“We Found Paradise”

Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marigot
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I can hardly even begin to express how much I loved Pagua Bay House. My husband had been dreaming of visiting the remote island for Dominica for many years. This was a dream destination that required a dream hotel. With so many stellar reviews of hotels throughout Dominica, we decided on Pagua Bay House because of its privacy and modern style. We are so glad we did.

We arrived on a Liat flight and instantly greeted by Al, the hotel driver. After we checked into our room, we were driven back up the hill to eat dinner at the hotel restaurant. What a treat for us! We loved the menu. Everything was fresh and delicious. We especially loved the callaloo soup, fish tacos, mahi mahi, and shrimp fritters. The mixed drinks were also wonderful. The service was great and the view couldn't be beat. We ended up eating all our dinners at the restaurant because no one wants to drive around in search of food after a long day on the curvy roads of Dominica. Trust me. You'll want a break from those roads.

The room itself was fantastic. I couldn't get over the intricate wood work of the interior. The rest of the decor is appropriately simple to enhance the lovely paneling. The woods floors are some of the most beautiful I've seen. The bed and linens provided one of the most comfortable sleeping experiences I've had at a hotel. The only thing that topped the bed was listening to the ocean and the rain beating on the tin roof at night. Heaven. The bathroom was also excellent. The enormous shower was so welcoming after a long day. We were also impressed with how thoroughly the room was cleaned every day of our stay.

Rick and Alicia really know how to make their guests feel welcome. Alicia was wonderful about providing tons of information and helping us plan our days. We enjoyed planning our days while we ate breakfast. I am not much of a breakfast person but the breakfast burrito was incredible. Alicia is such a kind person. I love how she takes an interest in helping with animal rescue on the island. This couple clearly loves Dominica and it shows. They want you to get the best experience in their adopted home.

Even though they are in the process of adding on to the hotel, the construction was not a problem. We were thoroughly warned by Alicia and told we could leave on arrival if we were uncomfortable with it.

I should also note that all the staff members at Pagua Bay was wonderful. They all went above and beyond in making us feel welcome.

We can't wait to return when the renovations are complete. I can't imagine how beautiful it will be when the new pool and restaurant are finished. Dominica is one of the most unique and special countries I've visited. Pagua Bay is a special hotel on a special island.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jechath

Reviewed 25 June 2012

There is a lot to say about this stay, but it would all be different versions of Alicia and Rick helped us with x when we wanted to do y.
Everything about their hotel is amazing. They are the friendliest, most helpful hosts we encountered in our entire year in the Caribbean (we lived in the dominican republic for a year and travelled around the Caribbean). And the rooms are amazing, complete with incredible beds and ocean waves that lull you to sleep. It is just a perfect quiet secluded magical getaway.

Thank you Rick and Alicia! we will be back one day. And we cannot wait.

Room Tip: They are all wonderful
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OsloAK_travellers
Reviewed 16 June 2012

My friend and I shared a room for 3 nights in May and we absolutely loved Pagua Bay House. So much so, that we're planning our return! The location, tasteful and contemporary decor, and the reasonable rates are certainly enough to warrant an excellent review, but what really sets this property apart is the superb, personalized and friendly service from the owners, Alicia and Rick (not to mention other staff members, who are also friendly and helpful). They are knowledgable and gracious hosts, and will take the time to recommend and organize activities all over the island and to do what they can to make sure you are enjoying your stay. They will also contact you before your arrival to confirm your itinerary, which demonstrates their organizational skills and commitment to customer service, something one should never take for granted in the Caribbean. Airport transfers and transportation to different activities was punctual and a breeze and all organized by the hosts.

Pagua Bay House is the only property facing gorgeous Pagua Bay, a mostly rocky sweep of waterfront with a small black sand beach to the right of the property as you exit, about a 2-minute walk away. The sound of the waves crashing against the rocks was incredibly relaxing and peaceful. We stayed there while the property was undergoing construction, but were not bothered by it, and we're actually eager to return once the new pool and restaurant are finished, which look like they'll be amazing from what we saw.

