“Exactly what a village pub should be”
Review of The Bull & Heifer

The Bull & Heifer
Ranked #7 of 54 Restaurants in Newtown
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Bull and Heifer is a small but vibrant little country pub in the heart of the village of Bettws Cedewain, near Newtown. It's a traditional black and white public house, with oodles of character and charm, where you are sure of a warm welcome, whenever you arrive. This family pub is a recent addition to the village, yet it's hard to believe that it hasn't been 'The local' for years...
Cheshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exactly what a village pub should be”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is a charming pub in a pretty village with a very warm welcome. The friendly staff serve consistently good meals to suit all the family. The food is delicious pub fare, done well, with no pretensions of grandeur. We spent the afternoon there watching the England/ Wales Rugby match, and being virtually the only non-Welsh in the pub, we thought the warmth of our welcome might fade when they lost. On the contrary, they maintained their smiles and were stoic in defeat! It was a pleasure to eat there, and to enjoy the excellent community spirit of the place. I only wish we had pubs like that closer to home.

• Visited March 2014

Newtown, Powys
“Not as good as it should of been.”
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

4 of us went here for a birthday meal, we arrived early than our table was booked for. As I emailed them for a menu to help speed up the process but no reply, even though they have an email address on there menu.

4 of us sat down and ordered, 30-45 mins later our food came out ( told there was a wait due to all freshly made ) then took another 10-15 mins for the vegetables and chips to come out by this time my steak was luke warm. Then we was givin the sweet menu. That was confusing in its self due to posh words they where usung (Its not a 5 star restaurant) we had to ask what each one was.

When they got to us.. wow where they rationed or what very small piece for the price.

After hearing good views about this place I was very disappointed with it.

Montgomery, United Kingdom
“Cosy ambience but average food”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The place is charming and it's a joy to be welcomed on a cold day by a lovely open fire but, sadly, the quality of the meals is not consistent. We have now had three Sunday lunches here and each time it's been different: first time around (Dec 2012) it was very good with a delicious goujons starter followed by roast beef for me and a vegetarian lasagne for my husband but the second time, two weeks later and just before Christmas, the same dishes were dreadful. The food looked as though it had been kept hot for so long it was virtually inedible with dried out spinach and lasagne perched atop a circle of horrible grey potatoes. My roast, while slightly better, was past its best and not a patch on the first.

We decided to give it another try a couple of weeks ago and this time, my husband's starter was deep fried brie with red current sauce and mine was field mushrooms with blue cheese and salad garnish, both of which we enjoyed. Our mains were risotto and roast beef and the extra gravy I asked for came in handy for the stodgy risotto! The puddings (sticky toffee pudding, and mango and papaya panna cotta) were fine. Service was good on each occasion with a limited staff but, as other reviews have said, the food is not exceptional.

• Visited February 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“lovely setting”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The service was fantastic the restaurant was lovely and the food was ok for the price but not exceptional. Will be visiting again very soon. Only down side was a group of people in the next room with one young man using a few too many expletives but you can get this anywhere.

• Visited January 2014
Wales, United Kingdom
“Dissappointed”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We live about 4 miles away and thought it would be great to have a night out just after New year. I rang up and booked for 5 people and later asked if they could E-mail me a menu, this would obviously speed things up.
Nothing, and when I got there the menu was hardly made up that morning. We chose starters and mains and were then told which ones we couldn't have, which is time wasting and not professional.
The starters were anything but fresh and locally sourced, unless frozen food is now in that category, even though the service was pleasant the food was far from what was expected, especially when you are paying London-ish prices.
I paid extra for a peppercorn sauce to go with my Sirloin, once I had it changed the next time I just left it, It had been made from a packet of what seemed to be onion gravy and had NO peppercorns in it. Even the waitress said that it must be wrong.
In a Nutshell it was not value for money and I will think twice before retuning, shame as I spend allot on entertaining my family in a year and they are missing out.

• Visited January 2014