“Inedible burger, unusual circumstances?”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sumac Ridge Golf & Country Clb
Ranked #20 of 40 Restaurants in Summerland
Cuisines: European
Penticton, Canada
“Inedible burger, unusual circumstances?”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I'm part of a group that travels the Okanagan Valley, trying burgers. One would think that if a restaurant got a call for a reservation of 20 people claiming to be the "Okanagan Burger Tour", you'd put your A-game on for that night. You might even estimate that you're going to have an order come in for 20 burgers at once - and prepare for it.

On the night, we were 18 people, and yes, we all ordered burgers at once. We already had some concerns when the menu proudly listed Thousand Island dressing as an ingredient in each of their burgers -- and they had a surprising number on the menu for a place that had many other things on it.

The burgers came out all at once, with some difficulties. Across from me, a woman received her burger with a Ceasar sald. She informed the waitress that she hadn't ordered salad, she'd wanted fries. The waitress, a touch beleagered, responded with "Oh, that burger comes with salad" as she delivered two of the same burger to others nearby, with fries.

My burger came out last, and it had obviously come off the grill last as well. As I bit into it, I had a mouthful of charcoal. The bottom half of the patty was black. I took another small bite, thinking hopefully...and again had nothing but the flavour of charcoal in my mouth. I called the waitress over and gave her the plate, and told her that it was burnt and I couldn't eat it. She asked if I wanted to order something else. I replied that I was feeling ill from the bites I'd had and wasn't hungry anymore.

By the end of the meal, there weren't many happy faces around the table, and I was getting hungry. The waitress didn't return to the table to bring bills, nor to tell us that we had to go to the cash to get our bills, we had to figure that out ourselves.

My husband went up to pay and was charged for both burgers. Because I'd not ordered something to replace the inedible burger, it was as if I'd eaten it, or some such logic. I don't understand a cook who would let something inedible out of the kitchen, nor a server who would bring something like that to the table and then not care about a complaint.

We wrote an email to the manager listed on the website, and received no reply. I see a restaurant with no concern for its public image, a staff with no care for customer service, and a kitchen staff with no pride in their food.

• Visited August 2013