The rooms were very comfortable, tastefully appointed with a heavenly bed, high-quality linens, and a very spacious bathroom. The polished hardwood floors are beautiful and add a lot of character and warmth to the rooms, as do the stylish details like polished concrete countertops and industrial siding. Although we were out and about hiking and swimming everyday, one could easily relax in the comfort of the room as well. Our cabana had a big outdoor hammock, Adirondack chairs and a porch perfect for doing morning yoga while watching the sunrise and listening to the sound of the waves.

The current restaurant, about a 20-minute uphill walk from the cabanas (but they will pick you up and drop you off for free), has a stunning view over Pagua Bay, and one could sit for hours reading a book, having coffee (which is really good, another rarity in the Caribbean) or enjoying a bottle of wine. The food is outstanding, especially breakfast, and my friend and I ate most of our meals there.

There are many sights in Dominica within a 45-minute drive of the property that could easily fill up a long weekend, especially those on the east coast. However, we did venture out farther afield to Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls, and Middleham Falls, all of which are highly recommended. While reaching some of sights in the south of the island can take 90 minutes or more, the drives are so relaxing, traffic-free, and scenic, that the time didn't bother us. Put on some good music and take in the views!

In sum, this is one of the best vacations in the Caribbean I've had, due in no small part to our fantastic hosts Alicia and Rick, driver Al, and the comfortable and stylish oceanfront cabanas. Stay at Pagua Bay and you will leave Dominica refreshed and rejuvenated!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Xberliner
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I just returned from our second week-long visit to Dominica. We had eaten at the Pagua Bay Restaurant once during our previous trip and thought we would stay at the Pagua Bay House our first and last nights on the island because of its location near the airport. The rooms, staff, and owners were so terrific we ended up staying 5 of 7 nights at Pagua Bay.

The room was top-notch. We had booked Cabana 3, but because it was the off season and nobody was using it, the owners upgraded us to the slightly larger Cabana 1. We were surprised to find such a nice room, A/C, and cable on Dominica. We were also surprised how much we liked it. The restaurant, of course, was excellent. We particularly liked the outdoor patio with a breath-taking view over Pagua Bay itself and the fish tacos.

What really set Pagua Bay apart, what really made the experience for us were the owners, Rick and Alicia Davison. We truly felt like their guests, not their customers. They seemed genuinely happy we were there rather than happy for our business. They chatted with us at meals; they made phone calls to other hotels and tour operators; they made suggestions for activities and other restaurants; and they made us feel at home. My wife and I travel quite a bit, and in all of our travels we have never felt more welcome. We will certainly be back to Pagua Bay... again.

3  Thank awalkernh
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Amazing!.what can I say!..my husband and I stayed at Pagua Bay House for 5 wonderful nights at the beginning of April. We have travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean over the past 4 years and I have to say: hands down...the most comfortable beds ever...anywhere in the Caribbean!! Not only are the beds an amazing luxury at the end of a busy day spent hiking and driving all over this wonderful unspoiled island, but I simple can not say enough about Alicia and Rick's hospitality. Our most memorable and best trip to the Caribbean yet and our two hosts made that happen for us.
In the mornings we would drive up to their restaurant (soon to be located on the same grounds as the stylish cabanas) enjoy an amazing breakfast: local fruits...wonderful coffee!...the best eggs/bacon/skillet around if you ask my husband... homemade bagels (so yummy!).... put the island map on the table and Alicia and Rick would be there to give us all sorts of advice about where to drive to, what to see, how long to expect to drive, what roads where better than others etc...... and most importantly where to eat along our travels... : ) ( even going as far as phoning ahead to other restaurants for us to make sure they were open).... they then would pack us an ice cooler full of local bevies and water and wished us a wonderful day! Fantastic!!..
The cabanas...wow...pictures of them online do not do them justice...we stayed for one night in Cabana #3...gorgeous...cozy...cavernous shower...shutters... so you can feel the breezes of the Atlantic and listen to the waves crashing, and lulling you to sleep at night. Cape Cod feel in Dominica??...is that possible??....I loved it....we sat on our porch and watched the ocean waves...we had the best sleep you could imagine......and then:....Cabana #4....this is to be experienced!!
Larger layout...spacious.... same clean lines...luxurious dark high gloss floors....same comfortable feather top bed....gorgeous!!....concrete counter tops... shutters to feel the fresh breeze and hear the pounding surf (you won't need to put on the air conditioner)....bathroom fit for a king and queen...huge..unbelievable closet space gals!...the shower was enormous!...I floated around our private little chunk of island living like we had discovered a rare gem, and then discovered the bar fridge!...cracked open a great mini bottle of wine, poured it in a glass and joined my husband on the hammock in the front yard of the cabana! Heaven!
I can not imagine a better place to stay whilst exploring the island...honestly...we would not have experienced half of what we did had it not been for Alicia and Rick's knowledge and own personal experiences of Dominica. You know those tourist pics of loan hikers experiencing incredible displays of nature and wonder???...where no one else is around??...well..we got to experience that because we stayed with Rick and Alicia and they knew which direction to point us in. Waterfalls...rain forest hiking...little off the beaten track (to die for!) restaurants...beaches...yes thank you!
There is no denying that the 4, (soon to be 6) sublimely stylish and extremely well executed cabanas are private, cozy island get aways which will enhance your vacation experience...but in all honesty, and with sincere warmth....it's the hosts, Rick and Alicia who will make your stay a most memorable one.
We simply can not wait to go back and visit....

Room Tip: Cabana #4 is the biggest and most private as of April 2012....Cabana #3 has an awesome view of the o...
3  Thank PipCheedwell
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Recently my boyfriend and I came for a long weekend to PBBC and we left with great memories, a perfectly aligned back and neck and amazing pictures from one of the most beautiful islands and hotel we have ever visited. Dont be put off by the construction that is currently taking place on this property as you would still have the most amazing time here. Im sure the place will look even better once construction is finished, The grounds are beautiful and there is a great view of the Atlantic Ocean...especially from their restaurant just up the road from the hotel.

The cabanas are rustic chic and have a decidedly modern/functional feel to them that can be lacking in quintessential Caribbean kitch hotels. They are well constructed and beautifully appointed with quality furnishings and building materials. Im a stickler for beds, towels and linens and Rick and Alicia hit a home run in that department as well. The bed is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in (including my own which I used to think was pretty comfy :(...you spoilt it for me...;)

Rick and Alicia are also one of the more interesting and genuine people I have met, they make you immediately feel comfortable around them.Their service was also pretty amazing as they really helped us navigate the island and even arranged a tour for us to the boiling lake. Testament to their general good nature is that they seem to be well liked by their neighbours and the neighbourhood children seem to gravitate to them...everyone knows them!!!

I will definitely stay here again and Ill highly recommend to anyone who is visiting Dominica!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful
3  Thank KhafW
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed here with our children in cabanas 1 & 2 which are ideal for families or friends if you want to have your own little area . With regard to Rick & Alicia what can you say but great hosts who could not be more helpful & kind . They were full of useful information & seemed to know everyone on the island. The refurbishment work being carried out at the time did not effect us in the slightest & I am sure when it is finished it will look great .The location is great & you can get to south & the north of the island with ease , so if you you are coming to Dominica it is the place to stay !! If you are worried about food the restaurant is great I am sure you will not be disappointed Happy holiday

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Simplicity4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marigot
Secret Bay
Calibishie Lodges
Calibishie Lodges
#3 of 3 in Calibishie
Castle Comfort Dive Lodge

Been to Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas? Share your experiences!