Beachfront La Palapa Hotel Adult Oriented
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
“Perfect”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I have just returned from my third trip to the magical Isla Holbox. I have previously stayed at the very nice Casa Las Tortugas, but they were all booked up, so I decided to try La Palapa. I am so glad I did. I have found my new home away from home. The rooms are very nice - large, well maintained and expertly cleaned every day. The grounds of the hotel are well taken care of and the beach is clean. The restaurant serves great food and hospitality, and the staff at the hotel are welcoming, kind and efficient.
One recommendation: it would be great to have mosquito nets over the beds. I woke every morning with a fresh crop of bites, despite applying repellent before bed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Paris, France
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We found this hotel and this destination to be magical. A place for true travellers who want to be away from the floodlights of Cancun and Playa del Carmen ( though Playa is far better than Cancun). This is just what we wanted after travelling so much in the Yucatan. The rooms were colourful spacious and very clean. The village square was just a short walk away from the hotel. We enjoyed breakfast and the sea food served in the restaurant very much. An incredible setting right on the beach in front of the hotel. During our stay we never put our shoes on. A big thank you to Robert and all the staff who really took care of us!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pierre G
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I know I am wayyy over due for this review. Its been almost a year since i had visit here. I went on a family vacation with my wife and son for there birthday. Holbox island is to die for, such a great and cozy place, very relaxing. The staff was sooo awesome and they attended to our needs well. The chiefs were so great they even help me plan a surprise birthday dinner and cake for my wife which she loved. The rooms wore awesome and everyday our housekeeper made a different type of animal with our towels, my son got a kick out of it. Its been almost 1 year and my son and wife already want to go back. Great place A+ staff this is a place i will be coming back to.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
XperienceHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Beachfront La Palapa Hotel Adult Oriented, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Dear ambassador(as we kindy name our guests),

On behalf of the entire Xperience Family we would like to thank you for your visit to La Palapa Ethno Boutique Hotel. For us it is very important to know that you have chosen us again to share a very precious time of your family: your vacations and your wife's birthday !. It is very rewarding to know that your wife enjoyed the personal amenities and details that our hospitality devotees arranged for this special occasion. Thank youfor your motivating comments, we will be glad to share this effort with all the members of our team!

Looking forward to having the oportunity to welcome you back soon.

Sunny regards,

Carolina Baca
Guest Relations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This was our first trip to Isla Holbox, but we'll definitely be back and when we return, we'll stay here again! The staff were super helpful and friendly. The location is excellent---our room was on the first floor, with a small patio facing the ocean. The patio had 2 chairs and a hammock. The beach front was steps away, with plenty of shaded lounge chairs. The hotel can arrange tours, call a golf cart taxi to get you to the ferry and offers kayaks for rent. The included breakfast was pretty basic--toast, a muffin, juice and coffee/tea---but good. The room and bathroom were spotless and spacious, with little details like bath towels folded into swans and organic toiletries. The water in Holbox was calm, warm and crystal clear---we wish would have skipped Cozumel and spent more time in Holbox.

Room Tip: Pick a ground level room. They don't technically have beach access because there is no opening i...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Central BC
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This was our second time at La Palapa and hopefully we can visit again soon . I can't say enough about how well the staff treat the guests. Brenda and Robert went out of their way to provide us with excellent service. We had initially booked into the cute little Bungalow at the back of the property. Loved it. Hidden & quiet. After a few nights a small maintenance problem cropped up that required us to move. Brenda immediately moved us to an upgraded room for the balance of our stay for no extra cost. All the staff from the groundskeepers to the housekeepers seem to genuinely care about the guests. it is a very pleasant atmosphere.
I can't speak to the complimentary breakfast because we never tried it. We prefer to have coffee and cereal in the room rather than a sit down breakfast. I can say that we had a lunch and dinner at the onsite restaurant and they were both excellent. It was one of the best meals I enjoyed in Mexico. And the Mojitos are outstanding! We had them several times as a mid-afternoon refreshment.
Holbox Island may be a little hard to get to but it's probably my favorite place in Mexico.
I wish I was looking at one of those gorgeous Holbox sunsets right now rather than the snow-piles in front of my house!

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues, avoid the upper floors. Lots of stairs. Some Steep.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We needed a vacation and this turned out to be a perfect place to bring two small children and relax. It is mostly nice and quiet (did have one night with loud teenagers) and the location cant be better for access to the village and the restaurants there. The grounds people there are lovely and the staff nice and accommodating. It is lovely to be next to the sea, when you are at the hotel it is the only thing you will hear. We wanted a simple thing at this it is.
The only bother is the hugely expensive ride from the airport. We ended up paying a good 350 US dollars return for two people through the hotel provided service- there must be cheaper ways but we didnt find it.
We partly chose the place because of the good reviews of the restaurant, but it was pretty disappointing. The included breakfast is only a slight step up from a motel serve yourself continental breakfast. Horrible orange juice and dry toast. Dont bother.
The owner of the restaurant seems to have convinced himself that he is doing fine Italian dining with prices to follow, but the food really commonplace and the restaurant would not survive in any other place. We has spinach served as rocket and canned mushrooms for funghi affumicati (smoked mushrooms).
So go there to La palapa but not for the restaurant, there is so much great food to be had in the village. There is a lovely little Mexican place next door with a morning and afternoon menu- all of it delicious.

Room Tip: Take the ones furthest from the restaurant. The restaurant plays the same loop of tunes everyday, an...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

It is an amazing place to stay just 2 steps away from te beautiful beach I can't rave enough about this place however since I am in the service industry I guess I am a little picky and their restaurant was not the best, waiter too serious and when asked if I could have some tortillas they said they don't manage that in te restaurant, which restaurant in Mexico doesn't serve tortillas??? Only this one I guess!! However the hotel staff very great allowed me to check in late and room was clean everything amazing except restaurant. I do recommend this place to anyone wanting to stay in Isla Holbox

• Stayed March 2013