“Smoke”

Wildhorse Mountain Guest Ranch
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Smoke”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for two nights as part of a road trip from Calgary to Vancouver where we stayed at several different locations. This was our most disappointing. Welcome on arrival was good but we were instantly met by the smell of smoke and could see people (family members) sitting smoking in the living room. Our room was basic but sufficient with a nice balcony to sit on. We went riding, as we had done at other locations as part of our trip. We were taken out by a young German girl who was very pleasant but did lose control of her horse when we were galloping up a hill, not what you want from your guide. Due to the smoke we limited ourself to our room and balcony, our choice but we found it expensive as a place to stay in comparison to some of the other places we stayed in Canada.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ruaraidh S
WMRanch, Owner at Wildhorse Mountain Guest Ranch, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Bad memory?
I had to look twice to find out that this review was written after one year. So. I cannot say that there guest ore staff members were smoking in our own living room. We give with every inquiry our smoking policy that tells our guests, that the guest rooms are non smoking, but we allow smoking in our private living room, guest are welcome to use and on the 2 sundecks.
These conditions are in our website too,
The horseback riding with a young German girl as guide is perhaps a bad memory after one year, because there was no young inexperience German girl as trail guide. Not 2013 and also not the years before.. The guest spoke about different places for horseback riding and perhaps they mixed something up, What really can happened when I write a review after one year.
Our ladies, we have for trail guides, are both over 40 with more then 30 years experience and of course there are still young..

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kelowna, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Booked an overnight, the day before, for my wife and I and our 12 year old golden retriever, I established when we would be arriving, & checked if dogs were allowed - afternoon, and yes dogs were allowed and was told the dogs onsite were all very friendly, not too worry. On arrival at 3:30 pm ish, The Manager (daughter of the owners) came out to greet and being a ranch, all the dogs were around to greet as well, The Manager held one dog back and so we introduced our Golden Retreiver with my wife holding the leash of our dog, the other dogs rushed in and in a flash once of them bit the end of the nose of our dog and it was evident from the start that there was a cut as the blood was quite noticeable...once settled and Carolyn was supportive in the process, we were shown our room, we ended up securing the larger room for the same rate and were looking forward to relaxing before our outside dinner engagement. By 4:30 pm, between the constant sound of vacuuming and the 1 & 3 year old just being themselves upstairs, we had had enough. We left for dinner and let the Manager know that we would not be back and did not stay or pay. I let Carolyn know that the stay was not peaceful, the cleaning should have been done earlier in the day not after we arrived. As well, the glasses in the bathroom were dirty, heat for the rooms had not been organized in advance and were cold on entry, the bathroom in the room we were in had a strong distinct musty smell, and the rooms styles are basic. All in all, our actions reflect our experience. If the regular owners/managers were onsite I would hope the experience would be different, however we will not give it a try as their price point in our opinion does not offer the value based on what is offered.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank J E
WMRanch, Housesitter at Wildhorse Mountain Guest Ranch, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
I am not the Manager!!
Once again, I want to apologize for any inconvenience I have caused, but I need to clear up, that I am not the manager.
When I spoke to guests on the phone, I made clear, that my parents were in Cuba and I was only watching the ranch with my 2 small children and 2 dogs.
I tried my best to get everything done, but unfortunately, I was not able to finish everything.
I got the room completely ready I had intended for the guests and made sure to go shopping for breakfast and time just got away from me. I forgot to tell the guests, that the price includes a full breakfast, but I thought the guests would know, when they book a B&B.
I prepared a smaller room, which the guests were not comfortable in and so I gave them a larger room with en suite for the same price.
the guest told me on the phone, when I told, I was only the house-sitter, that they were easy going and looked for a place, where they could stay for one night with their dog, because they have an invitation in Summerland. So I thought I could make it work for them. The guests stayed in the room for a couple of hours, got ready for their evening plans then proceeded to come and let me know, that they would be leaving and not coming back and not paying. I was quite shocked as nothing was mentioned to me about them being unhappy. I sincerely apologized and I really sorry I could not do a better job. This was my first time watching the ranch and dealing with guests so my inexperience just got the best of me.
Carolin Sherman .
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

This is a small and very charming B&B style log cabin lodge located in the beautiful Garnet Valley.
We did not go horseback riding, but it is available. The breakfasts are excellent and offer much variety. The eggs come from the chicken coop right outside the door and we were invited to help ourselves to the ripe peaches right off the tree! If you are allergic to cats and dogs, you may want to stay away. Both are very present. Also beware that smoking is permitted in the living room area. While the rooms are smoke-free, it was surprising and a bit unpleasant. The owners and staff are charming and friendly and we felt right at home. Our room was small and simple with little storage area. We shared a bathroom. The bed was firm and of basic quality.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

