“Villas Flamingos is tranquil and lovely.”
Review of Villas Flamingos

Villas Flamingos
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
Wellfleet, Massachusetts
“Villas Flamingos is tranquil and lovely.”
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I just returned from my fourth visit to Villas Flamingos, and I plan to go back again and again. Here you are just a few feet from the beach and the spectacular blues of the gulf. The resort is near the end of the developed beach with easy access to the long sand bar that stretches for miles--a great place for walking. The simple rooms are recently refurbished with artfully designed decor and a front porch with hammock and table and chairs. There is AC if you want to use it, but we didn't need it and fell asleep listening to the waves. The composting toilet worked fine and had no odor at all. The grounds are lovely and carefully maintained around a pool with a deck that has a great sunset view over the gulf. There are many comfortable places to lounge in the sun or shade. The owner and staff are very friendly and helpful. We always got prompt service for anything we needed. They went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. We were content to spend our time relaxing, reading and walking, but the staff can arrange tours as well. It is easy to walk to town on the beach (probably 15-20 minutes) and we walked in most nights for dinner, although we had several very good meals at Villas Flamingos. The breakfast is substantial and excellent and is served in the restaurant/porch that looks out over the pool and view. If you are looking for simplicity, beauty, tranquility, and excellent service, this is your place.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Luciledb
holbox1, Guest Relations Manager at Villas Flamingos, responded to this review, 27 March 2011
It`s a real pleasure fot us to have you here each year, and of course we try to be better everyday. See you next year and thank you for your nice comment!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed 14 March 2011

After reading the reviews and seeing the photos, my husband and I booked a getaway to villas flamingos. We arrived late at night and were horrified when we entered the room. It smelled like a port a potty and was really run down. The tour of the room included a peek at the hole in the ground toilet (thank god there was a lid) and instructions on how to apply the sawdust after use. We were just adjusting to this (after many Eco-stays in Tulum with no problems) when we asked for the wifi code for the hotel. They provided us one and we tried to get it to work. After no results we went to have dinner in the little restaurant where they had run out of white wine and butter and paid US prices for some pretty average food. We returned to the room and still could not get the wi fi to work. The next morning staff confessed that there was actually no wifi in the rooms and that we could work in the lobby.

I am really surprised that a hotel so remote would tell clients that there was a service provided that was vital to their ability to stay and then when they turn up attempt to maintain the charade. Once we discovered this, we found a perfectly lovely hotel down the road (with normal toilets) and checked out. We didn't get our deposit back, but at least Crystal was able to run our golf cart rental through Villas Flamingos and we ate up the cost that way.

After looking at every hotel on Holbox Island, the only place to stay with any luxury and standards is Villa Nubes.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Proctorer
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Last week I had the opportunity to visit this beautiful island.
I choose Villa Flamingos because some acquaintances recommend this place to me. And I must say we were very pleased to choose this. My wife and I had a great trip.
The rooms are very clean and beautiful. The food is excellent and the service very kind.
In particular, the receptionist who served us l must say is very nice and pleasant. If I remember well...her name is Lucia, very cheerful and easygoing gal.
Definitely I give this place a high five...Is a heavenly place to spend a little quiet and fun vacation.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cohen77
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 January 2011

I was scheduled to go to Isla Holbox in February but unfortunately needed to cancel my vacation. The management at Villas Flamingos cheerfully, speedily and happily refunded my deposit. I had heard horror stories of other hotels keeping deposits, but not Villas Flamingos. I can't wait to rebook and go to Isla Holbox and when I do I will be sure to stay here.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GloberunnerNYC
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 26 October 2010

I travelled to Holbox with a colleague after a long conference and upon our arrival in Holbox took an easy golf cart ride to the Hotel. We were greeted very warmly, offered a drink (yes, please) and were processed quickly while chatting with the owner. We were upgraded in our bungalow and the owner placed a bottle of wine in our room as a greeting. Our rooms were amazingly comfortable, the bathrooms unique and immaculate and the grounds spotless and serene. The owner arranged for our whale shark tour and everything went very smoothly. Kudos especially on the wide selection of lounging options and hammock on the veranda. The island is super quiet, so don't come here is you're looking for banging nightlife, but we met some great couples with whom we shared dinner and drinks , which was our speed right then. I would return here in a heatbeat and rank this as one of the best hotels I'v ever stayed at overall. Do it!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We had a great time at this place! Clean, pretty basic rooms, great location (right on the beach but not in the city center, so quiet) and pretty landscaping. Very nice service -- they knew our quirks at the restaurant after a week!

This was a wonderful place to just relax and watch the lizards scramble around and the clouds float by.

They set everything up (whale shark watching, transportation from the airport, taxi) and I double checked the prices -- nothing was inflated. The whale shark watching trip was not overcrowded and the captain was really friendly. As tourists these 'additions' are where we get scammed (kickbacks, etc) so I really appreciated the convenience and the moderate prices!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Flamingos has the Best location on Holbox- the beach road ( which can be surprisingly busy) dead ends before Flamingos so there is no traffic between the hotel and the water, This is Not the case with most beach hotels in Holbox.
We had a jounior suite and it was huge- the shower and dressing areas were very large. All the rooms have hammocks on their front porches- I love this.
As is always the way in Mexico service is not quick- but after one day on Holbox you realize they are not slow, we are just in too much of a hurry.
We arranged all our tours through manager José Maria and were very pleased with the quality of boats, equipment and guide we got every time,
José Maria was great and helped with everything we needed and he had wonderful restaurant suggestions. There is also a great pool with lots of palapas, chairs a beach bar and for the ultimate relaxing , swinging beds!
Given the location, rooms, service and helpfulness of the entire staff, I would say this is the place to stay on Hlobox..

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family