“Fabulous surprise”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Very interesting... Chef comes out to each of the 6-ish table and let's you know what's available that evening. No set menus; it changes daily based on what is fresh and available. Nice wine selections (all from Mexico, and yes, very good!) and knowledgeable waiters to suggest pairings.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Given the way the menu is arranged (you pick from among a limited selection of dishes offered nightly by the chef, without a menu) you don't have to agonize about what to eat. Everything is fresh as can be and delicious. For those used to American-style fine dining, featuring fusion and excess adventure, this will be a refreshing treat - the flavors are clear and classical, excellent without being overbearing. Despite the fact you are on a seafood island, don't turn your nose up at the four legged fare - our best dish (having tried all four the night we went) was a habanero sauced flank steak. If eating more than one night on the island, El Chapulin is a must.

Be sure not to wait too long - once they're out of food, they stop accepting customers (they were done by 830 in March)!

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Excellent Mexican food, the chef comes to tell you the choices, the menu is chosen on what fish are caught that day. All the food and the service was excellent - highly recommended.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I love that the chef himself comes over to the table to deliver the 4 options on the menu that evening. As everyone else explained, there were three seafood options and one beef option. All of the meals came with spanish rice and a fruit salad. I chose the fish and my friend chose the combination (fish, mussels, scallops and shrimp). It seemed as though everything was cooked in butter, oil, and garlic, yet even my figure conscious friend had to admit that it was worth the calories. Every bite was heaven in my mouth. It was definitely the best meal I had on the island, but aside from that, it was also the best experience. The service was impeccable and the price ($200- $220 mexican pesos for each meal) was not disproportionate. If you are visiting Holbox, you must have dinner here!!!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I really cannot say enough (positive) about our experience here. The evening we were there, the restaurant had four options, 3 seafood one beef. It was great to speak to the chef while ordering and have some interaction with him and the other staff member while eating. Our meals were extremely fresh, delicious and seemed to be made with few (but high quality) ingredients. As I've titled my post, it really was one of the best meals I've had a restaurant. It does not take reservations or credit cards so bring cash, 2 entrée’s, drinks and 1 dessert came to approx. 750 peso’s for us.