After a short scenic drive passing by many orchards and cattle and horse farms, we found ourselves in the serene setting of the Wildhorse Ranch B&B. We stayed a total of three evenings in the double queen room with a beautiful ensuite and private entrance. The ranch was wonderfully decorated like I would imagine a ranch and we were immediately greeted upon our early arrival and made to feel extremely welcome even though we arrived over an hour prior to check in. The weather was very hot for this time of year at 39c but the room stayed very comfortable, as the weather was so hot we opted for an early trail ride (the horses are very well trained, and expert instruction was excellent) the views from the trail are absolutely breathe taking as the 80 acres of land has so many views from valley to mountain top view of the lake etc.

Jochen, Brigitte and Christiane were wonderful, each morning we were greeted and asked about our day’s events and offered fresh made to order eggs and bacon along with a full spread breakfast.

Upon leaving we were sad to go and will definitely make the trip out to spend time here again next summer.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Pacific Northwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We are a group of friends - 3 couples who have traveled together for the past 20+ years and have stayed in all kinds of accommodations. We booked rooms at Wildhorse Mountain Guest Ranch for 3 nights after reading about it and viewing photos on the internet. The location is a short distance from the small town of Summerland, BC in the country where it is quiet and picturesque. It was a good location - convenient for visiting wineries in both the Kelowna and Penticton areas and away from the hubub of summer tourists. It was delightful to sit on the deck each morning, enjoy the view, have a cup of coffee and eat breakfast which was the same each morning...assorted breads, homemade jams, cheeses, yogurt, granola, orange juice, cantaloupe and apricots, and bacon and farm fresh eggs cooked to order. The rooms were not air conditioned and were nothing special. There are 2 resident dogs and 2 cats, a dozen horses and a pen with chickens. It would have been nice to know ahead of time that a group of bicycle riders would be camped on the lawn (8 tents) and that they would be sharing one of the bathrooms. Apparently that happens a few times during the summer. That was a surprise! Our room ended up costing $157 U.S. per night - kind of high in our way of thinking.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank haptravlr
Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

My daughter and I had the extreme pleasure of booking 4 amazing days at the Wildhorse Guest Ranch! It was the best 4 days of vacation ever! At the end of the 4 days we felt like we were leaving family.Jochen and Brigette made us feel so comfortable and welcome.The wonderful home cooked meals are oh so good!! Our room was cozy with an amazing view overlooking acres of land.It is so very quiet and serene. The trail rides are alot of fun and the view is breathtaking. We had the most amazing time and cannot wait to return. We would recommend Wildhorse Ranch for everyone!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Barneveld, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed at the Wildhorse Mountain Ranch from July 31, 2012 - August 9, 2012. We found the B & B by browsing the Internet, so it was a guess whether it would be a good place for us. Well, it turned out that it was! If we did not live in the Netherlands, we would visit this place at least once a year. Brigitte and Jochen are warm, friendly and hospitable people. For a true taste of German gemütlichkeit we can definitely recommend the Wildhorse Mountain Ranch.
The view from both sundecks is stunning. The visiting hummingbirds are a nice extra. And on top of that you can also enjoy this from a hot tub. The breakfast is very good. Especially the homebaked bread. The rooms are cosy and comfortable.
Our daughter went horseback riding almost every day. She is not an experienced rider but under the professional guidance of Brigitte, Christiane and Yvonne she felt confident soon and learned quick. The 80 acres ranch borders 300 acres of Crown land, so there are lots of different trails.
At night we saw a lot of stars. The nightly silence was only broken by the sound of one or more horses or the howling of the coyotes at the moon sometimes.
The best thing of a stay at this B & B is that if you want to be in the crowded places, like beaches, wineries, bars and restaurants, you can, because they are close by (less than 10 minutes by car to Summerland, 20 minutes to Penticton). But if you don't want to, you don't have to.
In answer to other comments regarding smoking: it is allowed in one indoor room and outside on the decks, but not in the guest rooms. As a non-smoker it did not bother me.
We want to thank Jochen and Brigitte for a vacation we will never forget. Also warm thanks to Christiane and Yvonne for their help.

Monique Rosbergen - Barneveld - The Netherlands

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Monique R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerland
Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
#3 of 4 in Summerland
Harvest Moon Guest House
Harvest Moon Guest House
#10 of 23 in Summerland

Been to Wildhorse Mountain Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!