“Best Crane experience yet”
Review of The Crane Resort

The Crane Resort
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have just returned from The Crane with my family and 3 other families of my relations. There has been a shift since my last visit 2 years ago, and the staff seem a lot friendlier. The Crane really seems to have raised their game, and although I have always enjoyed staying there, this time there were fewer niggles and it all seemed much more pleasant. (maybe the unexpected complimentary upgrade helped!). Keep an eye out for Mel-he is a star. We met him before and he was always very personable. Any small problem we mentioned to him was quickly dealt with. Not sure what his role is there, but he is a really nice guy, and The Crane are lucky to have him. The rooms, grounds, pools, room staff etc were all really nice, as usual. We ate in Donfereino's which was fine, not amazing value, but nice enough and convenient.
The beach was weedy, but nowhere near as bad as a couple of years ago, and again there were people clearing it away. I came back to the beach a week after checking out and it was thick with weed-we were just lucky I guess.

Small things: one of our party had issues with aircon, which were sorted quickly. I never use it and usually have a high floor, but they were on the ground with a baby. Also, the smaller lock off part of their room didn't have the bed settee we were expecting so we had to move the children around to get around that problem. Also there were plugs missing from the roof Jacuzzi, and a plastic 'cap' thing missing on the Jacuzzi bath. Neither was reported as a problem, and would have been fixed, but both should have been right. None of the above was a showstopper. We had a really good week.

As a healthcare professional, I would like to see first aid equipment available in the rooms and a defibrillator on the premises. Just my own thoughts, a relatively small investment for a business like The Crane, but similar to paying insurance I guess. I raised both points 5 years ago with owner, Paul Doyle and Michael Phillips, the then GM, but neither seems to have been implemented.

I have timeshare there, and I will be back in a couple of years, bringing different relatives with me. I hope the improvements and good things continue. It was an excellent week.

Room Tip: A high floor to get a breeze. I preferred block 3 to block 2, for views and layout.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank AndABoyForever
Write a ReviewReviews (2,622)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and I have been watching travel shows and dreaming about a Caribbean vacation since we first got together 9 years ago. When we found out that our company trip was at The Crane in Barbados we just about jumped through the roof with excitement. After months of waiting and tons of research we had finally arrived. We were greeted by a personal escort who immediately brought us to Bar 1887 for a complimentary "Rum Punch". This is the signature beverage for the island and Wow, it is AWESOME! Our escort gave us a guided tour of the resort on the way to our room and was very friendly and knowledgeable. The room was INCREDIBLE. Located on the rear side of the building, facing the Atlantic Ocean, the room was constantly permeated with an incredible ocean breeze! Just for fun, try opening the front door while having the back patio doors open and enjoy a level of breeze unlike any other!! A fully functional kitchen for those who want to cook in rather than eat out. A giant Jacuzzi tub that fit my wife and myself 6" 1', make sure you call ahead and ask guest services to send someone up for a complimentary romantic candle-lit Jacuzzi session. They will actually come up and fill the Jacuzzi and light a plethora of candles for the perfect tub relaxation. Waking up in the king size bed looking out to the Gorgeous Atlantic Ocean was the morning view my wife and I have dreamed about for years! Our dream was finally a reality!! If you're looking for great food, walk down to Zen, the Thai/Japanese Sushi house. The best food we had during the entire trip, and we ate a LOT! Other than servers standing WAY to close to your table when you eat, this was the best night of the trip! I ordered a Samurai, Philadelphia and Spicy Tuna Roll. (AMAZINGLY FRESH SUSHI!!!) My wife ordered a carved out pineapple stuffed with fried rice, filled with prongs, veggies, cashews with an incredible sauce! We will be back for this meal alone! I can't stress enough how delightful and friendly the people not ONLY at the resort but on the island are!!! I'd like to send out a special "Thanks" to Mel Harding, Guest Relations Manager at the Crane. You went above and beyond the scope of your duties and ensured that our trip was a truly memorable. Thank You. All in all this trip lived up to all the hype and we cannot wait to return to the beautiful Crane resort in Barbados!

Room Tip: Pay for a room that is on the ocean side. You're in the Caribbean, treasure it!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Dan J
Reviewed 25 July 2014

You won't be disappointed if you stay at The Crane, my partner and I spent 9 fabulous nights here in July 2014 and would return in a heartbeat.

Our room was spacious, well equipped and maintained brilliantly by the housekeeping team. The restaurants of which there are 4 on site had superb menus and were of a Saturday night out at home type standard. Even though there is a standard 10% service charge we still found ourselves tipping on top such was the quality of the food and service with a smile attitude.

We used the beach and the pool regularly and again they were great, there was never a time when a sunbed or a parasol was not available and there were staff on hand for drinks if needed. Generally we found the staff to be very friendly happy people especially the team on reception who are alli fabulous. Guest services is located next to the reception desk and if you enquire they can amongst other things direct you to the turtle nesting areas near the Crane beach and if they can't help directly information is only a phone call away.

We have one small tip to pass on regarding the busses to Bridgetown, if you want one to stop it requires a hand signal similar to an umpire giving a batsman out, a simple wave will encourage the driver to wave back and drive on ...

All in all we had a great time and we are sure you would too !

Stuart & Angie

Room Tip: Go for an Ocean view, you will be enchanted by the sound of the waves against the rocks and comforte...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Stuart G
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband, 10 month old daughter, and I stayed at the Crane for five days while in Barbados for a friend's wedding. The resort is nice, and our room was spacious. We booked a one bedroom in the park with a pool on the roof, which was terrific! Very private, and we were able to still sit outside while our daughter napped instead of being stuck in a hotel room. This hotel was probably in its heyday five or ten years ago. It doesn't feel particularly dated, though.

The staff was friendly and the food was good. We ate at the Italian restaurant on the property twice, at the pool bar once, and enjoyed a cooked breakfast twice - including the gospel brunch. The breakfasts weren't anything fancy - perfectly average. Room service was fine as well. There's a small shop on the property where you can buy food to prepare in your room, and the prices were okay, although some were a bit high (as you would expect in a resort). There's a regular grocery store a ten minute drive away, too.

The pools were terrific, and although they technically only give you one beach/pool towel at a time we were able to grab extras very easily. The beach was covered in seaweed every day and they had staff attempting to remove it each morning. The ocean is very rough on the east coast, though, so you have to be very careful.

I would like to return to Barbados but if we do I think we might stay in a different hotel on the west coast. The Crane was great for this trip - especially since the wedding we attended was 2 minutes away - but the west coast has more restaurants, bars, etc, whereas the Crane is a bit remote.

Room Tip: We found it cheaper to book a room with a pool instead of one with an ocean view, and we thought it...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank KGLondon
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Normally, if I'm unhappy with a hotel I simply let it go, but The Crane is so inaccurately represented on its website that I must make note. My air conditioning did not work, my toilet leaked and my 'garden view' was a view over what must be the construction site dumping grounds. The louvers on my shutters would not move so the minimal natural light that was coming in was all that I had. The food at the restaurants is average. It's the Caribbean, there should be fresh fish! The beach did look lovely, but the seaweed was so thickly piled up on the beach I would not go down there. This is a pity, it would take so little just to clean it up in the morning and offer guests a lovely place to spend the day. The only bright spot was that most of the staff were really very sweet.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank LynMacEachern
CraneBarbados, General Manager at The Crane Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear LynMacEachern,

We are sorry to learn of the inconveniences you experienced during your brief stay with us. We do wish however, that you had reported these issues earlier in your stay in order to give us a chance to salvage your experience while you were still with us.

With regards to Crane Beach, like many other beaches in Barbados we are once again experiencing unusually large deposits of sargassum sea weed. Our team has indeed been working tirelessly to minimise the impact on our guests by clearing the beach of the weed each morning.

