“Wonderful experience!!!!!!”

La Villa Bonita Culinary Vacation
Bothell, Washington
“Wonderful experience!!!!!!”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a one week vacation at La Villa Bonita. Being an avid fan of Mexican cuisine I went there with high expectations. I can truly say that not only were my expectations met but surpassed. I knew we were heading into something good when upon arriving in the city of Tepoztlan we discovered a true Mexican town that hadn't been invaded by tourists. Once we pulled up to the hotel and were greeted by Ana and their children we knew that it would just get better.

Our first night we (along with the other guests) took part in the welcome dinner and what a feast it was. All the food served that night was a "feast" for all the senses. We had our first meal on the roof top patio and the views were fantastic. We were even lucky enough to hear music in the distance which made the experience that much more enjoyable.

Each morning we started with breakfast at the hotel. There was plenty of food to satisfy our appetite and it made my husband a believer that there are other breakfast foods apart from pancakes and waffles. We took four cooking classes and had a blast during the whole time. It all started with a trip to the market, continued with guided instruction on how to prepare the meal and it ended with all of us sitting at the table and eating our creations. We enjoyed every meal as much as the next!

The rest of the day was left free to do whatever we wanted to. We chose to hike to the Tepozteco Pyramid, relax by the pool, have a massage in our room, walk around town or sit and chat with Ana, Rob or one of their children.

I honestly cannot say enough good things about this place. It felt like we were in paradise and am already looking forward to visiting La Villa Bonita again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wellSeattle

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cato, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2011

This place -- and the hosts -- are absolutely wonderful. Our group of nine experienced cooking-school attendees (we've been at it for over a decade) had one of our best experiences here. The cuisine is sophisticated and fresh. The program is wonderfully organized -- just the right balance of real learning in the kitchen, excursions, and downtime -- and Chef Ana and her family, well, they made us feel like family, and in the best way. The facility -- rooms, kitchen, and incredible dining patio -- is just as beautiful as the photos show it to be. And the town of Tepoztlan is charming and authentic -- and as safe as can be. Go! You won't regret one minute.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank CatoLady
Austin, TX
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Go to Tepozlan and stay at La Villa Bonita. Right now! My family and I (husband, parents, brother, brother's girlfriend) stayed in three of the six guestrooms available in this gorgeous compound and truly could not have been happier. We had some trepidation about traveling to Mexico given the travel warnings about violence, but were assured by Ana and Robb that there was no safer place than Tepozlan. They couldn't have been more right--we walked down town every evening and walked back at night in the dark, never once feeling at risk.

Staying with the Anderson-Garcias (and their great kids!) is like getting the best of both worlds--an extraordinary and relaxing vacation full of food, hikes, and trips to the market and a home-stay with a warm and welcoming multi-cultural family. I simply cannot say enough good things about these good people, the cooking classes (we use the recipes we learned regularly!), and the city.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank KateVickery
New Providence, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Ana and Rob are amazing! Cooking with Ana was great. An easygoing and fun atmosphere permeated the four days we were there. Laughter with our hosts and other guests was a constant. Food was delicious, accommodations were comfortable and location was spectacular.

Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank gooddaynj
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 1 December 2010

As a solo female traveler from the U.S, I couldn't have asked for a better vacation! From the moment Robb picked me up from the airport, I knew I was in good hands. I felt safe, secure, and welcome. Learning traditional Mexican cooking was so much fun! It certainly never felt like a "class" (read: not stuffy, not intimidating), it really just felt like cooking with friends. My accommodations were perfect and so very comfortable. I went during Day of the Dead Week and it was incredible! I can't say enough about my trip there. There isn't ONE thing I would change about this experience, and I will definitely be back again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 December 2010

The place:
Just as it is pictured on the website, it is serene and beautiful and relaxing. No TV so bring your books or laptop for movies at night. They have WIFI so you can keep up with the e-social life. Take a swim in the big beautiful pool. The villa and the local city center is relaxing and I never felt unsafe.
The travel:
I travel alone for work so taking a solo trip for a culinary vacation was carefree and enjoyable. Friends were concerned about the stories on the news about big gang wars and unrest. I saw no sign of trouble..if the family who lives there feels safe, I trust I am safe too. The host will come to pick you up and take you back to the airport so that is worry free and included in the package.
The cooking:
As an experience home cook I was delighted to learn the techniques and customs that can never be part of a recipe in a book. I learned about and tasted fruits and vegetables that I had only read about. Chef Ana is a delightful and patient woman who is generous with her knowledge. The cooking and dining is in an outside kitchen. The warm climate and refreshing breezes made me feel like I was playing outside the whole time.
The staff:
Chef Ana and Rob are great hosts and the staff are pleasant and accommodating.
Would I come back?
I would love to bring my nieces who are up-and-coming cooking enthusiasts too!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 August 2010

I am a culinary vacation veteran -- and this ranks as one of the best. From the time Robb entered the small village and wound through the cobblestone roads leading to the hacienda, you had the sense that this was going to be special. And, once behind the iron walls that entered onto the grounds of La Villa Bonita, it was never disappointing. Ana and Robb are charming and attentive hosts. Ana is a true ambassador of her country and the cuisines of Mexico. Every trip to the mercados were an adventure in themselves, but the magic happened once we returned to La Villa's outdoor kitchen. Each meal was a special treat of Mexican celebration foods, complimented by the magnificent fruit waters -- a different one with each meal.

Abandon any misgivings about either the country or its people. We were wrapped in a cocoon of safety, hospitality and sensual pleasures. Everywhere we were treated as more than guests -- more like visiting dignitaries. And the excursions are not to be missed. A visit to the pyramids at Xochicalco with Arturo as your tour guide and history expert is not be be missed. Put this one on your calendar as a must do.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends