“Octopus to die for!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rosa Mexicano

Rosa Mexicano
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Kids, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Octopus to die for!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

The grilled octopus was excellent!! The chicken mole was dry & you couldn't even taste the goat cheese filling. Chocolate tamale dessert was it die for!! Waiter brought us a mexican coffee we didn't order, 95 pesos added to our bill. The mixed drinks are super expensive!! Drink before you go!! Overall good experience, would go back!

• Hungarian first
Auckland
“Eat elsewhere.......”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We went here for dinner only because my traveling companion said it was the second best restaurant on Holbox and we simply had to try it. So try it we did. Unfortunately, we were both very disappointed.

The guacamole to start was good. However the mains were both confusing and disappointing. I had the Mixed Grill comprising tenderloin, shrimp, squid and scallops. What I was expecting was a dish of grilled tenderloin, shrimp, squid and scallops. What I got was about five strips of tenderloin upon a bed rice. What happened to the seafood I asked myself? Then I realized that if I approached the rice with much care, I could see minuscule bits of shrimp and squid. It was hard to say what type of seafood the bits were as firstly, they were too small to differentiate between them and secondly, the flavor of any seafood was drowned by the thick flavored sauce comprising the rice.

My companions dish was the tostadas which easily looked liked it could if come out of any contemporary European cafe. Shame it didn't taste like it. Isn't a tostadas dish supposed to be served with a tortilla? This one didn't. Very confusing.

Lastly, I ordered a piña colada. This was the worst piña colada that I've ever had. Actually it's insulting to the customer to even misleading to even call it one.

In summary, a substandard meal which is expensive by Mexican standards. Much better more local places to have dinner which don't reek of a 'tourist trap' that this did.

Visited May 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Great location just on the south side of the square. Outdoor dining table. Menu was a bit Mexican fusion with an 80s American twist (e.g. Coconut shrimp). Some of the elements - sauces and rice - tasted boxed, not fresh. Overall the food was okay, but there are much better places, so I'm surprised this ranks so high.

New York City, New York
“Great Fusion Food!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We enjoyed our dinner at Rosa Mexicano in Holbox. They have very interesting items on their menu. The service was prompt. The food delicious. The ceviche was yummy!

St. John's, Canada
“Delicious Mexican Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We ate lunch and dinner here during our week in Holbox. Both meals were excellent with attentive and friendly service. Highly recommend it!

Visited April 2014