“Deserve a real stop everything break? - Go to Casa Sandra”

CasaSandra Boutique Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Holbox Island
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just back, early December 2013, from Isla Holbox and possibly the best boutique hotel experience in Mexico.
Reading through some peculiarly acid reviews below (which seem to date from 2009) clearly MUCH has changed in the years since then - don't be put off, this is now small hotel excellence.
Management, staff and above all a chef firing on all 12 cylinders make this a proper relaxation experience. Arrive by boat from the mainland and then by unique golf cart taxi, over sandy roads, on a tropical night, every star visible, and fall into Casa Sandra's charms for a few days - it's not cheap, but at this quality, how could it be?!
Yes, Holbox is essentially a very few square kilometers of some sand and mangrove trees; and yes, we had post-storm seaweed piled up on to the north shore, and yes, it's 35 bumpy minutes small boat ride across that bay and that comes after a rough road 2+ hours from Cancun airport - but that's why it's remote, private and peaceful ... Want a glitzy easily accessible modern concrete resort? Go stay in Cancun!
But ..... Want to see the local fishermen bring the freshest Caribbean/Gulf fish into the restaurant? Want to see every kind of large sea bird fishing just 5 meters from you in shallow warm waters? Or watch iguanas lazing around next to the (perfect) hotel pool? Or enjoy spoiling staff service in large, comfortable, suites with reliable a/c? Then just get over to the Yucatan and fight to get yourselves booked onto Isla Holbox and into Casa Sandra.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C J T
PJsMM, Director Comercial at CasaSandra Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear guest; Thank you so much for your review, we always get very excited when we read reviews such as yours, as this confirms that our main purpose and goal in CasaSandra was served. We hope to have you back in the near future for another relaxing experience.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

When I need to completely unplug, I head to Holbox. I first went to CasaSandra a few years ago, needing a major break. When I arrived, I immediately took off my shoes and didn't put them back on for six days. Staff is super accommodating, beach is 27 miles of white sand that stretches forever, and I went to bed early and woke early. I've returned to CasaSandra more than four times over the years. Eva the director is amazing, and the property is owned by Sandra Perez Lozano, an amazing artist and singer/songwriter from Havana. Her art graces the walls, and she is there often as well. You should go to CasaSandra expecting to have a 100% low-key, relaxed holiday. Working in the fashion industry, I'm constantly attending events and styling what I should wear - on Holbox, nobody cares and I brought only one bikini, a t-shirt and ended up buying a pareo from the cute selection of items they have for sale in reception. I wore the same thing every day, didn't wear make-up my entire trip and felt so reinvigorated and relaxed, it's like staying in your own private home. Nobody bothers you, and staff is certainly there, but unobtrusive. I love the food as well, and had fresh fruit every morning, a green juice (ask for the welcome drink without sugar), and then a gorgeous piece of fresh fish or ceviche for lunch. Alonso the chef was wonderfully accommodating for my vegetarian/pescetarian lifestyle and I would get on a plane and go back to the relaxing spot time and time again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear guest: That is exactly what CasaSandra and Holbox are there for, to unplug. Thank you so much for your review and for coming back year after year. Sandra Perez (quote) "Mi casa es su casa".

Reviewed 5 December 2013

i enjoyed every single day i spent in Holbox, Eva and the rest of CasaSandra staff made my staying as good as it can get. Location is just perfect, the food the atention, every detail is taken care of. I´ll love to come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear guest: How pleasant it is to hear you had a wonderful experience at CasaSandra, the staff and Eva send their regards and thanks for your review, please do come back we will be waiting for you,

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just came back ¨again¨ from this gorgeous small boutique hotel and let me tell you, theres no other property Ill rather stay when visiting this beautiful island. When visiting Holbox, your goal should be to be in contact with nature and yourself, take your shoes off, laid back, relax and let CasaSandra staff take care of the rest, Im sure youll will really appreciate and enjoy the daily breakfast included, the outdoor pool and all the delicious mexican specialities they'll prepare right on site (quiet a few people we met from other hotels coming for lunch or romantic dinners at the beach). I got to see different rooms and really like them all, beds are very nice and comfy and spacious bathroom with organic amenities (bring your own bug repellent if rainy season). Cant want to come back

Room Tip: Not all room are beach front, if this is important for you, make sure you write your request down at...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest: First of all thank you for coming back, and thank you for your wonderful review, we will be waiting for your next visit.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The first impression of Casa Sandra was very good. We arrived and were received with complimentary drinks. The hotel is very well present and full of cool art work to look, very unique.
We went to our room which was beautiful decorated with flowers and candles (as it was our honeymoon). However immediately we notice that the air conditioner wasn't working properly and the room was extremely hot. The receptionist that took us to the room made a comment about it apologising, so we thought that this problem would be resolved soon. We also notice that only one of our luggage where in the room, the remaining bags had been left behind at the hall of the hotel, where anyone could get in and take it. So my partner went to the reception asking for the remained luggage.
We went out and when we came back the air conditioner (A/C) wasn't fixed. We couldn't open the window because the Island was recovering from a flood and was infested with mosquitoes, also the smell of the ocean was putrid, a mix of dead fish and sewage. We left the bedroom to have dinner at the hotel, which was very good, but at the time to sign the bill they were charging us an extra water we let the waiter know and it was very hard to convince her that we didn't consume that water. We had looked for someone at the reception to talk about the A/C didn't have anyone available. So at 11PM when we came back to bedroom and notice that the A/C wasn't fixed we went down the reception and they sent us to a inferior room for the night, which had a strong smell of cigarettes.
In the morning they promise to fix our A/C or put us in a similar room, similar because we were at the best room of the hotel. We decided to go for a wonder in a bicycle that the hotel offer for guests, but the same receptionist that didn't care for our A/C was with a group of people and asked us to wait for 5 minutes. We waited for 20 minutes and gave up. So we ended up walking to our destination. Also I asked the receptionist about my hat that I left at the pool a day before and she said that I would have to wait until later when the barman arrive to get the hat that was in the pool bar (that she has access to it but couldn't be bothered get it or asking someone to get it, just like the bicycles).
When we came back after lunch I wanted to have a little sleep, but didn't happened because the A/C wasn't fixed and it was unbearable stay inside of the room, went to the reception again to talk about it and of course they were trying to resolve. We went to the pool and the barman gave me back my hat. He was very helpful and polite.
At night time they finally said to us that the A/C couldn't be fixed and moved us to another room, a little bit inferior. My husband had to carry two of our luggage up and down to the next room. In this room the shower was mouldy and the curtain from the shower didn't hold the water properly flooding the bathroom. The sheets were damp and the balcony door didn't open.
When we went to check out they charged for the outstanding balance of the room which we already payed a month in advanced and luckily we had the bank statement printed.
After all that no one said I'm sorry, or any type of apologies were made, very disappointing.
The hotel has good qualities, but for the amount of money that we payed I expected much much more.

Room Tip: The basic rooms smell cigarettes
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Flavia W

Dear guest: We thank you for your review on your visit to CasaSandra, we truly regret the inconveniences you experienced on our behalf we can say that we work very hard to attend our guests needs as our goal is that you have a wonderful experience, this may sometimes not be the result of our efforts. We hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in the future. Best regards.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Great place to go swim with the Whale Sharks and much much more but not a party town. Takes awhile to get there 2 1/2 drive from cancan and a 45min boat ride to holbox but well worth it. You could fly there and get there in 45min landing on all coral landing strip and they will come you up in a golf cart and drive you to Casa Sandra.

• Stayed: October 2012
PJsMM, Director Comercial at CasaSandra Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Guest: Thank you so much for your review, in fact Holbox and CasaSandra are a quiet retreat where you can get away from it all. We are happy to know you enjoyed the beautiful surroundings. Please do visit us again. Best regards.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days there and we purchased a couples package which included transfer to and from the Cancun airport, ferry to Holbox Island and taxi to the hotel on the island; Whale shark swimming tour and a romantic dinner on the beach.
From the moment I spoke to them to inquire my experience was of a laid-back, caring company. Laid-back in the best of senses.
the room was nice, artfully decorated and the bathroom was the prettiest I've seen in any hotel anywhere.
We LOVED the toiletry kit (organic shampoo, conditioner, mosquito repellent, body soap, BODY LOTION was especially yummy). BRING YOUR OWN MOSQUITO REPELLENT. we brought 100% deet and it did the trick. the organic stuff didn´t repel much.
The American breakfast was tasty, remember that you can have eggs any style included in the breakfast. anything on the menu is additional.
We ate lunch and dinner several times and everything was exquisite.
The romantic dinner on the beach was IN-CRE-DI-BLE. Watermelon gazpacho, passion fruit Cebiche, the setting... what can I say.
We found the staff to be very kind and warm, the day we returned from our trip we were almost depressed, wanting to return immediately to Holbox and CasaSandra!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19, ground floor with a terrace facing the pool. the room was great, perhaps a sec...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest: Thank you so much for your wonderful review, it's pleasing to learn we at CasaSandra filled your expectations. We hope to have you back in the near future, it will be a pleasure to serve you again. Best regards.