“The perfect island getaway--relaxed, calm. Simpy perfect.”

Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Holbox Island
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My best friend and I meet once a year for an annual Girls Gone Mild weekend. GIven the nature of our lives as working mothers, we prefer quiet, out of the way places where we can simply relax and enjoy the beach and island atmosphere. Casa las Tortugas was nothing short of perfect. Beautiful, creative, stylish, chic, warm, inviting, elegant....

Everyone working there was warm and inviting, attentive and helpful. The margaritas are made from FRESH fruit juices--delicious! Jonathon's were killer, btw. Your breakfast choices are easy--no big decisions on this island. You simply choose sweet or salty! All meals were fabulous..and served with a smile. And our meals always included a free Spanish lesson, thanks to multi-lingual Julie!

The hotelito was immaculate, despite the rain we encountered there. The decor is creatively crafted from local resources--mostly conch shells. The resort itself is very small...quaint and homey, welcoming and warm. The walkways are all sand but always well groomed and warmly lit by gorgeous conch shell light fixtures. I don't think we wore shoes once the entire time!! The rooms were alway clean and comfortable--the air conditioning worked well to cool us during the warmer evenings.

The beach area is beautiful and offers your choice of shady hammocks or beach beds or comfortable beach chairs and palapas in the sun. It was quiet and peaceful...truly. There is no shortage of seashells to be found along the shore and you can walk for hundreds of yards into the water on soft white sand and still be in water only slighly above your knees! The water is clear and calm--no fear of undertow surges or waves battering you as you walk! Seemed very safe for kids to enjoy the ocean, though there were no kids present on our trip.

The evenings were quiet with pleasant music playing in the Mandarina during dinner. Things quiet down completely by ten or so --this is not the place for you if your goal is an all night party. The atmosphere is romantic, peaceful and relaxing, throughout the entire island really.

We took a day tour to swim with whale sharks--another awesome experience. Though the weather was uncooperative, we did manage to swim with 3 different sharks. An experience of a lifetime and extremely reasonably priced. The guides are funloving but speak little English--but they know how to get you close to the sharks. It does take some time to reach the area where the sharks feed--seemed like 45 minutes to an hour. I'd recommend you take something for motion sickness, even if you are not prone to it--the boat sways quite a bit while idling near the sharks.

We were extremely impressed by their respect for the safety and wellbeing of the environment and the fish, requiring biodegrable sunscreens only, giving clear instructions not to touch the fish, not to litter etc. They entire island respects the natural beauty there and is seeking to protect it.

There are flamingos about a 40 minute walk from the Casa Las Torguas beach, or you can rent a golf cart to tour the area. The weather prohibitied us from enjoying either option but others who did mentioned that it was beautiful but wear bug spray!

Lastly, the Agua Spa. Lupita and Benjamin--wow. We indulged in a two hour Nourishing treatment and left feeling absolutely fabulous. The massage put me to sleep--sorry for snoring Lupita. The occasional splash fo someone in the nearby pool was the only distraction during the entire treatment. Totally relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed here for 7 nights at the end of May and it was absolutely amazing. The room was really lovely with organic toiletries in the bathroom, a private balcony with a super comfy hammock, air-con, a ceiling fan and a bed enclosed by a rather romantic mosquito net! (A standard room).

The thing that struck us most about the hotel was the attention to detail. Rooms had names instead of numbers, there were a couple of little libraries where you could borrow books, and the little pool with jacuzzi was lit up in pretty colours at night.

Also the bar/restaurant is organic. One of the evenings the staff asked if we would like a romantic meal on the upstairs terrace which was normally closed - so that made us feel quite special too. Staff in general were very friendly.

The hotel is right on the beach and you can choose between relaxing on normal loungers, a swinging double bed or hammocks. It was lovely watching the pelicans dive for fish while the sun went down over the ocean. :)

Oh yes - the transport they organised was prompt and efficient. It takes 2 hours by taxi from Cancun Airport to reach the ferry port, then another 20 minutes on the ferry to Holbox. So it is actually worth the money they charge.

All in all an excellent hotel on a gorgeous paradise island. Best holiday I have had so far!!

2  Thank BerlinJessy
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Visited Isla Holbox and stayed for a week at Casa las Tortugas May 2011. WOW. I had little to no expectation not having ever been to Holbox or even having heard of anyone who knew about Holbox Island before.

First about Casa las Tortugas though. This is a GEM of a hotelito and location. 21 rooms but not by numbers - by names such as vanilla, lavendar or hummingbird. It is right on the beach and only 2 blocks walk into the little town. It took 5 mins by golf cart or 15 mins walking across the island from the ferry dock to Casa las Tortugas.

The rooms were fantastic. Great air conditioning. Lovely views. Very clean, neat, comfortable and reasonable.

And the food and beverages were fantastic. Blueberry risotto. And the fish....unbelievable!

As you walk in, there is the pool and yoga rooms plus new kitchen, open air eating/dining room and then the office. And it is absolutely beautiful. The staff even hand sifts the sand around the hotelito each day to take out any sticks or larger stones so guests can easily go barefoot the entire visit!

Isla Holbox is so relaxing and calming. The clear, warm gulf waters with lots of unspoiled beaches to walk on. Plus all of the little restaurants in town were delicious.

I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Any room at Casa las Tortugas is a great room!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank marcwiding
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I want to thank my friends for urging me travel to Isla Holbox. I am going to through a rough period in my life and had a life changing experience. The staff at Casa Las Tortugas was incredible. I stayed in a suite with a pool view. My room was perfect. I slept well and was eaten alive by bugs----used a lot of DEET. The food on the island was fantastic. Before arriving I was not a fan of Mexican fare, but I have been converted. I did not get sick at all. My days consisted of yoga, reading, eating, sleeping and drinking---oh, and never looking at my watch. I checked my email once on the entire trip. Leave your cell phone home. Best vacation of my life. Isla Holbx/CLT perfectly safe place for solo/female traveler. I would highly recommend to all. Also, take a look at the Isla Holbox travel forums before you go. Tremendous amount of information from the local residents. Yoga classes were great too!

Reviewed 24 May 2011

It would take me a very long time to write a review that would do Las Tortugas justice. I will keep this short and sweet (because i am at work) Stay here! From the beach, the staff, the rooms, the food, the service, the view (oh god the view! amazing). This was our first trip to Holbox and it exceeded my expectations. My fiancee and I couldn't have been more pleased with our choice. We have already planned our return trip for the fall. We looked at other hotels on the island and only about 1 or 2 others compare to Las Tortugas. Great value for the money--- From soup to nuts you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank morbier85
Reviewed 21 May 2011

we checked Tripadvisor in order to find the best place possible in HolBox and it lead us straight to this place (usually we trust Tripadvisor in making such decisions)...however, this time, it was far off from being right. we checked in last night and we asked the receptionist if we could stay one more night and if we could make the decision in the morning, the receptionist told us that it was perfectly ok to make it in the morning we just have to let them know and they would respect the price. The next morning, we went in and told them that we decided to stay and there was a different person (with a spanish accent) and told us that we have to move to a much expensive room. it took about 45 minutes to get to an agreement with us moving to the next room category with a 15% discount (offered by the person who checked us when we got in. this person was very understanding and polite opposite to the other person (with the spanish accent-meaning from Spain)...overall this incident did not go well with us that they did not clarify things to start with and wanted to move us to a different room with a different price. we thought that they should have paid for their own mistake (it was not our mistake that they did not meet their end of the deal), plus the way the spanish person spoke to us was not acceptable at all. bottom line we do not recommend it to anyone else. we won't go back. note: I tried to pain the picture in a more polite way, its was much worse that I depicted it.

5  Thank tim_mgeed
Reviewed 20 May 2011

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 7 night stay at Casa las Tortugas. I booked this accomodation because they have Yoga classes 4 mornings a week, and it had a great pool, plus a quaint atmosphere. We did book our own transfers from Cancun Airport at a cheaper price, which is a 2. 5hour drive, then 30 minute ferry ride to Isla Holbox- at $125.00 each way. We arrived late, the check in sevice was really nice, and you recieve a free welcome drink.
The restuarant at Casa las Tortugas is excellent. Very fresh foods and diverse menu, with a cheerful and pleasant staff.
We stayed in the Luna Room, which was about 90.00 US per night with Fridge. We were disappointed with our balcony when we arrived as it had one hard chair and a hammock and the balcony was realy narrow- so not good to hang out on- but just downstairs, there is a wonderful area in the garden to play cards, with fresh flowers, birds and hammocks. There were no bugs there at all this time of year. That was a nice surpise.

We spend a lot of money on bottled water because there is no water available in the room, so we just made trips to the store next door to get water to brush our teeth and drink, plus stock a little beer and a few snacks in the fridge.

Our bed was very comfortable. The maid service was great each day. The place is really clean and all staff is friendly and seem real happy working there.

The hotel is on the beach- with nice hammocks, padded lawn chairs and palapas, with tables for drinks, and cool hanging beds with curtains- very special touch on Isla Holbox.

The beach is very well maintained, the staff actually sifts the shells through a strainer each morning. We loved walking around the whole place barefoot all week- totally safe!

Breakfast is included each morning with our rate- which was a nice bread or eggs with fruit, coffee and juice- that was really awesome!

The pool had hippster lights at night-purple and pink- neat!

The yoga is with Nellie by the pool for 10.00 US at 9:00 AM- very pleasant setting, and she a good instructor that teaches a flow style, pretty strenouous, she does good adjustments- hour and 1/2 class- they do have mats there but I brought my own.

Get ready to spend some $ on Isla Holbox- the food and drink is same as any American Resort town, but everyone there was really friendly, safe, good hippie girl shopping, and the locals seemed pleasant and welcoming.

The various tours are also pricey and we were not quite sure what we were getting- we went kayaking one day which was really cool, but 55.00 per person for 2 hours- a bit much- then remember it's Mexico, so if they cancel on you for snokeling or whatever, they don't bother to let you know.... so you just sit there and wait- we did see a Whale Shark on a two hour boat ride out to sea- pretty long boat ride for a Shark and $.

Not a lot of Americans there, bring some floaties from Walmart from the sea, a frisbee, cards, some games and good books to read.

It's a special place- enjoy!