“Make room for spiders and bugs...if they don't lose your booking.”

Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Summerland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“Make room for spiders and bugs...if they don't lose your booking.”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Do you like spiders? Do you like carpet beetles? Do you hate smooth check-ins? Then this is the place for you. What a major disappointment this place was. We have stayed here twice. The first time we had an amazing time. The staff were great and the room was perfect. So we decided to book again and come back a few months later. We had asked for a specific area of the hotel when we booked (ground floor so we can walk to the beach) but when we came to check in the seemed to have totally cancelled our booking. They had a room for us on the third floor which was not what we wanted, but what do you do? We took the room and I told them I was very unhappy as we were assured that when we booked we could be by the water. We went up to the room and the front desk called saying they had a room for us that was just like the one we were in but was by the beach. Since the rest of our party had gone for lunch I began to move the bags down with the help of the bellhop. When we got down there I saw the room only had one bathroom. Our other room had two which is what we requested. I told them this simply wouldn't work as there were six of us. We moved everything back to the original room. This process took well over an hour. I asked to speak to the hotel manager and was told he would be back at 2:30. I went to get a sandwich at the cafe there (which is tasty but way overpriced) and came back at 2:30. They then told me that the manager was gone for the day. I went back to the room and left my number with the desk asking the manager to call me first thing in the morning. Once we got back to the room it was even worse. All the glasses in the cupboards were filthy with sticky white handprints, there were tons of cobwebs on the ceiling and curtains and many spiders had decided to join us. You can tell they never vacuum. I also found carpet beetle larvae on the baseboards. Totally disgusting. I called down to the desk and was told there were no more rooms, but housekeeping would give our room a vacuum. We went out to eat and the room was never cleaned up further. The next morning we went for breakfast and I went to find the manager as he still hadn't contacted me. I finally found him and told him about all the gross bugs, the dirty room, and the terrible confusion with check in. He apologized and said he would do 'something' for us. He agreed to comp one night and send up housekeeping while we were out as well as send a basket of wine. We went wine touring and came back shortly before dinner. Not only was there no wine in our room, but the housekeeping didn't even tidy our bathroom or leave fresh towels. I was pretty furious at this point as I feel he just made empty promises to get rid of me. I called down to the desk and told them the situation. They said there were no notes on the bill about a free night or anything. He sent up two bottles of warm wine (hardly a basket) and some fresh towels. Our bathroom never got cleaned at all and we all got spider bites. To top it all off half the amenities in the kitchen were missing. Our second experience did not live up to the first at all and the housekeeping was absolutely terrible. The manager is insincere and did not care at all that we had a bad time. I would never go to this place again and would discourage anyone from staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sampsoncatt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This year we stayed at this resort from July 28 to July 31 and again from August 23 to 26. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite in July and a one bedroom suite in August. We are up in Summerland about often and will always stay at this resort. The staff are friendly and welcoming. Kylie is who we spoke to to make our reservation for our stay in August and she was extremely friendly and pleasant to speak with. Fantastic employee, just fantastic.
We requested a room change due to a musty odor in our room and was moved to a lake view loft.
Instead of ignoring our request to change rooms the front desk staff searched endlessly for a room that was available. It took so time but they made it happen.

The beds are comfortable with wonderful pillows. We did not get a chance to try the cafe but did notice that the menu prices seemed very good. Absolutely will try on our next stay. This is a very good place to stay!

2 Thank Anna C
Calgary Alberta
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We booked a partial lake view for four nights, myself husband and 3 year old. Starting with location it's great! Right on the lake and walking distance to a nice beach via pathways along the water. The rooms all have kitchens which is very nice to have which with the location are the reasons we choose this. Unfortunately that's where the good ends. I try to take reviews with a grain of salt and think most people are too picky. They weren't lying about this though. The hotel is dated, dirty an poorly maintained. There are spider webs everywhere inside and out. On the lampshades on the balconies everywhere you walk. The carpets don't even look vacuumed there was gum and old candies along the halls. We changed rooms three times. The first was third floor partial view but near the elevators and ice machine. We moved to the second floor but instead of ice machine and elevator we had the noise of the pool and people walking over head. Either there was a herd of elephants above us or you can hear everything and I mean everything including toilets flushing above you. It was disgusting and so loud we spent the whole night awake. In the morning we asked if we could just move to a bluff view to have a top floor not facing the pool. The rooms are even older and poorer maintained but at least quieter. The partial view isn't worth it over looking a smelly marsh and a loud pool and get a minimal look at the lake. The staff were accommodating but nothing above and beyond ordinary. We actually cut our trip short a night because although the area is nice the hotel is so shabby it didn't feel like much of a vacation, and especially not at the prices they charge!! Some people say they are being competitive which they are price wise but we checked out competition in surrounding areas or the same price and wish we'd stayed there!! I don't write scathing reviews but this was such an utter disappointment I have nothing else to say! I would never return and certainly not recommend this to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank lilsweetieflyin
Toronto
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed from August 21 to August 25th and highly recommend this place to anyone that is looking for a retreat from the city. The resort is well kept and the service was great. The first 3 nights we stayed in the Studio suite and was perfect for a couple. Kitchenette was well stocked and the bed is very comfortable. We decided to stay extend our trip for one more night and Kyle at the front desk did everything possible to accomodate us. We received an upgrade to our suite and stayed in the one bedroom with a partial lake view. Again the room was great. The hot tub was great, pool is not heated, but in the summer, who needs it? They provide a daily itinerary, for the town of Summerland. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to stay there. The staff were polite, accomodating, and worked hard to make our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: The partial lake view is definitely worth the price.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This hotel has been on my list of places to stay for quite some time. But I was very disappointed when I finally did stay for two nights recently. The front desk staff were disinterested, the rooms we stayed in were dated and the one room had a great deal of mould in the shower and the tub would not fill ore than a couple of inches after 40 minutes of filling. The first bed I slept in was very comfortable but the second bed (in a less expensive room) was not and the hide a bed was a disgrace. All in all not terribly impressed and would not recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cathi S
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I Agee. Overpriced. Cob webs & mildew in our room. Mega spiders on the deck/ building. Roadrunner191 review is right on. We have stayed her 3x in past and it is obvious they are struggling to keep service & quality matching their prices. Too bad.

Room Tip: On site Spa was booked for rest of the month!! Book well ahead if a spa service like a massage is p...
Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed for 2 nights Aug 4-6.

Positives: Nice location right on the water. Couple of very small beaches - nice to sit and enjoy the view.

Negatives: Emailed on enroute informing us that we would need to change rooms for 2nd night. No reason given as to why. 1st room was clean and in good shape. Side view of lake as opposed to the direct view we had requested. Good size balcony, but was right next to the exhaust vent of the kitchen of the restaurant next door. Made for unpleasant odour until late in evening once the kitchen had closed. Balcony and windows with many spiderwebs - could be washed more frequently. Moved to main building for 2nd night. Carpeting in this building showed generally more wear and tear - maybe older building. This was also reflected in the unit - many carpet stains, cracked toilet fixed with silicone and stained grout lines in the shower. Balcony could again be washed more frequently to clear spiderwebs and dirt and bird droppings on balcony glass. Balcony over the pool not relaxing as it gets noisy with kids enjoying the water and a little tight for 4. View of lake was also partly obscured by the marsh area of the property. Internet signal was practically useless throughout the property.

Conclusion: It's a nice quiet location on the water, but for the price per night we expected the room to be top notch. Not much else in Summerland in the way of restaurants or entertainment so we made good use of the kitchen which was nice to have. Don't think we will be back unless the price is way lower than what we paid.

Room Tip: The south building shows less wear and tear and can be quieter since you are away from the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerland
The Cove Lakeside Resort
#1 of 5 in West Kelowna
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Central City
Delta Hotels by Marriott Grand Okanagan Resort
South Pandosy - K.L.O.
Manteo Resort - Waterfront Hotel & Villas

Been to Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!