“Perfect (except those damn electricity cuts)”

Hostel & Cabanas Ida y Vuelta Camping
Helsinki, Finland
“Perfect (except those damn electricity cuts)”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

First impression after long travel from D.F. was that "this is paradise" and it was. The cabanas were super cute and clean. Lovely relaxing areas and nice kitchen. Nice and helpful staff. Only 1 minute walk from the beach, 5 minute walk from the center. Only minus was that in 2 out of 3 nights the electricity and water was cut.. and with those temperatus, the nights were rather awful. However, I think electricity problem was with the whole island.. (?)

Room Tip: Price different between dorms and privates are rather small so we went with a private. Perfect littl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hebrew first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We arrived to Hostel & Cabanas early morning and must say that first impression was really good. How bad! We had to wait for a room quite a while because some other people just checked out and had to be cleaned. Hostel is relatively far (for Holbox standard) from the sea side but we don't mind walking so that wasn't an issue.
Room was attached to the kitchen and from the early morning till midnight we HAD TO listen other people shouting, cooking noises and music we didn't want to listen to but had no choice. No one never mentioned that is so noisy when we were offered the room. After short discussion with the guy in reception - I suppose he was managing this place - he said that kitchen will be closed from 10pm. They closed kitchen for our good as we could finally sleep a bit but announced to everybody that kitchen will be because of our complaint. We could hear conversation from our room and even recorded it ;)
Next day when I told him that this is not the way of doing business as from the morning people were giving us deadly looks, he denied everything and called me a liar! After that what happened I asked for refund of the rest of my stay but he refused and offered me room which was actually worse than the first one. We obviously left this place loosing money and will never come back there again! Ever! I hope he will be eaten alive by mosquitoes and sand flies which are everywhere on the site!
Never been treated this way! This happened to me before from Panama to mainland Mexico lovely people and fantastic hostels!
Holbox is gorgeous but if you want to enjoy it STAY AWAY FROM THAT HOSTEL as management has no manners or respect to their customers. Horrible experience!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Be P
HolboxHostel, Manager at Hostel & Cabanas Ida y Vuelta Camping, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
HI guys, thanks for the review. I agree with you that the room close to the kitchen is noisy if people are looking for even silence. However, few guests complained for that because the kitchen always closes at 22.30. We understand your point but have to precise that you knew that before taking it because the kitchen was already there when you checked in. Additionally to that, as we found out together the next day, none of our employees made the comment, it was another guest. If you are scared by "deadly looks", you cannot come along with them and you wish other people to get eaten alive by mosquitoes I feel is a good decision to not come again here. Our hostel is made of piece, love and social sharing. You were from the beginning not part of that world and maybe this is the reason why you insult and are so angry about the whole situation. By the way, the money you decided to loose it because you did not want to stay, neighter change room. Both options were suggested to you. Anyway Pinocchio, from my side I wish you the best.
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Isla Holbox is a beautiful island and Ida Y Vuelta camping is a gorgeous looking place to stay. Reception staff and cleaning staff were lovely and helpful.

I can only say be wary of booking your whale shark tours through the accommodation, and paying more for the 'guarantee' of 'better service' than what is offered by tour agencies in the town.
We raised concerns with the manager regarding this and can honesty say we have never been treated so rudely and disdainfully as we were here. .. Taking into account we had been backpacking through south and Central America for 7 weeks prior to staying here.
Stay tuned for managements rebuttal of this review as we were informed he would 'fight it hard' and can see from previous negative reviews that Criticism is not taken constructively...
I also see that a fellow traveller has reported something similar.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank ARN88
HolboxHostel, General Manager at Hostel & Cabanas Ida y Vuelta Camping, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Hi guys, same as for your friends that wrote on the 18th of July, we feel sorry about what happened in the tour you four had but at the same time we are happy that you liked the hostel (check it out for memories www.holboxhostel.com).

