“Amazing view!!!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Vinales
US
“Amazing view!!!!!!”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

You cannot beat the view you have at this hotel. It is simply amazing. The hotel is a 3 stars hotel (it is definitely not a B&B as listed in Trip Advisor...) but unless you are looking for luxury you won't be disappointed. The rooms are basic but very clean, especially the bathrooms. The view from the balcony, the best! The only negative point is the food at the restaurant (a buffet); it is not really good, but who cares when you have such a view.... Overall enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank JoeDassin1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
West Midlands
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This is fine for a one night stay, with many rooms overlooking the valley. The balconies are a boon and with the ubiquitous rocking chairs the location is very welome.

Rooms are basic but comfortable and clean.

Food is very so-so but edible. Not a bad idea to bring a spicy sauce (we had peri peri) to enhance the bland tastes.

Room Tip: If you're with a guide make sure he/she books you in as early as possible. They'll know the...
1 Thank artyone1
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The view from the balconies of this hotel are totally amazing, you would be hard pushed to find a view anywhere in the world that could rival it. Watching the sun coming up and listening to the birds singing was blissful. Even the rain was magical to behold as we watched the cloud come in.

The rooms are a little basic but all linen was clean. This hotel is in a rural part of Cuba (hence the view) and goods are not as plentiful there as in other parts of the world. Go with this and remember where you are rather than complain about limited food and phones.

It has to be said that the food is simple but there was plenty of it and all was fresh and nicely presented. Freshly cooked omelettes are available at breakfast as well as other hot and cold items. Again, remember what foodstuffs are available to the locals.

The barman knocks up a great cocktail, the pina coladas and mojitos especially so. Also generous Cuba Libres.

Frogs are not the only animals that wander the garden. Look for the lizards, friendly dogs, cats and a family of chickens. I am sure the wildlife was here long before the hotel.

There is a pool, which although is small, it does the job. There are also some craft stalls adjacent to the hotel at the lookout point.

Is this the best hotel I have ever stayed in, well probably not. If you are looking for 5* luxury head for Veradero and the all-inclusive hotels. If you want to experience a fantastic view in a simple and quiet hotel you could honestly do a lot worse.

3 Thank Greymalkin_10
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Oh, where do I begin...the views from the balcony of my room: PRICELESS. The view from the balcony overlooking the hotel's pool area and Vinales valley has to be one of the most beautiful my eyes have seen in my lifetime. It really looked like a movie set... I recommend waking up early to watch the morning fog clear as the sun rises. BEAUTIFUL.

Okay, now, the not-so-pretty part: the room. I assume the room would be the equivalent of a two-star hotel room in America. The door to my balcony did not fully close--thank God, there were heavy drapes in front of the door I could pull to avoid mosquitoes from being attracted to my room's lights and tearing me up in the evening.

The room did have air conditioning. A big plus. And a small refrigerator. Another plus. There is even a safety deposit box in the closet, but I didn't use that. There was a full-length mirror on one wall, a small old-school color television on the desk and a NON-WORKING phone on one nightstand. The TV broadcasts local channels as well as a couple of US movie channels like Showtime/ HBO. CNN was also available, I believe.

Now let me tell you about the bedding. The first thing I check upon arrival to any hotel is the bedding. I inspected the bedspread and found it to be dingy and stained (see photos). The bedskirt also had stain marks and was dirty-looking. The bedsheets actually looked clean and appeared to be freshly changed. What I didn't realize until that first night when I laid my head down on the pillow, was that the pillow was smelly. Very smelly. I pulled off the pillowcase and discovered a pillow covered in black mildew. Of course, that thing was thrown down on the floor until the next day as I couldn't call the front desk since my phone didn't work.

(The next day, I complained about the pillow and a newer, cleaner one was brought to my room. I also complained about the phone, but it was never fixed during my stay.)

The bathroom: Fairly clean-looking, but upon a closer inspection, the shower curtain was also smelly and there was some mildew in the grout. A little Clorox would do the bathroom well. I kept my flip-flops on in the shower. Just saying.

The hotel's food -- My, my, my! My Mom always used to say if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, but I feel compelled to warn you: Honestly, it was some of the worst food I've ever had. You know that friend of yours that can't cook? Well, this food tasted like they were running the cocina.

I had breakfast and dinner at the hotel. Four meals in all. The best things I ate/drank were the fresh fruit and canned sodas. Dinner rolls were very hard. Breakfast pancakes were gummy. The dessert pastries and cakes were unbelievably bad; very dry, not sweet and they just tasted strange (That's chocolate? Really?). Some of the main dishes were edible, like the ropa vieja and rice, but were just that "edible, not great."

Important note: the dining room is surrounded by large windows with no screens that are kept WIDE OPEN, day and night. Therefore, especially at night, the place is swarming with mosquitoes. I found it very uncomfortable to eat in the dining room because of this. Even though I would cover myself in deet insect-repellent, I was still terrorized and bitten by the little flying vampires.

The hotel staff were very nice. I have no complaints about the staff. The housekeepers even leave pretty towel "animal sculptures" on your bed to greet you upon your arrival.

To sum it up: Location is great, staff is nice. The food is just bad and the rooms need to be renovated. New mattresses, bedding, drapes and furniture would be nice. Giving the bathrooms a very THOROUGH cleaning and disinfecting would be a good idea.

If you don't plan to spend a lot of time in your room or eat onsite and just plan to spend most of the day in the common areas and pool and/or exploring the town and countryside, this hotel is great for THE LOCATION. Enjoy the experience of Vinales, enjoy the outdoors, enjoy meeting the locals, but don't expect too much from the Los Jazmines hotel.

If I ever return to the area, I would rather stay at a private home (casa).

Room Tip: If you DO stay here, make sure you get one of the room's with a balcony that overlook the pool a...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CleverSophisticate
United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The view from this hotel is fantastic and the hotel itself is also quite pretty and has character as well as a lively but pleasant atmosphere. The drinks in the bar are great and I can particularly recommend the Pina Colada. Compared to other 3 star hotels in Cuba the breakfast is pretty good and overall standards are in line with what can be expected for the price.

We initially had a room in the main building overlooking the pool and asked to move (for a fee) to one of the newer bungalows (junior suites), which all have an uninterrupted view of the valley. Big mistake! We were attacked by a frog that repeatedly jumped onto the bed at night and finally asked to move again when it decided to jump onto our faces as we were about to go to sleep. We moved to one of the neighbouring rooms and found 3 more (less aggressive) frogs.

Overall, I still enjoyed staying here, but for the best view and less likelihood of encountering the local wildlife ask to stay in the block on the right hand side of the main building.

Room Tip: For the best views and less likelihood of encountering the local wildlife ask to stay in the block o...
1 Thank Wolvesblue2
manchester
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I absolutely adored this hotel from the stunning view to the Cuban vibe, I really felt I was in Cuba and not just a chain hotel which could have been anywhere, please keep it just as it is and put a heritage order on it so it cannot be altered.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Torpoint, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights during our tour of Cuba, the hotel is a lovely old colonial building painted pink sitting above the Vinales Valley and boy what a view it has! our room was in a seperate block just across from the main hotel and our balcony had uninterupted views across the whole Valley.it was stunning! The room was perfectly adequate with everything working.Back in the main hotel the bar was very cheap and the cocktails very nice,the bar also serves snacks if your not bothered about using the first floor restaurant, but the joy is to get your cocktail and step outside onto the terrace and watch a stunning sunset.
Breakfast was a limited buffet but again the view while your eating will compensate.This is as good as it gets in the Cuban countryside so I would be happy to recommend it, there is also a handy shop selling rum,wine,soft drinks and snacks as well as various souvenirs, we purchased a bottle of rum,some cokes and crisps and sat on our balcony until the sun dissapeared happily making our own cuba libres and enjoying our nibbles.

Room Tip: Get a room in one of the seperate blocks if you can, the view is better and I was told that the room...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KevinT333
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vinales
Iberostar Parque Central
NH Capri La Habana
#4 of 79 in Havana
Hotel Mercure Sevilla Havane
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Los Jazmines? Share your experiences!