“An unfortunate experience”

Pleasantview Motel & RV
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Summerland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

For the money we found way better in Penticton. The owner was ok but refused to refund monies after we noticed a bad ant infestation and the fridge smelled so bad from being filthy & we ended up scrubbing it out. I`m cool with bugs but when they are crawling up your legs in the room something is wrong!!lolol We didn't sleep in the sheets as everything was soooo dirty ;< The pool was closed. I don`t want to continue with the bad.lol We left and found way better in Penticton for the same price!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UUUUGGGHHH...what a mistake.

Room Tip: Just don`t and say you didn`t!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank sunflowerbc

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Oh goodness - reading the other reviews I feel like I went to a different place! We booked our room here based on the much higher reviews on Booking.com. My boyfriend and I had a great time - probably good we didn't check reviews here first, otherwise we would've stayed far away. I wonder why there's such a discrepancy (maybe new owners/management?). Anyway I thought I should add my thoughts here to balance it out.

We stayed here for a few nights with an overall good experience. Since the motel sits elevated on a hill right next to an orchard with views of the lake, we got to enjoy a really nice (pleasant!:-)) view from our room (see the pictures I uploaded). On our second night we saw 5 cute deer wandering around the orchard next door too! That got me really excited haha. This place is also located across from an IGA, RBC, and some food places (see my Pho Vietnamese Restaurant review), which was convenient. We were concerned with the noise from the highway, but it was not as loud as we thought during the day, and at night it is empty so it was easy to drift away to sleep. Lost a star in the rating because the light bulb in the second bedroom wasn't working when we got there - kind of annoying. To be fair though, the manager was attentive when I notified him and fixed the problem right away. Anyway, this is an overall decent place given the price. Would recommend if you're okay with motels in general.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 have a view of the lake and orchard, and picnic tables right in front of them. Not sur...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SGL112
Reviewed 20 October 2013

OMG I don't even know where to begin. I stayed there last month while attending classes, that was one month too long. To begin with, the bathrooms don't have a properly tinted window -which you wouldn't know because you can't see through them during the day- so when I had a shower in the evening, a woman next door informed me afterwards that everyone can see through the windows easily when the light is on in the bathroom, and that the owner had walked past my window several times, creepy!!! I bought a curtain the next day.
The bed was hard as a rock, I had to buy a foamy for it. Rooms are old, never been renovated, and the owner wanted me to supply my own towels, bed linens, blankets, pillows and dishes!
One evening while watching TV I heard scratching sounds inside the stove. Lo and behold, a little mouse poked its' head through one burner hole, then another!!! The next evening it ran over my feet while I was having supper. A few nights I listened to it munching on my dog food. When I told the owner to do something about it, he put a RAT TRAP behind the stove! It never made a difference.
Then there was the swat team doing a drug bust; I was ordered to go inside while the cops surrounded one building with their guns drawn. But I think what takes the cake is the week when the owner was away and he had appointed one of the long-term-trailer-trash-residents to take care of the business. That's when the mentally unstable woman next door had a melt-down, threatening to kill herself. I asked this substitute manager, who was drunk as a skunk, to get me another room away from the crazy lady. She did, but I had to give her $10 for an 'upgrade' fee. Before I was able to pack and move, the owner came back and told me it would cost $10 a DAY extra, not a month. I didn't get to move, neither did I ever get my $10 back, the drunk denied ever receiving it from me.
So the moral of this story: If you want to feel like you are part of a bad reality show, then this place is for you. But if you want a pleasant vacation, the only thing pleasant the Pleasantview Motel offers is the view.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Kristiina A
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My husband and I had booked this motel for our Wed Anniversary. When we got there I asked the owner if we could see the room first before we pay. He told me No you pay first then you can see the room. I couldn't believe it. When we went to check out the room after we paid. My husband and I were not impressed. The bed was rock hard the blankets were very poor quality. Pillows were flat as a pancake.
Bathroom had toilet and shower no sink. The sink was in the kitchen next to the stove..
We could not stay another night. Next morning we went to cancel and the owner was rude and disrespectful. He charged us for 1 night that we were not there..He said it is policy..We were not aware of this policy..Owner then raised his voice and told my husband that the policy is on the website. My husband asked to see this policy and he again told him that its on the website..
Honestly do yourself a favor, Avoid this Motel its a total rip off

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marcy B
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I have visited Summerland over the past 10 years and have stayed at Pleasantview during my time there. I have noticed a rapid decline in the quality of service, cleanlyness, and hospitallity espescially over the paST 3 years. The place has turned into a rather unsaivory place to bring a family. Again think twice about spending quality time at Pleasantview motel & R.V.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank jek123456
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We happened to arrive in Summerland when the Ironman Canada Event was on and all accomodation was booked out except for this place. The owner made the most of this by charging $140 for one night for two of us! That is about $100 more than you would expect to pay for such crappy accomodation! Do yourself a favour and avoid the place.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CGT867
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The local visitor's centre was supposed to call a hotel in another city and accidentally called this one. As I thought it was a different location in a different city, I gave credit card details and booked two rooms. I called shortly after when I arrived at the other location and was told there was no problem to cancel the reservation. The man on the phone did not alert me as to the cancellation policy the first time I spoke with him or when I cancelled and has now charged my credit card. when I asked how he could charge me having not informed me of the policies, he said I should have known as the policies are on the website. As I did not look at the website as a third party connected us, I found this to be ridiculous. The man proceeded to yell at me and berate me for not agreeing him.
I would not recommend any dealings with a property which thinks it can charge people without alerting them to the conditions.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lydia L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerland
Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
#4 of 5 in West Kelowna
Summerland Motel
Summerland Motel
#2 of 4 in Summerland

Been to Pleasantview Motel & RV? Share your experiences!