It's funny because you write like you don't know each other while you were together, on the same boat. We talked to you more than one hour after you explained your feelings, trying to put again a smile on your face. Unfortunately we did not manage. Hope somebody else does. Don't get angry, enjoy your holiday and forget about the inconvenience. Except asking you sorry like we did, these is the only tip I can give to you. At the end, your girlfriend told me personally that this experience was really nice except the detail of the box lunch and few others. You saw Whale sharks, manta rays, dolphins, flamingos, turtles, Punta mosquito Point, Cabo catoche, the river of Boca Paola and much more… here is our tour if you don’t remember http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNE7ys6CFkQ.

Please, don't see only the tree in front of you, look at the forest behind the tree :-) Sometimes, even though you try your best things don't go like you wish. We cannot go back to change what went wrong but we can learn from it. And we did!

I agree with you in many aspects, but I still believe is not fair from your side telling lies to make your point. In fact we always answer negative reviews according to our feelings and experience and we are always keen on criticism as a boost for our improvements. We always evaluate bad situations carefully, seeing what could go wrong and what could be improved. If it is possible we shape our operational management so that these problems never occur again. Sometimes is just about expectations and nothing can be changed in the product, only in the selling procedure. We will do that as well!

I talked to you quietly, respecting your point of view, for more than one hour. I therefore don’t understand why do you lie telling that I spoke rudely and disdainfully. That’s a bad attitude and too much personal in my opinion. That is your way of handling reviews, "fight hard” to get more public. You did quite well in explaining the issue and you could have avoided getting childish. I am almost convinced that once you will be relaxed and more in piece with the situation you will understand that your words are far more heavy than what you wanted. We are not the only one that must learn something. Everybody does! And you are not an exception. Reviews are important to help businesses to improve but must be objectively true. Lies are part of the game but we do not deserve them. Anyway, thanks guys for helping us out improving our services or at least one aspect of them: expectations.

Take care. Cheers, David
Horning, Denmark
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in the family-cabana with our two sons. It was a nice and big cabana, and we enjoyed the space and the two bedrooms in the cabana. Everything worked well, and David, the italian owner/manager was good at giving advises and he arranged our whalesharktrip. We had a great trip, and went in the water with the big "monsters". No one could stop the current and the big waves, so 5 out of 9 on our boat got seasick. We enjoyed the trip back from the whalesharkspot with good snorkelling and excellent ceviche..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mette l
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

4 star review for the accommodation.
1 star for the Tour which we booked through Ida Y Vuelta Hostel.

Trip advisor is all about giving other travelers honest and helpful feedback. Different opinions and experiences are shared and I feel the importance of what I'm about to say must be heard.
I cannot complain about the accommodation of Ida Y Vuelta. Our bungalow (w. air con) was wonderful, clean and comfortable. After 3 months of rough and cheap backpacking through Central America this was a little treat for my birthday.
Unfortunately, the tour we booked through Ida Y Vuelta Hostel was very disappointing to say the least.
The tour that they sold us, and the tour we experienced on the day were two very different things.

