“ok but would not return”

Tropical Winds Apartment Hotel
Trinidad
“ok but would not return”
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Sorry to sound negative but my main problem was the wifi that did not work and was a little expensive. I paid for an hour used 15 mins and lost the rest as I did not use it up in a time allotted(no one new how long that was). This happened 3 times. The over seas calls proved a problem you had to go to the lobby and let the receptionist make the call and then put it through to your room. After waiting 10 mins I returned the lobby and she said "sorry I got busy".The tv was not good no sound or 2 poor programmes. Staff very friendly but vague about general info. You need a car as it is out of the way. Basic and needs better management.

Room Tip: Try for a corner room they are larger. The balcony is ok for one person at a time.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TrellisTrinidad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed here for two weeks after my vacation stay at The Crane ended to look for investment property on the Island. My husband went home as planned so I having a clean safe place was imperative and this place fit the bill.
It's the little things that matter most sometimes!
The first hot and strong shower I had was at Tropical Winds. The room I had at the Crane had poor water pressure and was luke warm at best. This was a penthouse suite with roof deck and pool in a new building, what's the problem there? I also found the bed much more comfortable!
Very clean, good reasonably priced food, nice pool and great staff. Being alone (after my husband went home at vacations end) it was nice to have friendly helpful people to "come home" to!
My one and only problem was that the WIFI wasn't free and only worked while sitting in the lobby! Rather inconvenient and expensive due to my property search and communications home.
My only complaint, in a place where rum flows like water, I couldn't taste any in the two Pina
Colada's! I was about 3-5 minutes "late" for the 2 for 1 happy hour and paid full price so it was like getting 1 for 2, considering the amount of rum used in making the drinks. It was my first and last time I drank at the bar.
All that aside I would return to Tropical Winds without hesitation especially if they made the Wifi free and made sure it worked in the room, at the pool etc...

Room Tip: Location is key, if you want R&R peace and quiet, this is the place to be!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Kmw1211
Ajax, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2011

A little out of the way but, with car rental, able to tour around quite easily exploring nearby beaches and places of interest when didn't want to swim in the pool or relax on the patio. Staff were more than friendly, helpful, pleasant and appeared to enjoy their work of which they did a good job. Would definately return but maybe not in June as found weather too hot and humid.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank NasusY
Voiceunderground
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Remember, you came to Barbados for Barbados, not for the room. That said, for the price you can't do much better than Tropical Winds!

THE HOTEL
Don't worry, you won't be kept awake by planes flying overhead. Even though it's 10 minutes from the airport, the hotel is located in a very quiet, safe neighborhood. The drawback is that it's far from things but there is a bus stop just outside the gate where $2BDS will take you right into the action of Bridgetown, Oistins and the South Coast. The staff is awesome, always eager to hear about your experiences in Barbados thus far and offer local advice for booking tours etc.

THE ROOM
I stayed in a studio apt. which was quite comfortable and very clean. Although the hotel has satellite TV, many of the channels either don't work or have no sound but I didn't come to watch TV. Try to ask for a room overlooking the pool. All rooms have in-room safes and hot water is from solar panels. This means no sunlight=no hot water, be advised.

THE POOL
Perfect water temperature and no sand in your pants!

THE RESTAURANT AND BAR
Maybe I came at the wrong time of year, but this hotel and its restaurant seem equipped to handle ten times the traffic that it actually does. Every time I ate in the restaurant I was the only one, surrounded by about ten other fully set tables. The food is reasonably priced and very good, try the Bajan Breakfast platter! The bar was rather expensive, as hotel bars tend to be but they gave me a coupon for a free Rum Punch upon check in.

OVERALL
Next time I would stay closer to the beach, but Tropical Winds is a great base point for exploring Barbados!

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the pool!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Voiceunderground
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Tropical Winds is on the quieter south-eastern side, about 10 minutes drive from the airport. It’s within reasonable walking distance of some very nice beaches. Our experience was: It’s very clean, well appointed, our room was nice, and the staff are really nice and sincerely helpful. Nothing seemed too much trouble. The food was excellent and all was reasonably priced. Lovely pool with sunbeds around. Nice breeze all the time so didn’t have to use the aircon at all.
This place is away from the mad, traffic choked, crowded south west and west. If you want busy-busy, this isn't it! This is a small hotel.
There aren’t many other restaurants nearby so it’s preferable to have a small car to get about, but even with a car is probably very good value; we thought so.
There are good shops and ATM’s etc at Six Roads.Drives up the very beautiful east coast are easy from here, where there are many attractions and some good eating places at different levels of luxury and cost.
All in all, yes, it was good for us and we’d go again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ludomcgurk
Cheshire England
Reviewed 12 February 2011

Needing accommodation for the first two nights of our annual trip to Barbados and getting a good rate via an Expedia Group website (Lastminute UK) we chose Tropical Winds. We were not disappointed.

Having been to the island many times we knew it was 45 minutes out of Bridgetown (15 minutes from the airport) and there was nothing much within walking distance. With a rental car you are able to access the Crane resort with its three restaurants, Cutters Deli and Crane Palms Restaurant (see their own reviews) and a couple of other bars / rum shacks within a few minutes. These are also on the bus route into Bridgetown (“The City”) which is frequent in the day but hourly in the evenings (BDS2 flat fare). Taxis have to be booked by phone.

The hotel is situated within a right angled bend in the bus route but which is not a major road, very near to the entrance to Sam Lords Castle (itself now just a burned out shell after many years of dereliction after the closure of the former Marriot franchised hotel). There is one shack/ store on that road. The hotel is situated about 500 Metres inland of the coast and the tiny rocky cove called Sharks Hole is within easy walking distance, across the road and through the exclusive Long Bay Development. The much photographed bays and beaches at Harrismith and Bottom Bay are about 1 mile (out of the City). Bear in mind this is on the windy East of the island (hence the hotel name) and swimming on these unguarded beaches is not recommended. Crane Beach in the other direction is a safer bet, but even here only for strong swimmers.

The hotel has 16 studios, 6 one bedroom and 1 two bedroom suites, all provide basic kitchen facilities (microwave, two ring hob, fridge, toaster and coffee maker and a limited supply of pans, utensils, cutlery, and plates and mugs). All rooms have a seating area and flat screen TV with satellite channels. Wifi near reception or cable internet in the rooms is available at cost (BDS10 for 1 hour, cheaper for longer periods). Rooms were very clean and (for our second night at least) well provided with towels wash cloths and basic toiletries. We found the bed comfortable.

There is a reasonable size pool with plenty of loungers, chairs and tables. There is a bar and restaurant which serves a limited but adequate menu from breakfast through to about 9:30 p.m. (also available as room service).

Our main difficulty was that we had paid a modest amount extra for a one bedroom suite. When we arrived the receptionist/clerk on duty (8pm on a Sunday night) seemed a bit vague about our booking and made a number of whispered telephone calls on our arrival. We were eventually shown to our room which was a studio and not a one bedroom unit. Going straight back to reception there was another whispered telephone call and we were asked how much we had paid (of which I had printed a confirmation showing the selection of the upgrade – the voucher showing a one bedroom unit having already been passed over). We were only then shown to a one bedroom unit. We were told the information provided by Expedia to the hotel did not distinguish the room type booked, but the booking voucher clearly said a one bedroom suite. Apart from that occasion we found the staff very friendly and helpful.

The hotel seemed very quiet during our stay although this may have been deceptive as we aware of other guests even though our car was the only one in the car park. There was never more than one table occupied in the restaurant. This may be because some guests appeared to use the hotel for an overnight stop while waiting for flights, others however were staying for longer and exploring the island by bus.

I not sure I would want to spend my whole holiday in Barbados at Tropical Winds but certainly we found it ideal for a short stay and would certainly consider going back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ARegularVacationer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I had a really nice room with balcony overlooking the pool. My only complaint about the room was that there was no kettle, just a coffee maker and I am a tea drinker but that was a small thing really. The room was clean and spacious. The hotel is not situated in the heart of things but there is a very good bus service with a stop just outside. The food at the hotel was excellent although room service took a little longer than expected but they were probably very busy. I would recommend the cheese, ham and onion omlette with plaintain, delicious!

The staff were polite and friendly and one day I was rained in for the entire day didn't go anywhere and I loved it but that's just me I am a bit sad.

Finally, I would say that I have stayed in 5 star hotels in Barbados before which were only fractionally better than this 3 star.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
#27 of 51 in Christ Church Parish
Dover Beach Hotel
Dover Beach Hotel
#3 of 4 in Dover

Been to Tropical Winds Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!