“The Caribbean Idyll”

La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar
Bristol, United Kingdom
“The Caribbean Idyll”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This really is the most amazing and beautiful place to stay ! You can book for just one night if you want to after an amazing dinner to wake up on the most fabulous deserted palm lined beach. The staff are so helpful and genuine, as others have said it is truly a very special place and we would not hesitate to return.The manor house would have to be my first choice. MY only comment would be that is rather a long way from a village so you are a bit isolated, a taxi to Grande Anse takes about 30mins. but if you like a real getaway this has to be perfect.

Room Tip: Ring them up if you have requirements
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Renee194

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We just arrived home from our third visit to La Sagesse. Yes, third. Now that just says "this is someplace special". The rooms are charmingly quaint. The history, interesting, the nature trails an added bonus, the flowers and landscaping incredible and the food is very well prepared. The owners and staff are exceptional in their friendliness. They truly go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. How fun it is to walk a few feet to a beautiful, private beach and enjoy a swim at sunset.

Room Tip: The left front room in the main house (facing) is exceptionally large and comfy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trenet54
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 May 2014

When I got home I was very disappointed. I had thought my wife & I were someone special,that we were treated in a special way by the owners & staff of the La Sagesse hotel. We certainly felt special while we were there. Unconditional friendly service, all the staff on first name basis, meet their families, our every desire taken care of. We were part of the family. Hugs & handshakes when we departed, even the resident driver who had thrilled us with tours was part of the collective. The disappointment, when I got home & read reviews I realized, we were not any more special than all the other guests. Just imagine, a place to stay that they can make every one of their guests feel special, like family. The food was great, the drinks were fantastic, get John to mix you a rum cocktail, it's a short stagger back to your room where you lay in bed, under the fan listening to the ocean to put you to sleep. I tried to think of something that was not great & the worst thing I can come up with after a two week stay, the very worst thing, they put the toilet roll on backwards, that's it. I will recommend it to anyone & everyone. It is like going back in time a few decades, no stress, no fuss. Go try, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: I counted 17 steps to be on the beach, All the rooms are that close. If you want glitz & glamor...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thebare
Oakland, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I had a wonderful three nights at La Sagesse during the second half of my Grenada solo vacation. From the moment I arrived and was welcomed by name, I felt at home. The staff are very friendly, professional, and courteous. I stayed in Julie's Room which was very comfortable, though I should have brought insect repellent because I was eaten alive by bugs, especially at night. I also couldn't get on the Internet in my room, which was kind of a bummer. But the setting is beautiful: the gardens are stunning, and the beach is scenic. Just walking around the curved bay is a treat. The location is great: it feels very secluded, but it's just a 10-minute walk to catch the minibus into St. George's. The restaurant was quite good; I appreciate the staff accommodating my vegetarian needs. This is quite a romantic place, and I can see why people come here to honeymoon. But I also had a wonderful time as a solo traveller, and I think it would appeal to families as well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed almost two weeks here and would say this was the most extraordinary place. Exquisitely beautiful beach, bound by coconut palms, mangroves, a little river running out to sea, lush forest, barely any other habitation as far as you can see... A true hidden paradise. The warm clear water of the bay is shallow enough not to worry about children swimming and playing, very protected, and yet little waves in the central part of the beach fun enough for first timers' body surfing and boogie boarding. The first night we arrived our daughter said it was like being at home, not a hotel... And by the end both kids were ready to move in... The most hospitable and generous hosts we have ever known. Beautiful airy rooms ('like a little house'), perfect for a family with a mezzanine for parents and beds for kids downstairs. Thoughtful, helpful, friendly service in every way. Delicious lobster and fish in the restaurant. A pretty walk up the track to the coast road from which it's easy to explore Grenada by bus or car. It would be impossible to recommend this place more as a stylish, charming, utterly replenishing hotel, where we made wonderful friends and returned home transformed.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank user111
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Saying goodbye to La Sagesse was the only sad moment for my wife and I after a magical experience there. We had the solitude when we wanted it, the incredible ocean water and gentle body surfing as a constant, the beach to walk and lounge on, and the view that never stopped pleasing. Other than the one day we drove up the west coast to tour Belmont Estates, we chose to indulge in La Sagesse's restaurant which is just feet from the beach - in fact we sometimes took our food and pina coloda out to our lounge chairs! The owners and staff felt like family after very little time. Thank you Mike, Lynn, Rachelle, Samantha, Jefferson, Wendy, Carol and everyone for one of our best travel experiences! - Charles & Sharon

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Berkhamsted, UK
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights. The beach is lovely and the gardens delightful. We had a room in the main house which was roomy and well-equipped. But probably the highlight for us was the charming, friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble. We spent our last night eating with Mike and Lynn and several other guests who'd been coming for years - it was easy to join in and be part of the group. We loved John's rum punch (trying hard to reproduce that at home, but it's just not the same!). We loved Sammy's beaming smile (but she was one of many who greeted us every day). So thanks to everyone who made our stay such a pleasure.

Room Tip: Our room in the main pink house was great.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint David Parish
Petite Anse Hotel Grenada
Petite Anse Hotel Grenada
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel &...
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
Maca Bana
Maca Bana
#1 of 8 in St. George's
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
#3 of 11 in Grand Anse

Been to La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar? Share your experiences!