My best friend and I meet once a year for an annual Girls Gone Mild weekend. GIven the nature of our lives as working mothers, we prefer quiet, out of the way places where we can simply relax and enjoy the beach and island atmosphere. Casa las Tortugas was nothing short of perfect. Beautiful, creative, stylish, chic, warm, inviting, elegant....
Everyone working there was warm and inviting, attentive and helpful. The margaritas are made from FRESH fruit juices--delicious! Jonathon's were killer, btw. Your breakfast choices are easy--no big decisions on this island. You simply choose sweet or salty! All meals were fabulous..and served with a smile. And our meals always included a free Spanish lesson, thanks to multi-lingual Julie!
The hotelito was immaculate, despite the rain we encountered there. The decor is creatively crafted from local resources--mostly conch shells. The resort itself is very small...quaint and homey, welcoming and warm. The walkways are all sand but always well groomed and warmly lit by gorgeous conch shell light fixtures. I don't think we wore shoes once the entire time!! The rooms were alway clean and comfortable--the air conditioning worked well to cool us during the warmer evenings.
The beach area is beautiful and offers your choice of shady hammocks or beach beds or comfortable beach chairs and palapas in the sun. It was quiet and peaceful...truly. There is no shortage of seashells to be found along the shore and you can walk for hundreds of yards into the water on soft white sand and still be in water only slighly above your knees! The water is clear and calm--no fear of undertow surges or waves battering you as you walk! Seemed very safe for kids to enjoy the ocean, though there were no kids present on our trip.
The evenings were quiet with pleasant music playing in the Mandarina during dinner. Things quiet down completely by ten or so --this is not the place for you if your goal is an all night party. The atmosphere is romantic, peaceful and relaxing, throughout the entire island really.
We took a day tour to swim with whale sharks--another awesome experience. Though the weather was uncooperative, we did manage to swim with 3 different sharks. An experience of a lifetime and extremely reasonably priced. The guides are funloving but speak little English--but they know how to get you close to the sharks. It does take some time to reach the area where the sharks feed--seemed like 45 minutes to an hour. I'd recommend you take something for motion sickness, even if you are not prone to it--the boat sways quite a bit while idling near the sharks.
We were extremely impressed by their respect for the safety and wellbeing of the environment and the fish, requiring biodegrable sunscreens only, giving clear instructions not to touch the fish, not to litter etc. They entire island respects the natural beauty there and is seeking to protect it.
There are flamingos about a 40 minute walk from the Casa Las Torguas beach, or you can rent a golf cart to tour the area. The weather prohibitied us from enjoying either option but others who did mentioned that it was beautiful but wear bug spray!
Lastly, the Agua Spa. Lupita and Benjamin--wow. We indulged in a two hour Nourishing treatment and left feeling absolutely fabulous. The massage put me to sleep--sorry for snoring Lupita. The occasional splash fo someone in the nearby pool was the only distraction during the entire treatment. Totally relaxing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beachfront boutique hotel, run by Italian family. 21 charming new rooms, Spa, Yoga center,Kiteboard school, Beach club and organic restaurant. The design influence of Francesca and her mother Greta is evident in the hotel’s 21 romantic rooms and suites, from the carefully sourced antiques and local artisan-made colonial-style furniture to the fine linens and contemporary twist on traditional Mexican fabrics. It’s a ‘bohemian-chic’ feel that fits perfectly with the relaxed ambiance of the resort. Add in roomy double-loungers and palapa daybeds on the beach – as well as a spacious new pool – and you have the perfect formula for lusciously lazy days. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Agoda so you can book your Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel Holbox Island
- Casa Las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel And Spa
- Hotelito Casa Las Tortugas Hotel