The Junior Garden View Suite – our lead-in room category – faces inland and enjoys views of our lush landscaped internal gardens or of the country side depending on location within the resort. Also, fresh fish features heavily in many of our dishes in our restaurants and in L’Azure in particular.

Please note that your in-suite issues largely represent a departure from our standards and are in no way reflective of our guests’ typical experience. We hope to welcome you a back for a longer leisure trip to enjoy the true Crane experience.

Regards,

Sean Alleyne
Operations Manager (Ag.)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was our 2nd visit to The Crane. We honeymooned here & then returned for our 5-year anniversary. We're simple people, we love laying on the beach & Crane Beach is the best. I will say that this recent trip was the year of the "sea purging", which meant that large amounts of sea kelp was washing on shore every day. The hotel did everything they could to clean it, but it was impossible to completely rid the shoreline of sea weed. That was a bit of a bummer & I'd suggest calling ahead before you book, because when the beach is clean (our honeymoon) it's like heaven! Apparently the sea purges itself of the kelp every 3 years, so the next time would be around summer 2017?

We booked the 1-bedroom ocean-view suites w/ patio & plunge pool both times, which was absolutely awesome for us. The plunge pool sounds luxurious, but they tend to stay quite cold (not a heated jacuzzi), but having the kitchen/dining room was such a benefit to us because we both like to cook & lay low most of the week.

I think we will not return to Barbados, only because we hope to move on & see some new parts of the world, but The Crane seems to us to be the best of Barbados & we would definitely recommend it to the couple seeking a simple romantic get away in the West Indies / Carribbean area!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PatrickOntheGo
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife & I have traveled to many resorts and the Crane has been on our “Bucket List” for many years. Fortunately, the airfare dipped to a point we were able to fit it into our travel plans this year.

Barbados is a very expensive island for everything, so we planned ahead and packed a checked bag for some of our food and essentials (i.e. sunscreen, coffee, snacks, etc). Given the 300% markup and minimal item selections at the nearest grocery store (Emerald City Supermarket), plus the $20 round-trip taxi fare. The $25 for the checked bag was money well spent. If you have a large family and want to save $$$, I would suggest you bring as much as you can with you, or check additional bags with your essentials. A good item to purchase prior to your trip, is a collapsible Duffle bag (with wheels) as it can hold your items and be checked in on your departure flight, and collapse and be a carry-on for your return trip at no cost.

A hamburger at the Carriage House restaurant at the Crane cost us $17.50 US plus tip each. Cheese and French fries are available for an extra charge.

Upon our arrival we were greeted by 2 very nice ladies and the bellman who started us out right with a lovely rum punch. The rum punch was quite potent, but did not sway us to pay the $2/hour charge for Air Conditioning which they offer. The unit we were assigned was in a nice location in Building 2, with a beautiful Ocean Cliff View to the left, but unfortunately it overlooked the Kiddie Pool to the right. We were awakened several mornings with the sound of screeching kids which drowned out the beautiful sound of the Ocean waves.

The unit we had had a very 1BR with a very comfortable 4-poster mahogany bed and sofa sleeper in the adjoining room. There were 2 full bathrooms which is nice, but “BEWARE” the water flush is VERY LOW PRESSURE and you need to monitor your activity accordingly. Note - there are public restrooms by the pool areas, enough said.

The unit we had all the comforts of home (washer/dryer, full-size refrigerator, dishwasher, oven, stove, microwave, coffee pot). However, they did not provide paper towels and you need to either purchase them yourself or do without. We requested a pitcher upon arrival so we could keep drinks in the refrigerator. The tap water not only tasted fine but settled well.

Without A/C, we were fortunate enough to be on a higher unit facing the water which provided a nice breeze. However, there are no screens and you have a choice of open air, plantation shutters, or closing your doors entirely. As noted in earlier reviews, a mosquito net would be helpful at night as those buggers do feast at night. You will get bug bites at this resort. The resort does pesticide fogging twice per week and encourage you to keep your windows and doors open during this time so the units are treated as well. Unfortunately, we encountered a few dead “Palmetto Bugs / aka cockroaches” in our bedrooms after this treatment.

The mahogany furnishings, shutters and wooden flooring are lovely. However, given the heavy rains we experienced you may need to be careful of slippery wet floors due to the driving rain through the shutters. The

As for Crane Beach, we were disappointed and did not live up to the hype and our expectations. What we encountered was a “red flag” non-swim able beach with crashing waves, seaweed and many sand fleas. The sand was a very beautiful white quartz but was covered with ridges of dead seaweed.

There are several pools and you are accountable for the towel cards to the tune of $100 if they are not turned in upon your check-out, so DON’T LOSE THEM. The chaise lounges at all the pools except the adult pool had very nice “thick” cushions. The adult pool had no shade and there were no umbrellas at any of the pools. Given the proximity to the equator, you need shade and sunscreen.
The resort offers free “Wi-Fi” but we found the signal was often non-functioning and the only way to get online was to use one of the two (2) PC’s they have by the front-desk.

The staff were all “Very Nice” and could not have been better. There is daily maid service and if you are not an early riser and wish to sleep in you WILL NEED to request a “Do Not Disturb” sign to place in your front door.

Cab fare from the Airport to the Crane is around $17 US (per cab), and $18 US return to the Airport (per cab). The cabs were readily available curbside. If you decide to rent a car, remember they drive on the opposite side from where they drive in the US

Overall, the Crane Residential Resort is a Very Nice Resort. However, the beach is not swim able, covered with seaweed and sand fleas. The resort has extra charges (i.e. $2/hr for A/C, Paper Towels) and does not offer some key amenities (i.e. pool umbrellas) that are customarily provided by higher rated resorts.

Room Tip: We stayed in Unit # 231A in Building 2 (3rd floor, nice corner unit with Plunge pool overlooking kid...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank garyd01
CraneBarbados, General Manager at The Crane Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear garyd01,

We are pleased that you took the opportunity to cross The Crane off of your “Bucket List” as it sounds like you had an enjoyable time overall. However, allow me to shed more light on some areas of your experience.

Firstly, a 6oz burger with French fries or tossed salad at The Carriage House costs US $16.00 plus 10% Service Charge as is customary in Barbados. Note, any additional tipping is solely at the discretion of guests.

AC charges are NOT applicable to all guests. Instead, this charge ONLY affects our Shared Ownership Members who pay for this amenity on consumption as per their ownership agreement. As you secured your suite by trading through one of our external vacation exchange partners, you fell into this category. However, we trust that you, like many of our owners found that AC is largely unnecessary due to the cooling trade winds that constantly circulate our residences.

Unfortunately, Crane Beach like many other beaches in Barbados is once again experiencing unusually large deposits of sargassum sea weed. However, our team has been working tirelessly to minimise its impact on our guests, and clears the beach of the weed every morning. Also, Crane Beach is indeed swimmable and is actually the safest swimming venues on this side of the island with a natural encircling barrier reef that breaks the waves as well as a daily lifeguard presence.

With regards to the Towel Cards, we have instituted this policy as a control measure. Upon check-in, each guest receives one towel card which may be redeemed for one towel at our conveniently situated Towel Huts. After use, the guest can then return the towel to the Towel Hut or Front Desk and receive another Towel Card for future use. We have found this practice to be both environmentally and economically sound.

By our main pool complex we have constructed a number of large cabanas which provide adequate shade areas for those who require it. In addition, we certainly do have mosquito nets available on request and Wi-Fi is readily available throughout the resort – even on Crane Beach! Any unavailability of Wi-Fi was an isolated occurrence and should have been reported to Help Desk.

We hope that the above sheds some light on the aspects of your experience that may have caused uncertainty and hope to welcome you again soon.

Regards,

10 mi away
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
#23 of 50 in Christ Church Parish

Been to The Crane Resort? Share your experiences!