I have just returned from The Crane with my family and 3 other families of my relations. There has been a shift since my last visit 2 years ago, and the staff seem a lot friendlier. The Crane really seems to have raised their game, and although I have always enjoyed staying there, this time there were fewer niggles and it all seemed much more pleasant. (maybe the unexpected complimentary upgrade helped!). Keep an eye out for Mel-he is a star. We met him before and he was always very personable. Any small problem we mentioned to him was quickly dealt with. Not sure what his role is there, but he is a really nice guy, and The Crane are lucky to have him. The rooms, grounds, pools, room staff etc were all really nice, as usual. We ate in Donfereino's which was fine, not amazing value, but nice enough and convenient.
The beach was weedy, but nowhere near as bad as a couple of years ago, and again there were people clearing it away. I came back to the beach a week after checking out and it was thick with weed-we were just lucky I guess.
Small things: one of our party had issues with aircon, which were sorted quickly. I never use it and usually have a high floor, but they were on the ground with a baby. Also, the smaller lock off part of their room didn't have the bed settee we were expecting so we had to move the children around to get around that problem. Also there were plugs missing from the roof Jacuzzi, and a plastic 'cap' thing missing on the Jacuzzi bath. Neither was reported as a problem, and would have been fixed, but both should have been right. None of the above was a showstopper. We had a really good week.
As a healthcare professional, I would like to see first aid equipment available in the rooms and a defibrillator on the premises. Just my own thoughts, a relatively small investment for a business like The Crane, but similar to paying insurance I guess. I raised both points 5 years ago with owner, Paul Doyle and Michael Phillips, the then GM, but neither seems to have been implemented.
I have timeshare there, and I will be back in a couple of years, bringing different relatives with me. I hope the improvements and good things continue. It was an excellent week.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelbag, Holiday Gems, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish