“Amazing, quiet, unique!”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Amazing, quiet, unique!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I think Mawimbi is for someone looking for an unique experience in HolBox. The island itself isn’t as other places near Cancun. You won’t be able to find fancy restaurants or tons of tourists. Here is quiet. I was lying on the Mawimbi beach in the morning for a couple of days and it was amazing, you don’t hear a thing except for the peaceful ocean. Sometimes it is so quiet that you don’t even hear the waves. We stayed 2 nights at the Tortuga suite. The room was spacious, clean and it has all that you need. The restaurant is also very good. Both Sofi and Paco make our stay very special. Excellent Margaritas, authentic and delicious food.
My only complaint is that they accept credit card only if you pay a extra fee, which depends on the % of how much you spend. I'd strongly recommend that you bring enough cash, as around the Island is the same thing. Other than that we have an excellent experience and we would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Patricia T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful hotel in May. While there, we explored several other hotels and resorts and came to the conclusion we were definitely booked into the best on the island. The staff and owners were incredibly helpful and friendly. The hotel was impeccably kept and after trying several other restaurants, the restaurant at the hotel ended up being our favorite place to dine. I am already thinking about our next trip there, but will definitely go a little later in the year to experience whale shark season.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank EdandPatti
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I just returned from a one week stay at Mawimbi and it was incredible. I will definitely return again. Service was top notch; from the reservations, to the housekeeping, to the restaurant (El Barquito) to the Whaleshark excursion with Andreas and even a secluded beach all to ourselves. I couldn't have been more pleased with this vacation. My first room, although small, was perfectly fine with a very comfortable king size bed, mosquito net, fan, AC and impeccably clean. I switched to another room with a balcony for the second half of my stay (because it wasn't available when I booked for the my entire stay) and I loved it, it had a very spacious balcony with hammocks that overlooked the restaurant area and had a view of the beach. Thanks to Onny, Ana, Jeevyl and Ivan my stay at the hotel was very special.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank frequentflier63
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We didn't stay at Mawimbi, but did stop in for a random lunch and it was delicious. We ate during the Mexico vs Holland World Cup game and the atmosphere was great! We had guacamole (amazing), pasta natural, breaded chicken, fajitas and shrimp tacos. All of it was just perfect, service was great (even in the midst of the big game) and the view can't be beat!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank NaomiHattaway
san francisco
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were on a Wild Ocean Adventures tour to Holbox to swim with the whale sharks and manta rays. We stayed at the Mawimbi last week and it's a great hotel. So many small decor details make it a cut above other hotels in the area. The owners are very welcoming and hospitable. The food was great - I had the guacamole and shrimp and the garlic grilled shrimp every day! :>) i also had a massage which was also very good. If you're going to Holbox, definitely the place to stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank phranq12345
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I just returned from my second stay at the Posada Mawimbi. What a great spot! The beach location is ideal yet close enough for an easy, quick walk to town. The hotel staff really goes above and beyond to make your stay peaceful and pleasant. They are friendly and helpful. The beach bar/restaurant is fun for drinks and guacamole and lunch or dinner - simple and fresh food. Our room was good size with 2 comfortable queen beds, great air conditioning when needed, adorable bathroom and it was spotlessly clean each day! The hotel grounds are so pretty and well kept with fun tropical decor. The beach beds and hammocks are kept in great condition and very comfortable for lounging. I am a picky traveller and a tough critic and mawimbi is one of my favorite places to stay!!! I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank CarterWD
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My wife and I visited Holbox this past March and had an amazingly relaxing and rejuvenating vacation. Hotel Mawimbi made the experience special. During our week stay we walked the beaches of the whole island, and while lovely, the best spot was definitely the perfectly shaded and groomed Mawimbi beachfront. Many of the locals we met in town agreed with us. This hidden gem is a must visit!

Room Tip: We stayed in the room furthest from the beach and it worked well for us. Of course if you can the be...