“Beach Perfection”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holbox Island
Holbox Hotel Mawimbi
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Holbox Island
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I still have sand between my toes! We just returned tonight from 7 nights at Posada Mawimbi, and I miss it already. This perfect little hotel is located on a little bit of paradise, Isla Holbox. This year we spent 4 nights in Cancun to try one end of the beach scale, and then the 7 nights in Holbox for the other end. A great beach vacation.

Hotel Mawimbi is so laid back I struggled to put shoes on this afternoon. You take your shoes off at Mawimbi, and don't put them on until you put on your flip-flops to walk to a new restaurant in the evening. The staff are wonderful, and everyone works hard to make your stay perfect. The recent long rainy season in Mexico, has had an impact on the beaches in Holbox, and they're working to clear them. The closest roads leading to Holbox have been washed out causing an extra 1 1/2 hours on your transit time from Cancun. This is tedious but the destination is wonderful.

Mawimbi earns it's tripadvisor #1 rating in Isla Holbox. If you haven't been "Go", if you have been "Go Again".

Room Tip: Try one of the rooms fronting on the beach...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank George M

Reviewed 12 December 2013

My boyfriend and I made our first trip to Holbox Island in October of this year. We stayed at Hotel Mawimbi for only 2 nights, due to us traveling to other parts of Mexico. However, out of the 2 weeks we were in Mexico, Holbox Island & Hotel Mawimbi was our favorite stay out of the entire trip. Hotel Mawimbi was excellent in every sense of what I would call a perfect place to stay. The cost per night was inexpensive ($60.00 a night) and we had a lovely & clean room. A queen bed with a mosquito net, plenty of shelf space, nice size shower and bathroom, and a safe to keep all valuables. Every morning we were welcomed with coffee and a nice size complementary breakfast. Fresh fruit of the day with toast points and a creamy butter. The staff was always friendly and able to assist with anything you might need. (Including cutting down a few coconuts for us to drink). The grounds at the hotel were beautiful... we walked all around the island and aesthetically Mawimbi was the best! Tons of lounge chairs, swinging beds, hammocks, beautiful wooden tables & chairs on the beach and a beautiful bar / restaurant area on the beach. They even had a secluded out door shower, sink, and fresh towels. I was especially impressed with certain staff members who would wake up at sunrise and rake the entire property and beach and continue throughout the day to have a perfectly white sandy beach. I love that I could spend the whole day without scandals and if I needed anything, my rooms was steps away from the beach.

I would love to come back and visit Holbox Island / Hotel Mawimbi and make our entire stay on the island. If you are considering staying, I would highly recommend this hotel. I look forward to come back soon!

Room Tip: We only stayed in a cabana style room closest to the entrance of the hotel and overall it was quiet...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Adrienne F
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Just returned from a three night stay at Mawimbi and had a wonderful time. We went with friends who brought their two little dogs and the hotel was very dog friendly. The service was wonderful, the beach bar was great...very chilled-out relaxed atmosphere. We ate meals at restaurants in Holbox...and not at the hotel itself so I can't speak to that but we did have drinks and appetizers there which were really good. The beds are VERY firm which is typical of beach hotels in Mexico. The rooms are small but have great personality. Very clean. I would definitely return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: We stayed in an oceanfront room the first two nights and it was really nice. If you want to spring...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We just got back from an amazing week at Hotel Mawimbi. It is a wonderful hotel. The rooms are so cute (we were oceanfront), and very well-designed. The grounds are stunning, and so well-maintained. The loungers, beds and hammocks are abundant. We ate at the restaurant a lot and the food was great. It's paradise, and I highly recommend Mawimbi.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allison C
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed at Posada Mawimbi in the "Turtle room" for a week in November and it was a great experience. Our room had a queen sized bed and a balcony that was like none other I have seen at a hotel. It had a small table with two chairs, a hammock, and a large lounger with an umbrella. We spent a lot of time lounging on our balcony. The hotel is right on the white sand beach which has some debris due to the storms Holbox had in the weeks previous to our visit. The staff worked hard throughout the week to clean it up. Mawimbi has picturesque views and a relaxing atmosphere. All the staff provided great personalized service. We had to leave very early to go back to the airport and the staff packed us a lunch for free and it was greatly appreciated. They also arranged our transportation to Mawimbi and back to the airport. We received an email when we got back thanking us for staying at the hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others (and already have) and I hope we get to stay there again soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenna D
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I just remembered the perfect 3 days at Hol Box in this beautiful little "hom like" hotel.

People treat here like family from the moment that you arrive and that to me is the key to great service; making our guest feel welcome at all times.

The room we got was not very spacious but it was a "romantic geatway" so the less space available the better it was :) We loved the beach area and even tho it rained a lot we enjoyed every second of it laying by the chairs and eating all day at the "beach front and sand in your feet" restaurant.

If you are looking from a scape of reality this is the place! Enjoy and forget about life here because this is were you go to feel reborn again!

Thank you Mawimbi!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bothfeld1984
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was our first trip to Holbox and we stayed at Mawimbi the last week of October. We were very happy with our decision to stay here. It's all been said in other reviews - friendly and helpful staff, beautifully maintained rooms and beach, and a perfect place to relax and leave the world behind. We found the food at the Mawimbi restaurant to be quite good and competitively priced with other restaurants in town. We'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple