Beach Guesthouse Holbox Apartments & Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Hotel Para Ti(Holbox Island)
  • Pool
Amaite Hotel & Spa(Holbox Island)
Casa Takywara(Holbox Island)
  • Beachfront
Hotel El Pueblito(Holbox Island)
View Hotel
Casa Maya Holbox(Holbox Island)
  • Breakfast included
Holbox Hotel Mawimbi(Holbox Island)
Casa BlatHa(Holbox Island)
  • Restaurant
All reviewswonderful hostsbreakfast vouchersperfect place to celebratefew minutes walklarge balconyferry ticketsperfect stayanswer questionsthe location is perfectwhale sharkstown squarerelaxing vacationcancun airportocean viewmandyaptunits
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Holbox Apartments is a small gem tucked away on Holbox Island. It is a simple place with a real Mexican flare. The palapa roof and the beautiful wood interior give the apartment charm. The view from the upper balcony is spectacular. It has sun and shade with hammocks to enjoy afternoon siestas. The property is close to town and is easy walking distance on the beach. It is a rare find with reasonable pricing. Would return again and stay at this unique apartment on the beach with amazing views.

Room Tip: Two Apartments. Upstairs has a refrigerator and downstairs has a full kitchen
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2011

the site is fantastic. arriving ffrom the "port" is great to see this beautiful house handmade by John and Mandy. each angle has a specific theme, all the sand garden is full of seashell, iguana, flowers ...
let's spend some days here to live in paradise ....
from the room you can see fantastic sunrise and sunset... some of the best ever seen...
and the owner are very kind, and available to help you to visit the island..

do IT, you will be HAPPY !

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andrembolo
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We stayed in the upstairs left (looking out at the gulf) apartment and loved it. I slept for hours in those hammocks. It's very cozy and a great place to stay for a couple nights. Nice to have a coffee maker and refrigerator in the room, and the shower had good heat and water pressure. There were a couple iguanas who hung out with us on the veranda each day.

I hate that I can't remember the name of the caretaker, but when we were there he was staying downstairs, and is the local veterinarian. And this is important, as it is how my first negative turned into a great big positive---

When we arrived on Holbox, though we had a reservation, we hadn't received any information on location of the Apartments. It was raining, and we walked up and down the beach looking for it. And so you know- it's to the left of the main road from the ferry, about three blocks down on the beach (a block and a half past Holbox Dreams). I had a cell and called the number I had and they told me which way to head, without a lot of detail. When we found the Apartments, there was no reception, and I had to call into the room of other guests to try and get some help (still raining). She told us we had to walk a block and a half back the way we'd come and go to the Veterinarian's office to get the key. So away in the rain we went and found out he'd gone out to do something with his hair. So we had to wait another 10 minutes- in the rain....

Well he showed up with a hair drier in his hand, and was extraordinarily friendly, apologetic, and wasn't going to let rain or disappointed guests ruin his charming disposition. He brought us to our room, again apologized, told us what we needed to know and was off. The next day, as we were lazing the afternoon in the hammocks, he showed up with a big bowl of guacamole, chips, civiche and two ice cold beers. He must have made them himself downstairs, and to be completely honest, this was the best guacamole and best civiche we had in our entire time in Mexico and Belize. To top it off, he let me borrow his ipod charger, as we'd left ours at home. Any miscommunication and misunderstanding was cleared up.

Other negative, no a/c. You probably don't need it most of the year, but after a day getting too much sun and starting to burn, and under a mosquito net in July, it can be a bit too much. I understand that the palapa roof pretty well rules out the possibility of having an a/c, so it's a trade-off. Ultimately I preferred the palapa for the experience, but if you're pampered- you might rather go with a/c in July.

Mosquitos- never in my life, until I arrived on Holbox, had I heard an audible, collective hum from mosquitos (and I've been in some bad mosquito spots). This, naturally, is no fault of the Holbox Apartments, and they've got the room pretty well sealed off so they don't get inside, but still- there's a lot of mosquitos; just be prepared. It's worst at dusk and bad at dawn. And if you're downtown and see the fumigator truck come by- run! seriously.

It could be a little closer to the water, though it's really no issue to get to it, other places have a better 'beach' area (not really beaches on Holbox, rough, shelly beaches I'd say).

Internet didn't work in our room, and fortunately no one was in the other upstairs room, so we could walk over to the end of their veranda and hang over the side to pick up signal. Kind of a pain.

All in all, it's a Very Good place to stay, and if I ever go back to Holbox, I would definitely stay there again- nor would I think twice about recommending it to a friend.

Room Tip: Top right room (facing the beach) may be better for internet, but top left room has slightly better view. No cooking equiptment upstairs.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank walkingupstream
Reviewed 19 June 2011

LOVED Holbox Apartments! Just got back from there after a romantic week with my boyfriend on the wonderful little Isla Holbox. We had an upstairs apartment with a fabulous view. The apartment was well appointed and comfortable. We practically had the beach outside the place to ourselves. Louis the caretaker of the property was sweet and helpful and the owners John and Mandy provided us with so much information before we got there. Its blocks from town but still far enough away to feel private. Honestly one of my new favorite places - highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chelseacm
Reviewed 26 May 2011

My husband and I along with another couple just returned from a week stay at Holbox Apartments. It was SO lovely. We rented 1 lower apartment and 1 upper suite. It was just perfect, the best of both worlds. The 4 of us had a kitchen downstairs and the AMAZING deck with beautiful views of the sunset and beach upstairs. The property is immpeccably kept with simple and comfortable furnishings. The gardener cut us fresh coconuts everyday he was there, and the caretaker Luis (also the town veterinarian) and his sweet dog Paparita took GREAT care of us. We would definately return and reccomend to anyone who wanta quiet and relaxing stay! The beach was beautiful!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple