Just back, early December 2013, from Isla Holbox and possibly the best boutique hotel experience in Mexico.
Reading through some peculiarly acid reviews below (which seem to date from 2009) clearly MUCH has changed in the years since then - don't be put off, this is now small hotel excellence.
Management, staff and above all a chef firing on all 12 cylinders make this a proper relaxation experience. Arrive by boat from the mainland and then by unique golf cart taxi, over sandy roads, on a tropical night, every star visible, and fall into Casa Sandra's charms for a few days - it's not cheap, but at this quality, how could it be?!
Yes, Holbox is essentially a very few square kilometers of some sand and mangrove trees; and yes, we had post-storm seaweed piled up on to the north shore, and yes, it's 35 bumpy minutes small boat ride across that bay and that comes after a rough road 2+ hours from Cancun airport - but that's why it's remote, private and peaceful ... Want a glitzy easily accessible modern concrete resort? Go stay in Cancun!
But ..... Want to see the local fishermen bring the freshest Caribbean/Gulf fish into the restaurant? Want to see every kind of large sea bird fishing just 5 meters from you in shallow warm waters? Or watch iguanas lazing around next to the (perfect) hotel pool? Or enjoy spoiling staff service in large, comfortable, suites with reliable a/c? Then just get over to the Yucatan and fight to get yourselves booked onto Isla Holbox and into Casa Sandra.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For a long time owner, Sandra, wanted to write by the sea. She went in search of a remote world, quiet, where the blue was obvious. One day, she landed in Cancun and the attraction of the Mayan land was overwhelming. She took a small plane and flew over the island of Holbox.Nothing was more attractive to her than the Feast of the colors of nature, barefoot fishermen with their gold teeth, women weaving hammocks or sheathed with their heels in the sand. "I want to do something here, " she said and began to imagine in her head this project now called "the hotel with a human touch" on this very beach.The land of more than 150 species of birds, whale shark, or Damero world's largest fish, mangroves in each corner, all were an inspiration to this artist.Then she wanted to welcome friends from around the world and to express, through a hotel on the island of Holbox, a point of view on life: "peace and art are a great treasure for humans. " Because of this she thought of a place that is romantic, sexy, creative, where the personalized, warm, rustic atmosphere in a luxurious twenty rooms that look to the sea, where one could meet the privacy and whims of its guests. All done out of love and passion. The same place where one can dream and create, and in the best case, where one can rest.The joy of giving and expressing a new way of caring for guests, has been the commitment of the hotel. Every detail has a reason: from the small art gallery with paintings by renowned artists to the beautiful furniture that inhabit the halls.Feelings, emotions, poetry, touches of color, aromas of black coffee, hammocks, fabric on the balconies, fluffy sheets, the sea at every angle, and romantic evenings create the magic of the "place of your dreams." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your CasaSandra Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Sandra Hotel Holbox Island
- Casa Sandra Holbox Island