“Insightfully Cuban Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vinales
Casa Lucilo y Nirma
Ranked #81 of 200 Vinales B&B and Inns
“Insightfully Cuban Experience”
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Although there was one negative review, I elected to disregard it, because it related to a scheduling problem and not the experience of actually staying in a casa. How delighted I am with my decision.

My recent stay - march 10 -12 was truly a unique experience and far exceeded my expectations. What led me to this conclusion and what can I say about Casa Lucio y Nirma? A great deal and all of it good.

The casa itself, within easy walking distance to downtown Vinales, was immaculate as was my room, which while a part of the house is separate affording the visitor much privacy. More especially the bath was clean. They both smelled fresh.

The owners - Lucio and Nirma - live at the casa with their two children, both college graduates. All four were welcoming and helpful without being overly attentive. A good example- when they realized that I didn't like to do the usual tourist things, they made a real effort to find things off the usual tourist paths. This led to a trip to a dental clinic (the daughter is a dentist) and a trip to a pineapple farm in an area at the end of the electric grid.

If you want to see how real Cubans live and you want to experience warm Cuban hospitality, I recommend this casa without reservations.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Yunior, Yulia & Nana all made me very welcome at the Casa in their parents absence. I was met at the bus station and taken to the lovely stand alone big room set in the beautiful garden. Hummingbirds were seen in the afternoon which for a European were at treat.Breakfasts were excellent with lots of fab fresh fruit and the three evening meals I had were better than anything you would find in town, especially;y a great big lobster that landed on my plate! Yunior also gladly helped arrange my excursions & onward travel Do give this casa a visit, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Neil W
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2013

In November 2012 my husband and I cycled around West Cuba. we stayed in numerous hotels but our favourite and most memorable stay was with Junior and his family. For me, when we arrived in Vinales and met Junior at the church, I felt as though I had arrived in Cuba. Junior, his father Lucilo and mum Nirma couldn't do enough for us. We felt like part of the family. The accommodation was spotlessly clean and comfortable. Nirma cooked the most wonderful food for us and Junior couldn't have been more entertaining, we constantly asked questions eager to learn more about the Cuban way of life and Junior took us out on both evenings to a fantastic music venue where we drank mojitos and danced the night away. Junior introduced us to his amazing friends and the following day we relaxed in the square drinking coffee and soaking up the atmosphere. This was my favourite place by far, it was how I had imagined Cuba to be. Junior and hs family were the icing on the cake. We would not even consider staying anywhere else in Vinales. When we return we will be with Lucilo Y Nirma. Thank you all for making it such a memorable trip. Simon and Sue Smith. Newcastle Upon Tyne. UK

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rebeccaJesmond
Wooler, Ontario
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We really enjoyed our four-night stay with Lucilo, Nirma and family. Their location is great, a couple of short blocks off the noisy, bustling main street, but less than a ten-minute walk to the central square. Our room, in its own separate "bungalow" adjoining the patio behind the house, was fine, with two double beds and beautiful floor tiles. The en-suite bath was also nicely tiled. The food was excellent. Breakfasts were varied, ample and delicious. Based on the first night's dinner, we elected to "eat in" for two of our other three nights, and were not disappointed -- pork, chicken and seafood, all really well prepared by Nirma. We were able to find wine for sale at the cafe beside the village square, and beer at the gas station just around the corner, and we kept it all in the patio fridge.
So, surroundings and food just fine, but the real bonus was the interaction with the family, who were all extremely pleasant and helpful. They arranged a car and driver for excursions to Cayo Jutia (best beach ever) and the Santo Tomaso cave, as well as a guided walking tour among the fields and mogotes near the town. We also enjoyed the chance to have several good talks with Yunior about the realities of life in present-day Cuba.
Make no mistake, this is not a slick all-inclusive resort. It's a real home with friendly, warm hosts who made every effort to make our stay as good as it could be. They succeeded, and we'd love to go back.

Room Tip: The "bungalow" building offers very welcome privacy, and can be accessed from the road wit...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FredandAnna
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

Arriving early, Yunior was most accommodating in offering breakfast and to arrange tours. Nana was quick to the espresso and a warm thermos of milk.
The meals were tasty and the company supreme.
Next trip I will indeed try to stay here for
a longer period

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank h0lasun
Southampton
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We only stayed for one night but we were so glad we did, it was one of the best nights/days we had in Cuba.

Lucilo met us from the Viazul bus with a sign so we managed to find him easily in the crowd of casa owners that greet you of the bus in the hope that you haven't got a room booked. He walked us to the casa that was only about 5 mins walk away.

They are such an amazing family, very friendly and we felt like one of the family being there. The atmosphere in this casa was one of the best in Cuba. We ate lunch, dinner, breakfast and then had a sandwich before we left the following day and it was some of the best food I had in Cuba. Being vegetarian the food choices for me were normally fairly limited but they even managed to get some soya for me and cook an amazing meal, as well as the best omelette I think I've ever had. Nirma is a great cook.

We arranged for their daughter to take us out on a walk through the tobacco fields, swim in an underground cave and a visit to a tobacco farmer for a cigar and rum and sugar cane drink. It was really nice to chat to her whilst walking along. This was on the morning of my boyfriend's 30th birthday so made it pretty memorable! They were even going to bake a cake for him but they thought we were staying for 2 nights rather than one so we missed out on the cake as had to catch the Viazul bus back to Havana.

One word of warning - Vinales is a small town and there aren't any cash machines and the bank doesn't open at the weekend so make sure you take enough cash with you. We only just managed to get enough together to pay for our stay!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sheeparecool
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

This must be one of the best casas in Cuba. When you arrive in Vinales, there will be LOTS of people approaching your car wanting to take you to their casa or a casa where they're on commision - DON'T GO ANYWHERE WITH THEM. Book Lucilo y Nirma instead and go straight there - they are one of the nicest couples you will ever meet. Everything you would expect from a good casa is there - comfortable, cool room, nice bathroom, peaceful outdoor terrace, top cuisine - with the added bonus of multi language speaking hosts and the most charming of locations down a country lane which suits the rural atmosphere of Vinales (yet only round the corner from the centre of the village). Also, the price is well below average for Cuban casas so it's an absolute bargain - I actually think they under price temselves!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple