I had to think long and hard about this one to be fair and honest.
This hotel had a lot of good.
The property is one of the prettiest on Holbox, located convenient to walk to anything in town, right on the beach with a pool in an area with less biting bugs because they are void of the sand grasses. The rooms are unique, beautiful and clean. There is a Hostal next door and all that implies, so every evening is not so quiet and peaceful with music sometimes until the early morning hours.
We had a Master Suite and never find a photo and when emailed for one, we were told they did not have, so I posted many. They also confirmed it was not ocean view but it was and a very lovely view at that. You do have to climb two flights of stairs to access it and the second set is very open staircase made of small wood steps and branch railings, just an FYI to be warned. The fridge in the room was convenient but makes aloud popping sound every 20 minutes and we had to unplug at night. We would have let them know but when we told them they gave us a coffee maker that didn’t work we never received a replacement.
If you have breakfast included, the wait staff is friendly and you are offered three selections to choose from. The fruit cup with yogurt and granola, coffee, toast & homemade jam is yummy. The egg choices were over salted, every day. Otherwise eat in town, where your selection, quality and value are much better.
The beach area is lovely, fine white powdery sand, with water always three shades of Jade. You can walk out in the water for ages before your feet miss the sandy bottom. There are small ballyhoo, puffers and sand rays hanging close to shore but the visibility is good you will see them and they are not a bother. The beach furniture needs work. It is peeling, rusty, stained and splintering. A very petit girl from the Netherlands leaned back in her lounger and the back just broke, sending her to the ground shocked! The beach is also open to everyone and their dogs. FYI to be careful what you could step in.
The pool is small but nice and very welcome as you sometimes need a break from the saltwater and the sand. The drawback, even though there is sign posted for Hotel guests only, the employees use it, their families use and the guests at the Hostal next door use it. I am not a snob but for $200 a night I would like to use the pool.
The spa is wonderful, the treatments are wonderful and Benjamin and Julietta are wonderful! Make it a point to visit them for at least one treatment. You will be better for it. The Yoga with Nellie is also a treat!
The service was the problem. My boyfriend had a special evening prearranged with the hotel for a romantic beach side dinner with a local basket placed in the room for a special occasion. It never happened and when he questioned why not he was told he didn’t confirm it but I have seen the email stating from the Hotel “all set, 7pm, Wednesday the 22nd”. We waited daily to go the Whale Shark tour but would wake up (early to meet the boat) to a sticky note stuck on the door saying it was canceled, no one talked to us about it, we had to continually ask and then we called Cancun to find out what the problem was. We booked round trip transportation to and from Cancun but as we were settling our bill we were told we never booked the return and then had to pay more money, and we had the confirmation of the booking. We inquired to check out a day early because we live in an area where Hurricane Isaac was approaching and thought best to get back to take care of things, we were told that they would charge us the whole night even if we left, are you kidding??? It’s called Force Majeure and every hotel in the world accepts it. We had no apologies until we were putting our bags in the Taxi to leave. Then they were concerned we were leaving mad…… and yes we did. Leaving a bad memory to what could have been a delightful experience. I run a hotel and even if you think the guest is wrong they are not and when the guest is right you fall over them to apologize and make up for it, that is what you do. You don’t argue with the guest, tell them they are wrong and ignore them, because they will post it on TripAdvisor! Unfortunately for this I would not go back or recommend. The other petit hotels on other islands and locations of Mexico do it better!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beachfront boutique hotel, run by Italian family. 21 charming new rooms, Spa, Yoga center,Kiteboard school, Beach club and organic restaurant. The design influence of Francesca and her mother Greta is evident in the hotel’s 21 romantic rooms and suites, from the carefully sourced antiques and local artisan-made colonial-style furniture to the fine linens and contemporary twist on traditional Mexican fabrics. It’s a ‘bohemian-chic’ feel that fits perfectly with the relaxed ambiance of the resort. Add in roomy double-loungers and palapa daybeds on the beach – as well as a spacious new pool – and you have the perfect formula for lusciously lazy days. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel And Spa
- Casa Las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel Holbox Island
- Hotelito Casa Las Tortugas Hotel