“Great place for a very reasonable price w”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa los Mangles

and 1 more site!
Villa los Mangles
Ranked #2 of 32 Holbox Island B&B and Inns
Arcata, California, United States
“Great place for a very reasonable price w”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed staying here. We got the Palapita del Amor, which is on the roof and has its own private terrace. The room was simple but nice, with a large shower, espresso/coffee machine, and nice linens. The bed was a little small for two people, but comfortable. They even provided after sun gel, which was much needed. The owners are very nice and friendly, and live on the premises but that is not a problem. The private terrace we had was large and great for sun and moon bathing, with a view of the beach and surrounding trees. We also saw lots of stars and fireflies at night. The place is not on the beach, but it is a 2 minute walk to get to the beach. I highly recommend this place.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed at los Mangles for seven days in June and had a great time. Antoine and his family were great hosts and the apartment was more than we could have hoped for, very clean and comfortable. I would highly recomend anyone looking to visist Holbox stay at Los Mangles.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
North Liberty, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

We were very lucky to discover this lovely establishment. My husband and two sons, ages 9 and 13, and I stayed here for a week -- my husband and I in Harmony 1, with a fully stocked kitchen and living area, and our sons in the Friendship room next door. It was lovely to be close, but still maintain some privacy, and the kitchen allowed us to have some meals at home. Villa los Mangles is a beautiful, clean establishment, and our innkeepers, Antoine and Liliana, have become our friends. They patiently and enthusiastically answered all of our questions, arranged a boat tour and golf cart rental for us, and Liliana even graciously gave us half her day to shop with us and teach us to prepare delicious guacamole, pico de gallo, and green salsa in our room. Delicious! Her good relations with the resort just down the road, Villa de Paraiso, allowed us to use their gorgeous pool one afternoon for the price of a few beers and snacks. The beach is just a few minutes down the road, and town center is a 10 minute walk or so. If you've not been to Holbox before, I recommend you bring plenty of bug spray, sun lotion, and a flashlight for walking at night. Our hosts provided everything else we needed, from a thermometer when my son was feeling ill one day, to excellent advice for great food, dependable pharmacist assistance, internet access, and affordable transportation back to Cancun. I feel we not only found a great place to stay, but also found friends to welcome us in this corner of the world.

Room Tip: Our Harmony apartment had ac available. We only used it one day when my son was feeling ill, because...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Owner at Villa los Mangles, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Thank you guys for the very nice review, it was very nice to meet you. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time in our place and wish that you would come back soon, you still have to do the whale shark tour and we need to see if you have practised with the guacamole and the other salsas, next time you prepare it :)
Hugs Antoine Lili Vale
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

My and friends and I stayed at Villa los Mangles for two nights. We had found the place online, and booked it due to good reviews and very appealing price. Even before arrival, the owner was very helpful with all the questions I had and he organized the whale shark tour for us (the reason of visiting the island of Holbox).
At arrival we were shown to our room, called AMISTAD, it had three single beds, perfect for friends travelling together. The room was furnished nicely, and everything looked pretty new. The bathroom was clean and well appointed with nice organic amenities. There is no A/C in the room but that didn't bother us because with the windows open and the fan running it was very comfortable. Outside the room was a little table overlooking the garden and a hammock to relax. The garden was well maintained.
I also had a look at the other rooms, two little apartments with kitchenette and living room area, TV, bedroom and A/C - called ARMONIA, The last room was on the second floor, with a fabulous huge terrace, with outside bar area, overlooking the ocean and a smaller bedroom with a tiki roof - really mexican - that one was called AMOR. All rooms are really nice, and I wouldn't mind staying in any of them, but for next time I am planing in going back there with my husband and I would take the upstairs room with the large terrace.
The place is like two blocks from the beach, and about 10 minutes walk to the center of Holbox, really good location.
The only thing I would have liked was - a little more water pressure in the shower (but that is Mexico in general) and some breakfast in the morning in that beautiful garden. Unfortunately they don't offer breakfast, but than again, they are not a hotel.
All in all we really enjoyed our time there and will certainly return the next time we visit the quaint little island of Holbox.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bellalinchen
, Owner at Villa los Mangles, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Hola thank you very much for your positive review! It makes us very happy to read that you want to come back with your husband, the Palapita del Amor and its terrace would be ideal for you.
Hasta pronto. Antoine
sidney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I stayed at the Villa los Mangles for a week-long vacation. Specifically, in one of the Armonia apartments. The apartment was great, perfect for one or two people. When traveling for more than just a couple days, I always look for options that offer a kitchen. It was the perfect little "home" for week! The kitchen was well-kept with all the necessary appliances... even a blender for mango margaritas! The place is off of the main road, so there is more privacy available. The warm owners are fabulous and were available for any questions I had about my stay on the island. You immediately notice the attention to detail that they have... their plush garden is lovely and the basket of local, organic soaps and shampoos was a nice treat. Los Mangles is not directly on the beach, but a super short 2 minute ride on a bike (available for rent at the Villa). I already am looking into the possibility of returning, and staying there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank miabbbb
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed top floor and it was really pretty. I really look forward to come Holbox over a month, but the beach was really HUGE disappointment.... I am beach lover, but water was muddy and beach is filled with seaweeds and bugs, I ended up staying this lodge's roof top all day with birds.

For me, there were some problems like smell in bathroom. Also there is almost nothing but not-so-great restaurant at hotel nearby. I wish this lodge provide drinking water. I spend very relaxing time, but after all I probably stick with Isla Mujeres.... Isla Holbox was too far to travel muddy cloudy water. Water in Long Island can have more visibility...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank consumeraffair
, Owner at Villa los Mangles, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Dear Consumeraffair thank you for the review, I am sorry that when you came to Holbox the situation on the beach was really bad, this was something unusual, due to the strong winds from the north, which were particularly bad this season; the beach is now clean and the water cristal clear.
We also have fixed the problem in the bathroom and there is no more bad smell now, sorry for that.
The nearby hotel breakfast service, unfortunately, is not under our control, but is the first time that we receive a negative comment about it, all the guests of Villa los Mangles that have been there have given us really good feedback. In town there are several other options for all tastes and budgets.
I hope that you could come back someday with better weather conditions and enjoy Holbox as it is normally.
Best regards
Antoine
Lewes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

What really makes Villa Los Mangles a great place to stay isn't just the 360 view from the roof terrace but the lovely owners. After staying at Hotel Mawimbi for a couple of nights, it was actually really refreshing to leave and be a little more independent from hotel living. We received such a warm, welcoming and friendly reception from Antoine and Liliana who were the perfect hosts, really helpful and happy but without being intrusive. They will help you with recommendations for travel, activities and eating and can arrange boat trips and excursions for you too on and around the island.

We stayed on the roof terrace, the room is clean and well equipped with plenty of space for luggage. The bathroom has a good supply of hot water although you'll probably be going in for the cold showers with the heat in Holbox and a cleaner comes every morning to make the bed. The sheets and towels are changed every couple of days and are good quality, there is also a mosquito net around the bed on the windows, a fan above the bed and a lovely cool breeze which blows through the windows.

The only slight drawback is that there isn't a kitchen although they can provide a cool box and order ice in for you. They have a deal with the hotel opposite for breakfast which provides a pretty decent buffet with freshly blended juices to omelettes and eggs al gusto cooked to your taste in front of you by the chef. It costs about 120 pesos per person which by Mexican standards is a bit pricey but then most things on Holbox are tourist prices anyway. You can also use the hotel pool at the Hotel Paraiso, at least we did, which was a god send as when we visited, the tide hadn't washed away the seaweed which was rotting on the shore and stinking out the whole island and swimming in the sea was not the most appealing option!

Villa Los Mangles is good value for money for a couple who want a little independence and privacy from either a hostel or hotel setting in a clean and welcoming environment.

We didn't look at the ground floor accommodations but the reviews seem very positive.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple