace courtyard or in our purpose built Cantina, which is perfect private dining space for any occasion for up to 10 people. So all in all, you have read a brief description of what we can offer & hope to see you soon, so you can indulge in what we have to offer.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We went for lunch with in-laws, and really enjoyed our meals. Our in-laws visit Newtown regularly and assured us that this restaurant is a cut above anywhere else in town! My steak frites were delicious, my wifes steak pie was very tasty and the mussels went down well too. Fish and chips were fine. There was a reasonable choice for desserts.
The waitress was very nice , chatty and pleasant, though not overly knowledgeable about the menu. In the evenings they serve exotic meats such as Wagyu beef but rather pricey evening menu. Would definitely go back

Jane H, Owner at Mirrens Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, our new lunch time menu came out on the same day you came in, my mum was still trying to work her way around it so apologies you had her in "getting to grips" mode.
I hope you will come and try our evening menu if you visit again soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Never fails us. Beautiful food. Fantastic outside area. Great wine list. Reasonable prices. We popped in having booked 2 months in advance to ensure we got in. Tucked away from the main street, if you miss this place you have definitely missed out. Anna my steak was superb thank you.

Lisa, always a pleasure to welcome you back and apologies I did not get the chance to spend some time with you are your friend, please email when your next coming into Newtown and I will make sure I am able to join you for a drink after your meal.

Hope your keeping well.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Three adults and two children for Sunday lunch, reasonably priced would recommend.
Great service, lovely atmosphere, the music makes you feel like you're on holiday.
Roast Turkey & Roast Lamb with roast potatoes, vegetables, stuffing balls & gravy, it was all very tasty, the kids enjoyed theirs too.
Would have loved to stay for dessert but we tend to leave sharpish before the kids get restless and embarrass us...
We must make the effort to dine out more often as we need to support local small businesses.
The quality of food served here is far superior to Weatherspoons!!!
Book here for a good value for money, tasty meal, staff are friendly and attentive :)

Thanks for the great write up, unfortunately we had to stop Sunday Lunches as we didn't get the response as we initially thought. However if we do have a large table or a special occasion be it a birthday, anniversary, christening then we will of course accommodate. :0)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My friends and I were on a short break in Wales and whilst there were having a mini hen party for a friend who is getting married. We had booked a table at Mirrens based on trip advisor reviews and the description on the Web site particularly the description of the outdoor terrace.

It is a family run restaurant and from the moment we arrived we felt welcomed and like we were in for a great evening. We had 3 courses and wine. It was reasonably priced. The food was absolutely delicious. We ordered from the main menu and didn't have the tapas but we were not disappointed in anyway.

After the meal we went out to the terrace for after dinner drinks which was lovely. Everyone was so hospitable and chatty. I 3rd definitely recommend Mirrens to anyone in Newtown who is looking for a great atmosphere with lovely food and a relaxed evening.

Jane H, Owner at Mirrens Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

I am so glad you enjoyed your mini hen night whilst leaving the men up at the barns in Highgate to babysit. I hope things are going to plan for the bride with her wedding and please pass on my best wishes to her and that I hope to welcome her and her new husband to Mirren's in the future. In fact welcoming you all back.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A long departed ex-resident, I returned to Mid-Wales for a wedding and the evening before met with a few old friends for a meal at Mirrens. With memories of the what Newtown had to offer nearly 20 years ago, I wasn’t expecting much – but went for the Tapas option since I fancied something varied. Friends all ordered from the main course menu.

To be frank, if you want truly authentic Tapas, then the middle of Wales is hardly the place to find it. However, what I did order (calamari, prawns and croquettas) was really nice and tasty and I was more than happy with it – the waitress was honest about portions and recommended I didn't over order (appreciated as I had 3 dishes + salad, which was more than enough in the end). My companions all enjoyed their food – a mix of steak and fish dishes – and what else I saw coming out of the kitchen looked great – nice generous portions and a varied enough menu to keep most people happy.

There is a great garden with covered and open areas to make the best of whatever the weather throws at you (it was a typical rainy evening, but people still chose to stay outside under cover and were well sheltered). The prices were really reasonable and I'd happily re-visit next time something compels me back to that part of the world.

Thanks Noni for taking the time to write a review, I am glad you enjoyed your evening and your food. We have some new events and menus coming out, including a Tapas & Sangria Happy hour being launched on Friday 4th of July from 5 until 7.30 with music from Tommy Mills an Open Mic Night the 1st Wednesday of the month starting 2nd July and we have a Fiesta Day on Sunday 17th August local bands, paella and other various tapas dishes along with Spanish band Synergy to end the day playing @ 9pm, if your back in Newtown then, please do call in especially to try some new Tapas dishes on there courtesy of getting some new reciepes sent from Daniel Herraz (ex chef now working in a small rural tapas bar on the outskirts of Valencia) so hopefully we can recreate it just like Daniel's dish :)