“Wonderful Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tepoztlan
Spanish Cat Language School
Long Island, NY
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2008

My experience at The Spanish Cat Language School in Tepoztlan was wonderful . I spent a month there in March/April and loved being able to have all classes outdoors under an umbrella in a gorgeous setting. The teachers were very skilled, and they made sure that all students spoke Spanish in class. The school's approach really helped me to improve my Spanish, although I never felt pressure, and I thought the pace and small classes were just right for me. There were several classes on different levels, while I was there. I came by myself and stayed at the school which is in an impressive house on beautiful grounds. My room there was spacious and comfortable and cleaned by someone other than me, which was really great. All meals were included. The food was delicious, plentiful, and varied. The entire staff at the school was professional, hard-working and terrific--going out of their way to accommodate individual needs with the graciousness that Mexicans are famous for. I especially enjoyed the town of Tepoztlan with friendly people, lovely weather, and beautiful mountain views from just about anywhere. There were plenty of opportunities to pracitice Spanish in town . Market days were interesting with lots of shopping and adventures in eating. The teachers took us into market every week, in order to practice what we were learning and also to help us understand the culture. But we often walked 20 minutes into town by ourselves . I always felt perfectly safe, even as a single woman, and taxis are plentiful and inexpensive if needed. The whole experience was perfect for me. I was sad to leave and hope to return this winter.

• Liked — picturesque views and spacious room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank tennisbobbie

Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2008

I didn't know what to expect. I had looked at a lot of language schools, mostly in the cities. But the pictures of this one intrigued me. And I wanted to have space to relax.

So, I arrived...OMG, the pictures don't do it justice. I ended up staying in the room shown on the website. It's even nicer than advertised! The spacious room had a huge (like 12'x12') picture window and balcony that looked on the grounds and the pool. I couldn't have picked a better place to learn and relax.

The property is amazingly maintained (full-time gardener), clean, personal, and with modern amenities. In my limited research, I had read someone used the term "hostel." I've stayed in hostels. A hostel The Spanish Cat is not -- it's more of an amazing vacation home. And the school is marvelous, too!

• Liked — I didn't get tired of it!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank threewalls
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2008

Everything about The Spanish Cat Language School appealed to me as it presented itself on its website--location, atmosphere, accommodations, food, and rigorous curriculum taught by a capable faculty. How pleased I was to discover during a week-long stay that the school was exactly as advertised. I found the staff and the teachers to be extraordinarily gifted in making the students feel welcome. I enjoyed the beauty of the place, the warmth and hospitality of the Tepoztlan people, and sharing with students from all over the States the fun of learning and speaking Spanish. I didn't want to go home at the end of the week and I'm eager to return next year.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank papaxton70
Dripping Springs, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2008

The two weeks my daughter and I spent at Spanish Cat Language school were the best two weeks vacation I had. Hands down.
We stayed at the guest house and walked every day to the school. The cool morning were a delight and apparently it's like this year round.
The guest house was quiet and very clean . The school faculty and staff were very friendly. The three meals (9am breakfast, 2pm lunch and 7pm evening meal) were always something to look forward to.
The Spanish lessons were suited to the individual experience and whether you were a casual learner or more committed there was always a good teacher available.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Heat
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank eoghang
TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2008

The course was great, the teachers are very knowledgeable, patient and kind.

BUT

Just don't stay there unless you are OK with staying in something similiar to a youth hostel. Well, a cold youth hostel. There is no heating, so at night when it reaches about 45 degrees, so will your room. Should you choose to leave, they will not refund any of your money and will try to trick you into paying a cancellation fee as well as the fees for the room which you did not end up staying in.

The are two major misleading statements on their website:

1. Satisfaction Guarantee- perhaps this is true if you are unhappy with the courses, I don't know but if you are unhappy with the lodging they don't care and will NOT refund you.
2. Luxury- the lodgings are described as luxury. They are rustic at best, which is fine if you are expecting it.

Go for the classes and stay somewhere in town.

3 Thank coltsfans
TheSpanishCat, Owner at Spanish Cat Language School, responded to this review, 27 August 2008
Hi, My name is Tom Norwood, one of the owners of The Spanish Cat. These people booked a three week stay and after one night left, and then demanded a refund for the full three weeks (we ended up giving them a refund for two weeks). When asked why they said they had been cold and that the room had been too dirty for them. There are many extra blankets available just outside the rooms, so that would have solved that problem, and as to cleanliness, well, I guess everyone has their own standards but all our rooms are fully cleaned on a daily basis and no student before or since has ever mentioned it (in fact, we've been praised for our cleanliness and consider it very important.) By the looks of these people (high heels and designer clothes - in a Mexican village!) they were expecting a 5 star hotel, which we are not, and don't pretend to be.
London, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2007

I went to The Spanish Cat language school in Tepotzlan in June 2007. I went to learn the language, but came away with a greater appreciation of Mexico and its culture. I have travelled all over the United States, have been to Canada and this was my third trip to Mexico (first time to Tepotzlan) and this was, hands down, the BEST vacation I have ever had!

First, the school was absolutely wonderful. My instructor, Juan Manuel, was very patient and knowledgeable. His personality was warm, friendly and accepting of diverse people. He could give very good examples of why you would use a certain word in specific situations within a cultural context as well as how to correctly pronounce two similar sounding words. Their method of teaching is very practical and leads to quick learning (even for me!). He has a degree in languages and has taught other places so his experience is very well rounded so the classes were always interesting and fun.

As a female traveller travelling alone, I was concerned about safety. I never once felt uncomfortable while either at the school or on an excursion. Juan Manuel was also the tour guide and he made sure safety was not an issue.

The food at the school was excellent. Everything was made from scratch by the cooks at the school. Any time I wanted to ask how something was made or what the spice was or anything the cooks were happy to answer my questions.

The grounds and buildings are well maintained and had beautiful landscaping all around. My room was beautiful and had its own private bath. Families could also stay together in a much bigger room on the first floor. It was also fun knowing I could jump in the swimming pool any time I wanted when I wasn't in class or out at the wonderful market in Tepotzlan.

Usually when I travel, I try to visit new places, but I will definitely be going back to The Spanish Cat, now for a refresher Spanish course. I know that I will learn the language correctly, accurately and quickly. I look forward to it even more than I did the first time I went!

3 Thank SusanKentucky