Reception informed us that the tour could be found for cheaper on the island than they were offering, yet although theirs was more expensive, for this price we were promised: Food in the morning, only 8 people maximum on the boat (apparently less than other tours which meant more time in the water with the whale sharks), a spot with the whale sharks much further than most of the other boats, a packed lunch, ceviche, snorkeling time at a different area, 1 hour stop at the river before heading back.
For us the major selling point was the fact that there would be less people on the boat and more time with the whale sharks. We were told all other tours finished around 2-2.30pm because they had afternoon tours as well but ours would be later around 4.30pm, so my partner and two other friends decided to spend the extra money for my birthday and book through the hostel.
We received: instant coffee on arrival and a few biscuits (which my friend couldn't eat anyway even though we had specifically stated she was allergic to gluten before the tour) We had 13 people on our boat - 11 people on tour then a captain, a tour guide under the Banana Boat Tour company. The "further spot" where we got to see the whale sharks had so many tour boats packed into one area it was hard not to feel we were invading these beautiful creatures. It was not until 1pm we were finally were given something to eat (a single piece of fruit) and stopped at a snorkeling spot with all the other tour boats. The snorkeling was terrible and the only fish we saw were because the tour guides on the boats were throwing food into the water. The "caves" we were told about were just flat rocks. When we got to the river where we were meant to have the longer stop, we were the last tour boat to come in and the first to leave... 10minutes later. We were given ceviche but felt like it was all a rush. Then it was a speedy boat ride back to the jetty and we hopped off the boat exactly 2.30pm, two hours early.
The experience as a whole was very disappointing and we did not feel satisfied with the amount of money we spent.
We spoke diplomatically to the manager of the hotel, David, where we booked the tour through and where we had been provided all the information about the tour beforehand. He chased up Banana Boat company and his friend the captain. They lied and stated that there had been 8 of us on the boat plus 3 translators but they said they would refund us 100 pesos for the packed lunch and supposedly "10 minutes" that we lost. The three extra people that were on the boat were NOT by any means English translaters. It was a Swiss dad with his two kids on holiday. It is scary to think that trust and support were going towards a tour company who obviously lie and easily pocket the money they receive from the extra people on the boat.
I really didnt want to sit here and write this review but I feel that we weren't being heard and the feeling of being cheated is something I don't wish any other traveler to go through. So please, be very cautious about booking Tours of the whale sharks - make sure you are stated exactly what the tour involves so that your expectations can be met. This is not a personal attack, I am purely writing this feedback in the hope that there will be improvement in the future.
Thanks, Katie

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank travelkatiekate
Hi Katie, it’s David. Thanks for the nice comments about the hostel, we are happy that you liked it. On the other hand we feel bad about the fact that your tour did not go along with your expectations. We agree with you on most of the contents, especially what you tell about the box lunch. The fishermen forgot even though we told him. Apologize from both sides! We always welcome complaints and suggestions and take them into consideration We never “fight hard” like your friend is telling in another comment, we always try to understand and improve. However, as you have experienced, we are working on a remote island where tourism just began and sometimes these things unfortunately happen. It wasn’t meant to be and I hope you understand that. Your expectations might have been a bit too high because of your birthday and we feel bad if you feel we oversold the tour. We have many satisfied customers who have great experiences with the whale sharks and on the tours.

The Eco project we are handling is quite hard because it has to do with local fishermen that were never guides. We are learning, together with them, that everybody is different. For instance after you left we asked the other participants that were still here and they had an amazing time. It was your birthday and everything had to be perfect. It wasn’t and I am sorry. Thanks to your comments in the future we will manage expectations better and try to not overpromise. Sometimes people misunderstand enthusiasm with overpromising. I think that was the main problem.

Last but not least I would like to mention (in order to be 100% objective) that we gave you back 150 pesos each person for the inconvenience and additionally we offered you a free tour of the island, which for any reasons you did not accept. This you did not mention, while I think it would have been correct to list this in your comments. We do everything possible to make the stay of our customers a lifetime experience and we are truly sorry we couldn’t achieve that with you. We wish you the best for the future. Sincerely, david
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I was here for almost two weeks, the island is so beautiful we could not leave, and this place made our stay particularly special. The owners, David and Sasha, really make an every day effort to keep the place going and they do a wonderfull job.
The place is beautiful, surrounded by nature, only a block away from the amazing beach and walkimg distance from the main square.
I was with my boyfriend and a friend, we stayed for almost a week in the hammocks (really comfortable and they come with a bug net repelent that works perfectlly) and then moved one of the shared rooms. Both options are really good, the room was very spacious and clean, eventhough they have sand floors.
The bathrooms are great, always clean and with hot water showers. The kitchen is big enough, very well equipped and with drinkable water available for guests.
Honestly, we felt at home at the whole time. The couple has two beautiful girls that are sometimes playing around the hostel, and the are willing to help with anything they can.
Best thing: the hammocks in the common area under the 'palapa', great to chill out after a beach day or during a rainy dau.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Mexico
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We have stayed at Ida y Vuelta for three times and every time it was perfect! Clean rooms, beautiful people and a great time. David and Sasha make you feel right at home. One tip: Make sure to bring some anti-mosquito lotion, but that's something you need for entire Isla Holbox.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabana with open windows (but good curtains) you'll get used to the temperature quicke...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple