“REALLY enjoyed our stay (despite the beach)”

Beachfront La Palapa Hotel Adult Oriented
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
Alexandria, VA
“REALLY enjoyed our stay (despite the beach)”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed at La Palapa from March 26-31, room #9, which is has 2 double beds and a balcony facing the waters (though the view is covered up by the palm trees).

The hotel itself is very lovely: on the west side of the island. I have to say that I really enjoyed our stay at this charming little hotel. It was quiet, the rooms were comfortable, the people were super nice, the other guests were there to relax and enjoy their vacation and not there to be obnoxious and drunk.

The Awesome:
1) the staff, particularly Chrystel who manned the front desk, Eber who was incredibly kind and patient when trading emails with me about our reservations, the older gentleman who was our waiter at the restaurant during the beginning of our stay (he was so cute: I wish I had remembered to write his name down) and the lovely woman who was the restaurant staffer who took care of us during our last couple of days (I cannot remember her name for the life of me.)

2) The location: I don't know why I felt like the walk to the square was quicker than when we were at Tortugas. The hotel is in a quiet location, right on the beach, next to another beach club and right next to my favorite place to eat in Holbox - Las Panchas. Walk down another block down the street and you'll hit an ice cream shop. Walk to the end of the street of the hotel and make a left, and there's the cutest little coffee shop with truly amazing (if a bit expensive) coffee.

3) The vibe: so.freaking.chill. My friend and I went to really unwind and relax and not feel like we need to socialize if we didn't want to, and the hotel delivered.

4) The hotel itself is super nice. It's very lovely, the rooms are simple, but with such high ceilings. I love the white paint against the darkly varnished woods.

5) The restaurant (Casa Nostra): You need to eat there at least once: their pastas are delicious, but our favorite would have to be the octopus salad, which is this hearty, warm salad of grilled octopus, with beans and potatoes and other delicious things. I could eat a bowl of this and be full for hours.

The merely ok
1) The beds were very firm. Very, very firm. It took me a couple of nights to get used to sleeping on such a firm bed. Should have asked for more pillows. Also, no mosquito nets: really should have asked for this but kept forgetting. The doors are left open when the cleaning staff comes in and that means there will be that one, mean, persistent and VERY agile mosquito who will bite you on the forehead at night.

2) The beach -- granted, this is NOT La Palapa's fault. There was still quite a bit of seaweed on the ocean floor; stepping into squishy, slippery, slimy ground was disconcerting to say the least. You'd have to walk out quite a ways to get beyond the belt of slippery ocean floor. But the beachfront was much, MUCH cleaner than some of the other areas we've seen IN Holbox.

3) MOSQUITOS! Again, not La Palapa's fault, but please remember to pack either DEET, or Picaridin that's at least 20% (highly recommend)

4) The $5 continental breakfast: consists of a sweet muffin, 2 pieces of toast, juice and coffee. It's ok, I wish there had been fruit included. But...to be fair, the coffee is so good (and you can get refills, I think), that I'm happy to pay the $5 just for that alone.

Things I wished for:
1) A safe in the room. There is a safe at the front desk, but I am the type who would have forgotten to get my passport at checkout. La Palapa, please put safes in the hotel rooms!
2) A fridge in room #9
3) Mosquito netting over the beds.
4) Drain plugs for the sink so we can close it up at night: when it rained, the smell of seaweed/sewage would waft up the drains at night. The shower drain had a plastic cover, wish the sink had one too.
5) Clearer tipping policies: we never carried cash around when eating at the restaurant, everything got charged to the room. I felt awkward about not leaving a tip at the end of breakfast/meals. Instead we decided to leave a large-ish gratuity when checking out to share with the all staffers. We also left cash every two days for our cleaning staff, Maria. But I think in this case, it would be awesome if they had envelopes at the front desk where you can leave a gesture of thanks at the end of the stay if you wished.

All in all, I loved staying at La Palapa and plan on staying there again next year. My friend and I agreed that we've found our place to stay for our Holbox vacations.

Room Tip: Room #9 (2 double beds), which is on the 2nd floor has an ocean-facing balcony - but the palm trees...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lor2876

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 May 2012

if you decide to go to holbox..but why should you go there that is another question?! i would suggest la palapa mostly for the kindness of the people and the great restaurant.it's a good choice but the island beaches m at certain time ( april ) are full of seaweed, the water was too cold for me to go in ( golf of mexico).
the rooms of the hotel are ok, the view limited but the hotel is right in town. however the town in april is dead or after easter. very expensive restaurants and full of italians. even mexicans speak italien! however that gives the island an international sophisticated ambiance.
Marcello at the restaurant of la palapa will give you an extra pasta , good wine, the best cappucino in north america and fun...kristel is just so happy to please her guests she is adorable.

Room Tip: room nr 10 was perfect for us
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank annetteapproved
Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

Great hotel. Clean. Close to the beach. 2 things that you sould know. First is the shawer, the hot water not realy hot. Second is the smell there is bad smell like toielt one that comes from the sea at noon. Not very sympatic.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Terrace
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The hotel was wonderful. Great location - lots of shade and places to sit and read on the beach. Great chef in the restaurant. The island is very quiet and peaceful - great place to hide and get away from it all. Room were nice but only a few have kitchen facilities so make sure you ask before you book.

Room Tip: Ask about the rooms with kitchen, as they only have a few. Also they provide transportation from Ca...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank east635
asheville
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I cannot say enough about the staff at this hotel. From the reservation agent (Eber) to all of the maintenance staff (Sr. Coco AKA Eduardo), service was exceptional. The concierge (Chrystel) was so patient with me, answering question after question over email for months before our arrival. Great location, clean and comfortable rooms, excellent restaurant on the premises. Even with it's remarkable set up, the staff is really the shining star of this hotel. I hope to be back year after year

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AshevilleKAT
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I simply cannot express how very much I loved my experience on Holbox, and for that matter, the whole of the Yucatan. The hotel, however, was something else entirely, elevated to superlative status. The staff---especially Chrystel--were so helpful that I still feel as though I can never repay their kindness. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The Casa Nostra restaurant--namely Pepe and Marcello-- is the home of incredible food and professional service. They quickly became fast friends. When one of our party became ill and we asked Pepe for something to help, he offered to buy her some medicine with his own money--a gesture I will never forget. Marcello showed us around with kindness and an unmatched sense of humor. I would stay again and again if given the chance--and now I hope to return to see my new friends! :-)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Falkenberg
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Excellent location very close to the ocean. Rooms are clean and service is nice. Lovely with the hammocks on the beach between palm trees.

Nice sun beds but unfortunetly no cusions making it too hard. Also, we would prefer to have refridgerators on the room.

Overall very nice and highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends