“Great little Motel”
Review of Summerland Motel

Summerland Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Summerland
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I recently stayed 4 night at the Summerland Motel and found it to be much more than I expected.

The room I stayed in was in what seemed to be a newer building and everything was in great shape. Clean carpets, clean beds and linens, a nice bathroom and even a little deck overlooking a well kept greenspace.

There are a few reasons I'm not giving this place a 5 out of 5, but they are minor problems in reality:

1. I had to check in after the office closed. There 'vending machine' type system for getting a key after hours wasn't accepting the code I was given and ended up with me having to check into a different type of room than I had originally booked. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of if you're checking in late and the motel is near full occupancy. Had it been full I may not have gotten a room.

2. The toilet paper and facial tissues were the cheapest quality I've even encountered. And I'm a 29 year old man - not something that I would normally even notice. But this stuff was so cheap, it was like using that brown shipping paper - very rough and uncomfortable. If the owners are reading this: please invest the extra pennies into better toiletries.

3. The gym as nothing more than 4 basic machines in a small room. If you're booking based on the fact it has a gym, be prepared to be disappointed.

Otherwise this place was great. Right on the highway, clean and well taken care of. Would stay here again any time.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the building do not have the ability to drive right up and unload your luggage.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank SoundTravellerB
rolfie2008, Manager at Summerland Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Just to allay your concerns regarding our automatic check in machine. Your reservation was held in the machine so no other guest could have taken that room had it been the last one available. For some reason the reservation number did not work so all you had to do was call the motel telephone number displayed on the office door, overnight telephone messages are responded to immediately, and somebody would have come to the front desk to check you into the room you had booked.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Not the Okanagan expierience! Very noisy due to Hwy 97 @ the front door,old a\c units next to alcony doors. Garbage bin below balcony. The other balcony looks like it could fall off at any time. Poor beds. We went for a wedding & had 5 rooms 7 adults had soar backs. Can"t even see the lake. Pool & courtyard face back alley { no view at all } ok area but noisy. Good TVs in living room { Good to cover up road noise!] Bedroom tv fom 1990's. Good thing we paid off season rates $120. This was a SUITE!!!!

Room Tip: Do Not Go To The Smmerland Motel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank murray e
rolfie2008, Manager at Summerland Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

When this guest first registered and viewed her suite she was concerned that the room might be too noisy. We immediately offered her an upgraded suite in a different building which she viewed but decided to stay where she was as she said that she would not be in the suite other than to sleep. Neither her nor any of her guests in the other rooms she had booked ever came to the desk to complain about uncomfortable beds or any other aspect of the motel. The suite she inhabited did overlook the garden. We do not have a back lane, it is actually a residential close obscured by a10 feet Cedar trees which surrounds our rear courtyard. Our building is perfectly safe and had she progressed along the deck another 20 feet she would have seen that it is in the process of being renewed which can only be done when there are no guests using the upstairs rooms. All of this group left one day early due to other commitments and we did not charge for the cancelled day which we are entitled to under the terms of the booking. At the time they appeared to be most appreciative. We are therefore somewhat bemused at the attitude this guest has taken.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

Booked this online, was not expecting how nice and cozy it was. Stayed in the older part, rooms were clean and comfortable beds. Great housekeeping and service. Loved how close parking was to the room right out the front door. Was expensive I thought (170$ for a mon/tues night ) but it is summerland bc in August so prime time for holidays and ironman. So I was happy with everything once we got there. Good fridge and AC. Would definitely stay again. Even though right on Hilary, super quiet at night.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jessk82
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We've stayed here several times , generally in the newer wing but this time in the original building. Upon our arrival, our initial room was in need of a visit from a vacuum cleaner but our hosts simply gave us another room, something other places wouldn't do.

Comfortable room, pretty quiet considering our front door opened onto the highway side of the motel. The bathroom could use an upgrade, the plumbing was a bit retro, but it's always nice not having to bend over to fit under the shower!

We'll be back!

Room Tip: The best and quietest rooms are in the newer wing at the back of the motel. The pool is very small...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here for two nights in April 2012 and I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfy. The owners were not there but the fellow working was very helpful as were the owners when I was trying to pick a room. The only downside was they advertised free wifi in the rooms but that was not the case, we were told that we could get wifi if we came down to the lobby. Would stay again if in Summerland.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank faeriesmom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This motel is well situated. Only a block or so from Powell beach - a lovely quiet spot - we walked it every morning before starting out, and a lovely spot to swim as well. We stayed in the new building on the main floor - it was very nice clean, quiet. Located only 10 minutes from Penticton, and right near the Wine route. About a 4 minute drive to the centre of Summerland, but a good grocery store across the road as well. Well maintained refreshing pool. All in all I would recommend this place - not what you would call luxurious, but for the price it was clean, comfortable, well kept, quiet, and well located.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tofino2
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This is the second time I have reviewed the Summerland Motel. As I have had a pleasant stay both times I have been to this motel and after reading the comments on the page I felt it needed a bit more of a positive note.

When I checked in I was greeted by the owners who were at the front desk. The let me know about their continental breakfast and told me to ask if we needed anything else during our stay. They gave us a map of Summerland and directed us to a few resaurants in town as well as where we could do some grocery shopping (as we were staying in a suite). The room was lovely and spacious and the airconditioning was a great asset as the nights have been very warm still.

This is a great location, on the highway yes, but also within a 15 minute drive of several wineries and about a half an hour from the Naramata bench. The lake is a 10 minute walk and they are pet friendly.

I recommend that you stay here. For the price, you will not be dissapointed!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank abrideau
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerland
Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
Wildhorse Mountain Guest Ranch
Harvest Moon Guest House
Harvest Moon Guest House
#12 of 21 in Summerland

Been to Summerland Motel? Share your experiences!